• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Working with resolution 320x288, need help for scripting

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
Years
  • My Pokemon game I'm making in Essentials 2012/01/08 is based on the GSC games, so it uses graphics and sounds from those games.
    I've put my project in a resolution of 320x288 px, and configured color of text, PS and XP bars, but I still have issues with coordinates of sprites and other graphics, specially in the battle screen, and I'm tired of those issues.

Please, I need help from any scripting expert for Pokemon Essentials, I'm not a scripter and I want my game to look like the GSC games, not the RSE ones.

The fixes I need are for:

- Wild Battle screen (except double battle)
    - Trainer Battle screen (except double battle)
    - Naming Hero/Rival/Pokemon screen
    - Pokemart list
    - PC Pokemon storage
    - PC item storage
    - Pokedex
    - Bag screen
    - Pokemon team screen
    - Trainer Card

One last thing I need, I've tried to put the Pokemon GB font into the game, but I don't know how to adjust the size of the text. As I said before, I'm not a scripter.

I hope some scripting expert can help me to make my Pokemon game look even more like the vintage ones, not just graphycally, but with the correct resolution and coordinates.

Here you have some screenshots of my project, so you can get a better view of my issues:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2020
    That Abomasnow is much too large to fit next to the arrow. That Bulbasaur show in the storage system: the bar makes sure that there is no room for pokemon next to it.

I'm sure you've noticed these things too. So you'll have to change more than just some coordinates.

First: nobody will do this for you, as it is way to much work. But let's give some advice.

I'll start with, 'why change the screen size?', because, simply put, keeping the screen size as it is in essentials doesn't mean you cannot create a GBC feel. If you really don't want the player to see that many tiles at once, try making a framework around the overworld view to cover up tiles you want hidden. The battlesystem and the storage system can then remain untouched.

If you do want to keep your new screen size, you'll have to learn some basic scripting. Actually, you don't have to be able to write any scripts, but you'll have to be able to read it. Then, you can find the coordinates yourself. Sometimes, where to look is pretty straightforward: I think you might be able to solve the storage thing just by looking at 'PokemonStorage'.

If there is anything in particular that you cannot find or fix, just put another question on this forum. But be specific, not like: 'The fixes I need are for', but more like: 'I'm looking for the place in the code where the coordinates of the pokemon icons in the pokemon storage are', and then when someone says 'look at the part def refresh around line 1940 in PokemonStorage'*, you'll know what to do.

Good luck :)

*This is an example and probably not the complete answer to the question mentioned.

Boonzeet

Pokémon Secrets of the Ages Developer
    Years
  • Honestly one of the best ways to learn is trial and error. Just don't change too much at once, and play around with the co-ordinates of everything.

The way the battlers are positioned, for example, is in the script section "PokeBattle_SceneConstants" and is from lines 74-90.

As for the font size, look for this section in SpriteWindow (I believe it should be around line 1728, I've edited mine though):

def pbSetSystemFont(bitmap)
    fontname=MessageConfig.pbGetSystemFontName()
    bitmap.font.name=fontname
    if fontname=="Alagard" || fontname=="AlagardZ"
    bitmap.font.size=28
    elsif fontname=="Power Green"
    bitmap.font.size=29
    elsif fontname=="Pokemon Emerald Small" || fontname=="Power Green Small"
    bitmap.font.size=25
    else
    bitmap.font.size=31
    end
    end

All it requires is adding in an elsif for your font and its corresponding bitmap font size.

Hope this helps!

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • Thank you for your answers, I know scripting is a hard work, well, I actually wasn' trying to request ONE person to make all the scripts for me, but a few ones with knowledge and some already done scripts of what I was looking for, but if I bothered you a lot because my request, then I feel really, really sorry.

Well, as you can see in my screenshots, some of the graphics were made for the 480x320 resolution, but I can assure you that all the pokemon (Abomasnow included) and trainers sprites were made in 56x56 format and 48x48 for backsprites before being put in 64x64 margin for Essentials, I want my game to look almost perfectly like the GBC ones, so I make sure sprites and other graphics respect the 320x288 resolution.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help and hints for scripting. thank you all!

Last edited:
    Back