• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Women Wearing Make-up

Years
    What's the problem with make up?
    I see no issue as long as there isn't too much. And every girl that has a brain knows what too much is.

Scarf and Yellow, you make it seem like it's some sort of self-esteem boost drug.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    What's the problem with make up?
    I see no issue as long as there isn't too much. And every girl that has a brain knows what too much is.

Scarf and Yellow, you make it seem like it's some sort of self-esteem boost drug.

Oh believe me, not EVERY girl knows what too much is... *shudders*

And it is quite rooted in self-esteem. My good friend Tamasine has a long term boyfriend, but still wore make-up to school (her boyfriend went to another school). She certainly wasn't out to look good for the boys, she just felt more assured with it on.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I perfer to see girls with little make up but that's just me, to everyone their own.
    Lucky for me I've never seen a girl in real life that wore so much make up that she looked like a clown...
    Also lots of guys wear make up too...actually thoughout history guys have worn more make up than girls...

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

...Well, it can be, only it's not really a drug so it's that much safer. c:

It's a funny phenomenon. If you make the effort to make yourself "look nice" it subconsciously helps you feel better about yourself. This applies to many things other than makeup as well. Hygiene is a prime example everyone can relate to.

Properly applied makeup only enhances ones natural beauty and doesn't hide it, imo.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Properly applied makeup only enhances ones natural beauty and doesn't hide it, imo.
    Well, that really depends on exactly how much one puts on. Too much and it does hide one's natural beauty.

If you put on make up that blends with your skin tone, and makes it gloss a little bit, then I think that looks nice on a woman. That's what I define as bringing out their beauty. But too much of it and it just looks, well... unnatural.

Oops. Just read your post over again, and I noticed the word properly at the beginning of that sentence. Well, I guess you could consider this a short explanation on "properly" applied make up. Derp.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Yeah... I suppose it can't be helped that not everyone understands how to properly apply makeup. After all, if there are not people doing it out of naivety (or cultural differences for that matter), the hipsters will still do it out of ignorance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Because women whom otherwise wouldn't are expected as per social norms to wear makeup, they tend to be complacent about it and it ends up looking bad.
    Makeup looks great on both sexes if it's done well.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I always thought the purpose of makeup was, not to hide your features, but to bring them out? It seems like most of the people I run across who are wearing makeup these days put a ton of makeup on and they don't even look like themselves anymore. Granted, to each their own, it doesn't look very flattering and gives a very deep impression on your opinion on yourself. Psychologically speaking, I find that people who wear a lot of makeup are more interested in what other people think of them, don't have very high self-esteem, despite whatever they may appear to have, and find themselves to not be very attractive.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Its very gross seeing a lot of old women wear pounds of makeup and plus their wrinkles.....eww. I wear makeup, I wear a little bit of eyeliner and I also wear mascara. I feel that if you put on just a little bit of make up then its okay but if you put on a lot, then that is gross because I feel that you are hiding who you truly are. I agree with PY, makeup does bring your features out more, thats the main reason why I wear eyeliner and mascara just so my medium brown eyes can stand out more.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2011
    I personally think it gives another glance for your beauty in a professional way.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I wear makeup most of the days. Unfortunately, I've kinda become one of those girls who think they look a bit boring without make up. But I can go to school without it. I just... don't ^^

I sort of condemn people who wear too much though. It just looks silly. I never wear much.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Like Cassino said, either gender can be attractive with make-up when it's done well. People can be attractive without it either. It doesn't really matter. One person's preference isn't the same as everyone else's

It is sad that some girls feel like they have to be wearing it to be attractive, but only they can break out of that outlook. Otherwise there's no problem with it. It's just an extension of fashion; I don't hear anyone say that someone who takes pride in what clothes they wear is trying too hard

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I don't mind makeup, it can be put on light or heavy, and it can look bad in both cases.. but that goes for everything. You can do the wrong hairdo, or wear clothes that don't look good on you.

It's just an extension of fashion; I don't hear anyone say that someone who takes pride in what clothes they wear is trying too hard

Well said. :)

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    What's your opinion on the fact that most women wear make-up while out in public? Personally, I think the majority of women actually are more attractive without make-up on. I told this to my girlfriend that she didn't have to wear make-up to come see me, and she actually looks more attractive to me than she does with make-up. I am one of those people who doesn't particularly like when a person covers up how they look naturally because I think everyone has their own natural beauty. What are your opinions on this?

most of these girls who 'don't wear makeup' are usually wearing 'natural looking makeup'.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    What I don't like is that from a young age it becomes part of them. Some can't leave the house without some form of make-up with is sad. Lotion isn't make-up by the way xD On the subject I think it's fine when used in moderation. Eye liner and masacara make the eyes stand out but they can also over shadow it making all you see black. Foundation is good to cover break outs. Lip balms/stick/chaps I'm not so fussed about. Even vaseline makes a good effect. That's all :)

Southueki

Writer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    The skin is beautiful by itself.

So in my opinion women look better without make up.

I do agree with hydratant creams and such

Years
    What I don't like is that from a young age it becomes part of them. Some can't leave the house without some form of make-up with is sad.
    Makeup is just another branch on the tree of personal appearance. We all wear clothes, bathe, brush our teeth and hair, mask our body odors, etc. so what's one more thing? I get that if you've never worn makeup yourself it might seem excessive, but that's what we used to think about bathing every day.

What I think is sad is that it's generally not considered acceptable (or at best it's only mildly tolerated) for men to wear makeup.

Shizz

Popcorn Fantic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    To put it simply, make-up tastes bad, looks weird, and is unnecessary. I much prefer ladies to be proud of themselves for who they are, not how 'good' they can make themselves look with shark-skin made products and yak urine for scents. (perfumes, if you're wondering what I'm referring to.)

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    First of all, if the woman chooses to wear it and feels it makes her look good, then power to her. It's not about making someone attractive, because makeup can't do that. It's about enhancing what naturally exists and it's no different to someone dressing to draw her eyes out or choosing clothes that flatter her figure. It's another part of fashion and can really bring out your best physical assets when applied correctly. I don't wear it because I don't think it really suits me (not very good at applying it either, kind of heavy-handed) and I prefer the natural look myself (red lipstick, though, mmm~) but that's just me. I think the only problem with makeup is when women feel pressured to wear it because they think they can't look beautiful without it, which isn't a problem with makeup -- it's a problem with the messages that have been sent to them, and the media and people that reinforce them

If perfume counts, I wear a lot of that (not at once, I mean I wear a small amount regularly) because I like floral scents and frankly I smell damn good. It's not overpowering, it adds to a pleasant experience for both myself and everyone else.

To put it simply, make-up tastes bad, looks weird, and is unnecessary. I much prefer ladies to be proud of themselves for who they are, not how 'good' they can make themselves look with shark-skin made products and yak urine for scents. (perfumes, if you're wondering what I'm referring to.)

But wearing makeup doesn't mean you're not proud of who you are. To the contrary, a woman can be proud of who she is and want to enhance those things she's proud of. I'm proud of who I am and I still try to look my nicest (without makeup for aforementioned reasons), because presentation is important. I'm not trying to impress other people, though making a good impression is important in society (you don't need makeup to look clean and well-groomed, but it's a similar principle). It's about fun and enjoying working on one's appearance and if it's about anything more desperate than that indicates self-esteem problems, not makeup problems.

Last edited:
    Back