• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WOOHOO! Got Linux working, now for some software...

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    GIMP
    MPlayer
    MPlayer Pulg-in To watch videos in Firefox.
    Bluefish Only for programmers. Mainpage is down.
    Wine To run Windows programs.
    Some of this may be included with the Distro. Most of the other programs that you need will already be installed with it.

Yameneko549

Eat hammer!
    Years
  • J_A: I went with a minimal install, so it didn't come with many apps.

KipKip: I'll nab those later, though I won't use Wine much. The computer dualboots to WinXP, which my uncle is using right now to play poker on. Thanks for the links.

Gotta give credit to the Leo Laporte 2004 Tech Almanac, as that's what helped me set it up.

Now, to look into an iBook or iMac. Then I'll have all three platforms. ^_^;

Chaos

Just install what you want from whatever installation media you used.

Mandrake comes with a very wide selection of software. Just head into the system config and choose to install packages. I think the system config software is... DrakConf or something similar. It's been years since I used Mandrake, so I could be wrong though. I only use Debian on a regular basis, with a bit of Ubuntu on a machine I do some development on.

Or if you feel like diving into the command line, urpmi works as well. Probably not a good idea to hit the command line just yet though. And here's a hint if you're new at using Linux - don't touch the command line as root. It's just plain stupid if you don't know what's what. (In other words, you can seriously mess up your system using root - play around as an unprivileged user first.)

Chaos

Or you can wait for OS X86 to come out!
    Apple has stated, many times, that they will not allow the Intel build of OSX (when it is officially released) to run on anything aside from Apple hardware. Just because the developer release runs on fairly commodity hardware does not mean the final release will. The only reason the developer release isn't completely tied down, is because they have a way of controlling that release - they know who has what copies, and can sue the hell out of anyone who leaks it.

Drewcool said:
    You can also try PearPC for now.
    It's very slow. I'd advise against it. Just use Linux, or buy a Mac if you want to run OSX.

Back