• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Population to hit 7 Billion

Years
  • The idea that we can eventually go into space/go to another planet to take care of our population problem is such a pie in the sky idea. We only made it to the moon in half a decade of space flight and nowhere else in the solar system is particularly suited for human life. That would take a lot of planning, like we should be starting that yesterday, in order to make it feasible. But really, we should be better about using the resources we do have, like making sure that everywhere in the world you go there are the right machines and infrastructure to make the best use of the land there.

And regarding something someone said about people in parts of Africa wanting children - I think part of the problem is that many women aren't able to stop having children because they don't have contraception/don't know how to use it. They end up spending all their time raising children when they could be going to school, learning things, getting themselves out of poverty, and even coming up with new ideas and solutions for dealing with whatever local problems they have.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's like finding a needle in a hay stack... it's hard to predict, so this time tomorrow our population will be 7 billion eh!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • The only way to shrink the world population is to go back to times before industrialization.

That obviously won't happen, though.

Not really.

Widespread enforcement of 1 child policies will work. By enforcement, I mean having tubes tied and whatever the male equivalent is.

Exceptions to be had for twins/triplets/whatever. I guess it would be single pregnancy instead of 1 child though.

That said, the population was increasing before industrialization. While it caused a massive jump in growth rates, the population was still increasing before it happened. We'd still have the same issues even if industrialization never happened.

Last edited:

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
  • Oh, population, you so crazy. There's not really much anyone can do about it, either. I believe that one of the only ways that society will be able to keep up with the population is to utilize our resources differently, similar to industrialization.

I wouldn't question "how to stop overpopulation," but rather "how to cope with overpopulation." In a few hundred years, that's going to be fun for everyone (or at this rate, in ten years :P).

Years
  • Well, it's not a big surprise anymore for the population to reach 7 Billion this year. In fact, the 7 Billionth baby was born here in the Philippines, particularly in Manila. Why did I say it's not a big surprise anymore? Because a lot of people doesn't know how to plan their family. They don't know family planning or they don't do family planning. And the worst is that powerful and wealthy religious institutions opposes modern family planning methods, one of them is the Roman Catholic church (RCc). Here in the Philippines, the women are struggling for the Reproductive Health (RH) Bill but the RCc opposes this. For me, we can solve this overpopulation problem if and only if we know how to plan our family.

Years
  • Well, it's not a big surprise anymore for the population to reach 7 Billion this year. In fact, the 7 Billionth baby was born here in the Philippines, particularly in Manila. Why did I say it's not a big surprise anymore? Because a lot of people doesn't know how to plan their family. They don't know family planning or they don't do family planning. And the worst is that powerful and wealthy religious institutions opposes modern family planning methods, one of them is the Roman Catholic church (RCc). Here in the Philippines, the women are struggling for the Reproductive Health (RH) Bill but the RCc opposes this. For me, we can solve this overpopulation problem if and only if we know how to plan our family.

Comprehensive family planning, as well as an overall education boost (Not just sexual education, education in general) would pretty much fix the problem. It fixes a lot of problems, actually.

Back