• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst parts of SM!

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Lag has anything to do with a system being "buggered." Lots of people seem to be noticing great lag during double and multi-battles too, so it isn't just me.

it might be something with all your systems or games then. Like i said i've done a lot of multi/double battles so far and i cant remember the last time i lagged. I also play this game a lot, on my as old as and old 3ds can get. So that's why im saying maybe its something with your games or systems, or im just the lucky fuck with a game that isnt laggy. The thing damn game stays at black screen for like 20 secconds when i start the thing up though, On many occasions i thought my system crashed, but then the game finally loaded. Again i cant remember the last time i lagged, and i experience a lot of lag on my pc games, i'm not gonna miss seeing shitty game lag.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I bought a New Nintendo 3DS about three weeks ago, and I get lag when I am in SOS battles. It is definitely a demanding battle system this time :(

For me:

1. Not being able to press "B" to skip learning a move is slightly irritating.
    2. SOS battles can be irritating if you don't want them to occur.
    3. I find it difficult to get money in this game, even with the Amulet Coin.
    4. The trainer battles are really easy because they usually have only a couple of Pokemon.
    5. Team Skull, while providing comic relief, is the worst team to come out of Pokemon since DPPt's horror squad.
    6. There was never an actual tutorial regarding how to use the online features. It was not evident that accessing Festival Plaza was necessary. I needed third-party resources to figure out how to make the online work.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    All the cut scenes are terrible. especially on low battery...
    I was really close to put the game aside after it took me nearly 2 h to get going.)compare that to max 1/2 h in gen 1-3 and even then so often interrupted by cutscenes and getting told where exactly to go etc. I know other games had some ideas where to go but they didnt rub it in all the time and they still had somewhat of a choice(like rby once past lt surge it was your choice) or in gsc once past ecruteak was up to you as well and you get really hold by the hand in this one..

At some point it nearly felt like those games that have merely cut scenes and you move a character from cut scene to cutscene without any actual independent movement.

Also I so miss bicycles, Bicycles are my fav item and I love zooming around with it, not such a fan of riding the pokemon(except sharpedo) but the gear you put on is pretty ugly.

Also I havent encountered yet any electro pokemon... and I really miss just zapping the birds with some electricity

another thing, this game it would be so easy to get a whole bird team, fire bird here, grass bird starter, water birds, and all the other birds so many birds lol.
    I don't like having to push A for going through doors, I guess they made it so they can have more doors that one can't walk through.. and related to that , there are so many unaccessible places ...

I also agree with the assertion further above about the PC come on show some more variety, Hau at least doesnt smile all the time, but the PC just stands there with that friendly greeter smile .

I have got a newN3DS and don't have laggy battles..

I am a casual player ,
    I think the game is too easy this one must be easiest so far, I think the only NPC with 6 characters as far as I have come in the game was the head of aether foundation.
    I havent even been close to being beaten

Last edited:

masterxy

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • The thing that annoys me the most is the old EXP mechanics combined with the new EXP share. I actually like the old EXP mechanics, makes it harder for strong Pokemon to overlevel and encourages the use of the other Pokemon in your team. But the EXP share just sucks for it. Sure it's fine during the main story but post game it's absolutely horrible to train weaker Mons with it. Say you use a level 100 Mon in the first party slot and a lot of low leved Mons you want to train in the rest of the slots. In XY and ORAS you could fight some level 50ish Pokemon that way and get lots of EXP for your low leveled Mons. But with the old EXP mechanics my main fighter will get greatly reduced EXP due to the level difference and therefore all the other Mons in my party will get even less from the EXP-Share. I wish they would have accommodated the EXP-Share for that and make the level ratio have influence on the EXP gained AFTER they have been split by the EXP-Share. Now you have to do the old "Pokemon to train in first slot and switch out for strong one on battle start" again which was the sole thing the EXP-Share was made for to get rid of.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Now that I've played a little more I can now say that Festival Plaza is trash compared to PSS. It's really hard to make trades when it doesn't tell you when someone else is requesting a trade and it sucks that you have to reconnect to Wifi every time you go back to the Festival Plaza and that you have to wait in the Plaza when you're waiting for someone to connect. The great thing about PSS was that you could do whatever you want while you wait for the request and now everything is stalled...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    As much as I love Festival Plaza I have to admit that for connectivity purposes, the PSS is leagues better. If they absolutely had to take this approach, at least make there be a "Friends List" in addition to the "Guest List" and "VIP List." Even when my friend and I are both online, we may not even appear in each other's Plaza! And since I mostly use the VIP function to keep players who have Facilities I may want in the future, I don't assign all my friends list friends as VIPs. And I know I said this before but it really does need StreetPass connectivity. XY gave you PokéMiles for each player you passed; SM should have given you FC based on the number of people you passed.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Alright! 100 percented pretty much everything minus the Battle Tree, so here's my main complaints. I will say overall, this is probably the best Pokemon game to date. There are some problems, but they are relatively minor in the grand retrospect of things. These are probably where the games have the most problems for me:

Main Problems:

S.O.S Battles Could Have Been Implemented Better:

I understand what they were going for in this game and it works....some of the time. First of all, in my honest opinion, S.O.S battles should only occur with Totems or with the Adrenaline Orb. In all other instances, there should be a rare chance of encountering a chain. That way, it isn't annoying when I try to catch a Pokemon, and it keeps calling for help every five seconds. Also, Pokemon with Sweet Kiss/Sing cough Cleffa cough should NEVER be allowed to call for help. EVER. (My god, trying to get a Clefairy was super annoying) Not to mention that some Pokemon for this generation such as Mareanie can ONLY BE OBTAINED BY THIS METHOD. Regardless if the Pokemon is good or not, it did not make up for the hell many others and I had to go through.(Other than giving perfect IVs/Shinies).

Speaking of which....

The Low Encounter Rate Is Bullshit:

Why the hell are Pokemon NATIVE TO THE REGION THEY POPULATE RARE?!!! This makes no sense and made it even harder to get the Pokemon I wanted. Almost a majority of the 7th gen Pokemon that are good either have to be obtained from S.O.S mechanics, have a 8% catch rate or less, or have some b.s. mechanic that makes it even harder to find. Want to use a Stufful or Mimikyu? Good luck with that 5% encounter rate. God forbid you want a Pokemon that appears with a 1% encounter rate during a certain time of day. You will NEVER find it. I was lucky to get Mimikyu after a couple of tries, but Pokemon like Stufful and Grubbin took me hours. Unless it is a special legendary or pseudo, no regular Pokemon should have a encounter rate LOWER THAN 5%. It should not take me hours to find an Alolan Pokemon native to that region. I figured most of the Pokemon were made this way to make them more "satisfactory" to find, but all it proved was that GTS could actually be...shudders* " a better option" to get the Pokemon you want.

As for Alolan Forms....

I agree with a lot of people here when saying that... Alolan Forms Are A Missed Opportunity:

To be fair, a majority of Alolan forms are viable such Ninetales, Raichu, Maworak, Muk and even Persian (with fur Coat) or Dugtrio, but other than that, they are either worse like Raticate or simply stink because their base stats don't change at all. (looking at you Geodude). Seriously, why the hell make the form if you are not going to change anything about it to make it better? Also, having these forms limited to only Kanto was a terrible decision. There are so many other Pokemon like Sunflora, or Mothim, or even Paras, that could benefit from a form like this, but nope, they are left in the dust. I get it's the 20th Anniversary, but there could have been so much more that we unfortunately didn't get.

As For More Pokemon Related Problems:

A lot of the 7th gen Pokemon are too slow for their own good:

I understand they did this to give the game a slow type of feel and I give credit where it's due, it works for almost all the Pokemon. Almost. Because there are Pokemon from other regions in this game which are faster than the Pokemon you have, it becomes HARDER to make decent team purely made of Alolan Pokemon that won't get hit first turn. It also doesn't help that Pokemon like Lurantis would be so much better if they had some more speed given to them, but I'll digress. The main reason why this is a problem is because it does discourage you from using some Alolan Pokemon as there are so many other Pokemon from other regions in the game you could use instead.

Festival Plaza Kinda Sucks?...:

I don't want to say it's terrible, it's very cool in concept and for the most part it never annoyed me too much, but if you were to ask me which I liked better, it's P.S.S. I get they wanted something fresh, but it is so annoying trying to get friends on my friend list, I just gave up. Having a list is cool, but needing to have your friend BE ONLINE and needing to talk to them to register them as "V.I.P" is pure annoyance. I will give credit that GTS finally has a LEGENDARY NON-INCLUSION SYSTEM, but it doesn't make up for the layout being crappy. Also, trying to get higher ranked facilities are a pain. They could have easily used the template from Black and White 2's Passerby Mall thing as it is easily so much better.

U.B's. Don't Appear Until Post Game:

This is so disappointing. I was so hyped to see some inclusion of UB's in the story and it only happened like once. Let me explain. Nihilego plays a huge role in the story and that's cool, it's the first U.B we see, but when we see the other Ultra Beasts appear, they only show them once, and then cut away.... and not have any semblance of closure until post game. I thought we were supposed to go around and catch the U.B's after Lusamine released them, but no, it's implied the Kahuna's took care of them? What? They could of at least shown us something to make up for that absense before POST GAME. ( And no, Hala being there when it happens doesn't cut it. They never show him do anything after that.) And even then, after the Looker Sidequest is done, I'm left with more questions than answers. I really wish they gave us more to do with them, because I really love the concept, but the execution is so "meh".

THE LAG:

Dat Lag though XD......but seriously I was wondering why there were so little double battles and I understand why. On the New 3dXL it's alright. Barely any lag. For those with an old model, y'all screwed over. It's such a shame because it's more of a hardware problem than with the actual game, but it is so distracting that it takes away from the gameplay a bit. And considering the fact the Gamefreak pushed the limit of an already almost 6 year-old system, makes it even harder to avoid. I hope if that Stars rumor is true, we don't have lag on the next installment.

Lack Of Rematchable trainers:

This hurts the Post-Game so much. I wanted to raise some Pokemon to get stronger(as well as complete the Pokedex), but it's almost not worth it considering how hard it is to grind in this game. Thankfully, this game is very balance, but the trainers are not one of these things. The only trainers you can really rebattle again are the Elite 4, Challenge Title Opponents, and the Gamefreak Director, as well as the Battle Cafe Trainers. That's it. This is made even worse when the Pokemon's levels are 30 levels under you with the highest being in the mid to late 60s. If you want to grind, you have to resort to these battles plus Pony Gauntlet....which the highest level cap is 59. Needless to say, it sucks.

These issues really hindered the game for me as a whole, but not enough to make me quit. I hope that Gamefreak can improve on these for the future.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    - NPCs who play a talking animation despite not saying anything
    For example that person in the Battle Tree who gives you your BPs after a fight.

- B doesn't default to not learning a move during battle

- no Mawilite
    Really would have liked to use this one...even if I had to wait for Pokebank to come out.

- no perma-only function
    Kinda sucks if I have to leave Festival Plaza just for a short time, but need to reconnect to the internet when I get back and try to trade something.

- psychopath-dolly the protagonist
    Emotionless staring and hands almost all the time aligned like a little puppet during cutscenes. Though, the staring made me appreciate those mirrored glassed which turned the look of my character from "I will kill you in your sleep" to "Yo, I'm awesome; just watch me handle this shit"

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Horde EV training is still better than SOS EV training, though buffed Power items are very nice

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Well, SOS chaining is only good if you know what pokemon give which IVs, which isn't that hard to find out though.

Years
  • - SOS battles are annoying, what's worse is when some Pokemon are only obtainable with this method. Took me a whole day to catch Mareanie because Corsolas rarely called Pokemon.
    - The opening and tutorials of the game took FOREVER. Could have at least given us an option to skip it.
    - My Pikachu missed out on Electro Ball because it took me a while to evolve it when it was a Pichu. So I had to keep my Pikachu from evolving until level 42. Only electric move I had until then was Volt Tackle.
    - A lot of Pokemon I wanted to use on my team are only available post-game. There's also barely a National Pokedex.
    - The protagonists creepy, never changing smile.
    - I don't think there was that guy with six Magikarps!

Years
  • - SOS battles are annoying, what's worse is when some Pokemon are only obtainable with this method. Took me a whole day to catch Mareanie because Corsolas rarely called Pokemon.
    - The opening and tutorials of the game took FOREVER. Could have at least given us an option to skip it.
    - My Pikachu missed out on Electro Ball because it took me a while to evolve it when it was a Pichu. So I had to keep my Pikachu from evolving until level 42. Only electric move I had until then was Volt Tackle.
    - A lot of Pokemon I wanted to use on my team are only available post-game. There's also barely a National Pokedex.
    - The protagonists creepy, never changing smile.
    - I don't think there was that guy with six Magikarps!

I didn't evolve my Pichu until Lv20, but I then evolved her into Raichu as soon as I got a Thunder Stone because I didn't want a weak Pokemon for too long, which meant I had to resort to Gigavolt Havoc for my Alolan Raichu's Z-Move until I finally got to the Elite Four. Game Freak made a huge mistake with putting the Move Relearner right before the Elite Four.

National Pokedex doesn't even exist in Sun & Moon. That's why you don't see any Pokedex number for non-Alolan native Pokemon caught through Island Scan.

I also paid attention to the protagonist's lack of emotions. The cutscenes were already long and annoying as is, but seeing the protagonist do nothing but smiling when other characters are usually reacting to the situation proves how much of a blank state the protagonist really is.

And yes, this was actually the first generation to have no fisherman with six Magikarp. I know Hoenn didn't have any six Magikarp team Fisherman either, but FR/LG was a thing so 3rd Gen still had one.

The hours long introduction. Ugh.

Yeah I hated the long cutscenes at the beginning. I wanted to like start playing already, but also because it was a nightmare for people if they wanted to soft-reset for a shiny Alola starter.

Denrew

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • When you can't* even use your own room to change your clothes and you
    have to visit the shop just to change.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    Too many un-needed cutscenes. Also, an opponent should not be able to guess what move type you are using. There were a handful of times where I was about to use a move that would have been super-effective against a storyline trainer. It would be the first time using that move in the battle, so how would they know that I am about to use a move of a super effective type?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Its a nightmare to restart the game. I need to re-watch all these cut scenes again .. Which were boring the first time as well.
    I feel like my character is being taken from one cutscene to another

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    - The missing of a National Pokédex is the biggest issue.
    - Smeargle that lost all it's power (You can't use any Smeargle with Dark Void any more.)
    - Some of the Mega evolutions that are lost, like Mega Gardevoir.
    - The rarity of bottle caps
    - SOS calling is annoying when you want too catch a Pokémon.
    - The lack off improvement in the GTS (well, their backed improved), you can't chose the nature of the Pokémon
    - Talonflame's hidden ability that became nothing
    - The mass new Fairy types. Dragons are at a serious disadvantage now

However their are a lot of improvements, and it does have a really good storyline.

ManaphyLv100

Legendary Ranger
    Years
  • I don't have many complaints, really. However:

-No National Pokédex. Seriously? That's just annoying.
    -Linearity. My goodness, it's worse than BW, and that's saying something. I miss the roadblocks that were actually logical, like Psyduck with headaches (DP remakes plz).
    -Weather SOS Battles. Ugh, getting Castform is a chore. I don't mind SOS battles in general, though.
    -Some of the nerfs. Talonflame was fine, dammit! Meanwhile, the Parental Bond nerf only minimally affects Seismic Toss or Power-Up Punch spam, and M-Salamence is still god even with a slightly weaker Aerilate. I also think Dark Void was overdone - just making it fail for non-Darkrai should have been sufficient.

On the other hand, I am so glad they finally added Mega Stones to the battle event opponents. The Maison was a pushover.

Back