• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Woman arrested after racist rant on tram

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years

• You seem to be stuck on this federal/state thing. Whether covered by state or federal law, does it really matter? The fact is harassment is against the law in every state, contrary to your assertion. There are literally thousands of instances where harassment charges have been laid where the perpetrator was someone unknown to the victim.

The fact is, she was charged with harassment, in accordance with the law. Like it or not, that's the reality of it.

I'm pretty sure that what she means is that we can't say that it's a crime in every state/country as a whole, because each state considers different things done in different amounts as harassment. Essentially, what is harassment in one state might not be in the other and what is considered harassment in one state could be a entirely different crime in another state.

You know what I think our problem is? We're trying to use US law for something that happened in the UK. In UK, what happened to her is acceptable. While I think it would be better if the same thing would occur here, sad fact is that the laws here are not strict and allow for incidents like these to occur without punishment.

But still, Freaky, I'm sorry to say but really? While I see the point with what you said, harassment and sodomy are completely different. I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure that in Iran sodomy either gets life or execution. Your grasping at straws if you try to compare a crime where you are fined/jailed for a week to a crime where you are jailed for life/executed.

Years
  • So I read that the woman at the center of this had her bail denied and is going to be in jail for a while longer, until January when she's to appear at a hearing. It's for her protection, according the the judge. I suppose that's because she's been receiving death threats. She's also gotten the attention of white supremacists who are rallying to her defense.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Police/Judges/Whatever shouldn't force 'protection' on people. If they want it, they can ask for it.

Jail isn't ment to protect criminals from the general population. Its ment to protect the general population from criminals.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Police/Judges/Whatever shouldn't force 'protection' on people. If they want it, they can ask for it.

Jail isn't ment to protect criminals from the general population. Its ment to protect the general population from criminals.

Hell has officially frozen over because I agree with this 100%.

If we are to throw people in jail for their "protection", can the nation that does that truthfully call themselves a free society?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    While she was charged wit a law on the books, that doesn't make that law right. Are those convicted of sodomy in Iran not being done injustice because, hey, that's what the law is?

You cannot compare laws prohibiting two consenting adults from engaging in certain sexual acts with laws that make hate speech illegal. The two are so different and deal with entirely different issues. Honestly, I do not understand why you continually bring up sodomy laws or other laws affecting the LGBT community in threads that have nothing to do with either.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

You cannot compare laws prohibiting two consenting adults from engaging in certain sexual acts with laws that make hate speech illegal. The two are so different and deal with entirely different issues. Honestly, I do not understand why you continually bring up sodomy laws or other laws affecting the LGBT community in threads that have nothing to do with either.

I'm not saying they are the same thing. I'm just saying that just because a law is currently on the books, that doesn't make it right or just.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I'm not saying they are the same thing. I'm just saying that just because a law is currently on the books, that doesn't make it right or just.

No, but neither does it make the law invalid. I may not agree with some laws, especially those that deny rights to people, but I accept that they are the law of the land.

If there is a law you do not agree with, then work to get the law repealed or changed.

Castgurl

The Cuban Artist ~
    Years
  • *Sigh* Racist idiotic people. -Pushes them over a cliff and watches them get eaten by a pack of superomega, moon eating ,2 headed chickens with twin lasers on their wings-

If I was there, I would've gave her a very, VERY good slap across the face. Was not needed and is not needed at all.

I still have to wonder - when will it end?

Back