• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Work it! The fashion club

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yayy!
    Most outlandish? That's exactly where I fall and have to admit, I've never worn anything outlandish ever... maybe that leather jacket I borrowed from my family for one night would deserve a mention, because I was still convinced to wear it despite my considerable size :(

Years
  • Hey everyone!

Username: Ash Ketchup

What kinds of fashion do you like?: I'm in a bit of a rut right now, and I tend to be in one of three basic outfits. Grungy: denim skirt, band tee / geeky top and boots / vans. Rural gal: flowing skirt, boots and cable knit sweater or summer equivalent. Boho: total hippie basically!

I also love preppy, and geek chic. I live for dresses, but the weather isn't great for most of the ones I have. If I'm somewhere with better weather, you will usually find me in a dress and sunhat. Throw in breton tops, and that's most of my wardrobe!

What interests you in fashion?: I'm not great at putting outfits together tbh, and spent many years going down the capsule wardrobe route. Now I'm trying to let go a bit. I like what I like, and I'm not particularly concerned if it's in fashion or not.

What kinds of fabric do you prefer for your clothes?: I have serious sensory issues, so I tend to only wear natural materials, such as cotton.

Are there any styles you used to like, but haven't worn in awhile? I used to wear pretty formal clothes, classic style shall we say. I tend to be a lot more casual these days.

What's the craziest/most outlandish thing you've ever worn? ... All of it ;)
    Probably some kind of fancy dress though, I have zero shame!

Photos: Not me, but this came in the mail today :)

Spoiler:

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • Another question! Do you try to match your face mask with what you're wearing?

I try to wear a black mask since black goes with everything, but at the end of the day I don't really care if my mask matches with my clothes. It's better than not wearing a mask at all.

Years
  • Do you try to match your face mask with what you're wearing?
    I own a black and orange plain mask given to me by my mother then lastly a cat mask that's colorful that my mother bought me off Amazon. Since it was supporting animals if you bought from their store online and gave donation money when you bought something from the store to animal shelters in need helping the animals. Also a few years back my mother bought me this zip hoodie jacket from them as well and has all the Chakra colors going up each side of the sleaves of the hoodie jacket. It's very unique looking and one of a kind. Now if I coordinate with all my outfits I wear I don't really mind it not matching or think it's a big deal honestly. As long as it keeps me safe wearing a mask or others safe I don't mind my mask not matching my outfit really.

Years
  • Another question! Do you try to match your face mask with what you're wearing?

To a point. Since one of my masks is the standard black one it has a way of matching most things I've got. Yay, for achromatic colors!

I also own a magenta mask, I bought it for when I am wearing something a bit more colorful. In the summer I tend to brighten up with rose tones. I have a cotton scarf that I wear in my hair often. I found it at an arts & craft store, and have worn it for years. The scarf is a pretty orchid color, and I bought the aforementioned mask specifically with that scarf in mind, because they do match almost exactly.

I also recently bought a set of linen masks that came in different earth tones. There's enough variety of colors here that I can match the mask with a fair a few things I own. I have a light khaki one, a dark espresso-colored one, another mask that's a sorta warm caramel color, a more russet/red one and a soft blush mask. I have some hats that fit these colors.

Though, as wisely pointed out already, as a long as the mask you wear keeps you safe, it doesn't matter whether it matches or not at the end of the day.

Good question from the op!

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Another question! Do you try to match your face mask with what you're wearing?

Usually no since I mostly use FFP2 masks or some of those usual, boring surgeon's mask that all look the same! I guess I wouldn't care much about it even if I had the choice though... things like those face masks, my glasses, my backpacks... it's not like I can change those items to match with each outfit because I have so few of those, and I feel the same with masks too :)

Years
  • I found a vintage-themed beauty channel on YouTube called Glamourdaze, and watched some precious historical footage that I really enjoyed, and thought I would share. I thought our fashion club Work It or the beauty club Cerulean Spas seemed like places where it might be appreciated.

It was interesting to see this 1940s film of geishas in Kyoto caught on camera.

I was amused by the early 60s English fashion ad as well. The models looked to me rather like heroines from an Alfred Hitchcock film.

I also found the cutest cosmetic commercial I have ever seen. It's an ad from the late 60s for the brand shiseido.

Years
  • Whoops, my apologies for being an inactive host. I'll ask another question: What patterns (if any) do you like to wear?

I love, love, love polka dots, yet I have virtually none in my wardrobe 😕

I would say the pattern I wear the most is good old Breton stripes, my wardrobe is full of them. I'm also quite partial to Fair Isle and Nordic patterns in the winter :)

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I can't believe I haven't joined this yet!

Also excuse the deleted post before this, I pressed post by accident whilst I was trying to copy over the questions to respond to. :D

Username: Aslan

What kind of fashion do you like?:

I like having a wardrobe where I can match a lot of existing clothing items together! I think the overall clothes I wear lean towards minimalistic but I make them more interesting through jewellery, handbags and shoes. If the overall outfit co-ordinates and fits well then I'm happy! Not sure of how to describe it, I would say my style is feminine, smart casual most of the time and can venture into the looks seen for more preppy/academia outfits but not quite fully in those territories.

I use Pinterest and Youtube to get ideas for outfits I like so I've noticed a few clothing items I like in particular as a whole: non-skinny jeans, miniskirts, cardigans, cropped tops/singlets basic coloured tops and sweaters that can be paired with accessories such as necklaces, handbags and nice shoes like boots. I also like coats and blazers when I'm feeling fancier. I adore the fashion in the Queen's Gambit and would steal Beth Harmon's wardrobe if I could.

I could go on but here's some photos of what I mean to illustrate. For some of the outfits, would add accessories to make them more interesting but overall these are some of the styles I vibe with. I'm sure there's better pics/many more styles but I literally just pulled a few images from Pinterest that I'd saved. I don't think my fashion is in particular unique but I enjoy it :'D

Spoiler:

What interests you in fashion?:

I got super interested in fashion within the last year I would say. Growing up, I wasn't into fashion at all! It never occurred to me to be something to be interested in. Going to university, I realised how little I knew about fashion as I had never had to think of it much since our high school had a uniform.

Initially I just wanted to find clothes I felt more grown up in. I used to wear a lot of hoodies, graphic tees and skinny jeans which looks great on other people but it just never felt like me and also I have a young face so people were mistaking me for a lot younger than I actually was a lot of the time. I knew I wanted to change my style but since my wardrobe had been built in that direction since my early teens, I had no idea where to begin.

So I did some exploring into fashion videos and it turns out I love fashion. When I started getting a sense of my personal style, taking the active effort to figure out the clothes I liked and to build a wardrobe I was happy with, I was so drawn into how fashion can be a fun form of self-expression. I love matching together clothes, they can make you feel so much more confident when you wear something you're happy with. I also found out I really love jewellery and accessories like handbags! Clothes shopping used to be a total chore to me but now that I know what I like, I love it. It's so fun to go shopping with friends.

What kinds of fabric do you prefer for your clothes?

I haven't thought about this! I have an expected level of comfort and quality for clothes I buy. I change the expectations based on what I know about the brand or the price, as long as I feel like I am getting value and wear for my money I'm open to wearing most fabrics.

Are there any styles you used to like, but haven't worn in awhile?

Yes! Though I never actively brought any of these styles to life, I had been exploring different styles I wanted to try in HS but never got the confidence to do. I remember being into a super colourful 90s style for a while when I was in my early teens. It was fun to look at but in practice, I think I would have outgrown it quickly and would have replaced my entire wardrobe later. So I'm glad I didn't act on that.

What's the craziest/most outlandish thing you've ever worn?

I have never worn anything that outlandish! I remember the first time I tried to wear a crop top, it was not even that cropped by most people's standards but I was like !!!! This is scandalous. I think after getting over the initial shock of wearing one, I love wearing cropped tops now though. Never anything too revealing but they can look amazing when paired with certain types of clothes like cardigans, skirts, non-skinny jeans etc.

Actually now that I am thinking about it, the most outlandish thing I've ever worn... Tom and Jerry leggings when I was 11. Bright blue and had both of the characters on it. It was not a good time for me! The atrocity of those Tom and Jerry leggings was too much. I donated them.

Do you try to match your face mask with what you're wearing?

Not consciously. I have a few items in my closet that go well with an ordinary face mask but I have never owned a face mask outside the default surgical mask that most people wear! I think it's neat how people have made the most out of wearing a face mask and people are making customised or patterned or different coloured ones. It's interesting to see the different designs people wear on theirs.

What patterns (if any) do you like to wear?

I've noticed I still tend to like plaid or checkered patterns at least in items such as skirts, dresses or coats but other than that, not that I can think of!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I definitely have to become a member of this lovely club. There is almost nothing I adore more than fashion.

Username: Ninetales.

There are a plethora of styles I enjoy, lately I've been getting more into street fashion, though I also love grunge, cottagecore, y2k, 90s/70s fashion, etc.

Some of my favourite pieces include slip dresses (especially silk ones) chunky doc martens shoes, Jordan AJs (retro high tops), mom jeans, tennis/pleated skirts. And I'm all about accessories!!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Literally no one needs or wants to know this but I bought the SEXIEST booty shorts that arrived today that has a Death Grips logo and everything. Like, it's so revealing and no one will ever see me in them but DAMN I feel like a hot bitch in the mirror. They ride pretty high up my midriff and have a wide crosshatching fabric pattern up and down the sides.

They also happen to compliment the faux leather jacket I bought with a massive amount of spikes, studs, belts, and zippers. All of this on top of a new pair of faux leather ankle-high boots with chains and rivets. They don't have a heel per-se but the tread is probably 2" high.

Pair with some fishnets and a collar and I am REALLY feeling punk-grunge Fairy lately (and it is the WORST weather for it lmao). But I've been due for a new wardrobe that captures when I want to feel badass.

Years
  • I'm currently shopping for a new handbag. I'm browsing Etsy. I would like something casual and bohemian, made from soft, natural fabric like linen, hemp or organic cotton, ideally eco-friendly. I'm cool with second hand or upcycled materials. Embroidery or patchwork could be fun.

These are a couple that I am considering, haven't decided yet, still looking.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I'm currently shopping for a new handbag. I'm browsing Etsy. I would like something casual and bohemian, made from soft, natural fabric like linen, hemp or organic cotton, ideally eco-friendly. I'm cool with second hand or upcycled materials. Embroidery or patchwork could be fun.

I love the first! All of them have such a quaint, vintage vibe. Very your style. Last one is my second favourite, it's an excellent statement bag.

Years
  • Here's a question for all you lovely peeps...

Sales. More specifically in-shop sales. Do you love them or hate them?

Round here people go crazy and can act a bit wild. It's also sometimes pretty difficult to find things that are crammed on a sale rail.

I sure do love a bargain though. Do you avoid sales, or do you live for them?

Years
  • A sale is always a bonus. If I see there's a sale going on then I'm probably going to browse to see if there's something that I am interested available at a knocked down price. I'm not the best at keeping up with what's going on though, so I usually happen upon a sale by luck, unless it's the holidays. If I know the holiday season and I anticipate Black Friday or New Year's coming then I try to coordinate purchasing around that time, knowing that it's a tradition to offer discounts, and it also helps you save money when buying holiday gifts for your loved ones.

Most sales I participate in come from online or mail-in catalogs since I am used to getting notifications about them in my mailbox or inbox. I like online shopping because I am in a super-big city and being able to order things from all over the country or internationally really opens up the possibilities. I do like to shop in person though when I am travelling and seeing new, exciting things, it's a way of exploring the city and finding unusual things.

I would avoid crowds now with the pandemic, but typically I could tolerate a crowded boutique or street if there's really something worth getting. What I do hate though is traffic, and sometimes I do hesitate during the holidays if I fear that a 20 minute drive will last over an hour because of the busy traffic.

Years
  • Over the years I've had all kinds of great stuff from them! They're particularly good for scarfs and finding well made (proper old fashioned quality) coats!

I haven't been to one in quite some time unfortunately though, and I do wonder how well they will fare in a post pandemic world :(

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I can't believe I haven't joined this yet!

I definitely have to become a member of this lovely club. There is almost nothing I adore more than fashion.

Username: Ninetales.

There are a plethora of styles I enjoy, lately I've been getting more into street fashion, though I also love grunge, cottagecore, y2k, 90s/70s fashion, etc.

Some of my favourite pieces include slip dresses (especially silk ones) chunky doc martens shoes, Jordan AJs (retro high tops), mom jeans, tennis/pleated skirts. And I'm all about accessories!!

So sorry I missed your applications! I added you both on the list :)

And to answer my own question about thrift shops... there's a store that sells gently used clothes called Plato's Closet (not sure if anyone has heard of them) and I got a cool lavender mesh top there for $2. Not sure if I'm brave enough to wear it in public yet but I have worn it under a t-shirt and I really liked how it looked. $2 well spent

Back