• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Pokemon Game Hero Designs

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Lucas and lol Hilbert (Hilbert? who does that to a child?), for sure. Lucas probably has the most boring design in the main games so far. That hat is pretty strange-looking too, I might add. As for Hilbert, I didn't find him terribly interesting either. The fact that his jacket opens at the bottom always kinda bothered me and his haircut's kinda strange, haha. And just the fact that his name is... Hilbert. Hilbert. Honestly, they couldn't pick a different name? I really would have preferred if they just called Hilbert and Hilda "Black" and "White." Game Freak must have been on something when they named them. o_o

Ugh and Hilbert rhymes with Dilbert so now every time I see him I think of those Dilbert comics. :/

/rant

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I don't like the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum male player sprite. I also dislike the original Gold and Silver hero sprite. He was way too similar to Red. I hate Lyra's sprite in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I can only see her hat when I play as her. I'm not going to go into the spin off games.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    Sorry Crystal fans, but Crystal's design is by far my least favorite female character design. It's like neon lights from Las Vegas personified themselves into a ten year old girl. Seriously, her official art is eye burning.

Also I'm agreeing with everyone who said Lucas. It's not like he's terrible or anything, but his design just looks so uninspired and odd in comparison to the other male heroes that it looks like he should belong in generation 2 or 3, not 4.

Last edited:

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Ugh, Brendans hat/hair confused me so much back then O.o And the less I say about Lucas' hat the better. I think either Red or BLAIR (I refuse to call him Hilbert. Name reminds me of people who go on the Jeremy Kyle show..) Are the best male designs, I'm not too fussed what they look like though tbh :)

Shadow101thehedgehog

It all starts with this...
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 17, 2014
    Least favorite male hero: Diamond/Lucas. I hate his design and hat. My favorite male hero is Easily Gold.

Least favorite female hero: Lyra. My favorite female hero is White/BW female protagonist.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Ethan -- the new one -- is probably the worst hero design. I like Gold, and I like Lyra, but there's just something about that kid that seems inherently wrong when compared to the old one.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    Brendan and Lucas are both horrid.
    Lyra's pretty bad too.

My favorites are Red (obviously), Gold, and the B/W female player character. (Not sure on her agreed-upon name. Is it White?)

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
    ...I kinda liked the Beret (the doctor in me screaming "berets ARE cool") well anyways, back on topic
    I have to say the most out of all the sprites and characters SoulSilver/HeartGold's version of Gold and Crystal are just terrible. I know he looked very similar to Red in the original, but that's what I liked about him. He was the guy with the backwards cap, he broke all the rules ^_^
    I don't even want to begin with "Lyra" she was just a terrible choice, an annoying character in both appearance and story value. Lyra acually does enough harm to the game where it almost feels like a strange and terrible Phillips CDI remake. (I do detest her that much)
    Also... Ethan and Lyra are just...bad.....names....

/rant

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Pokemon XD's Character:
    Thissssss especially when you compared him to Colosseum's protagonist. The hair and the 'I look less then 10!' was just eh for me. D/P's one is probably the one I like the least from the main games, and as for female protagonists... I'm not sure. Lyra or the B/W one, although fanart of her always looks better than the canon art to me for some reason of the latter.

Backup

Maybe Next Time
    Years
    Gosh, there were some pretty bad designs for the protagonists.

I really dislike Ethan, Crystal, Lyra, Dawn, and Lucus.

For Ethan, I mean, what are those pants!? Who wears pants like that?!

Crystal, what is up with her hair and that weird cap on her head? And her coat. D:

And the overalls on Lyra! Gosh, what were they thinking?! Her hat, as well.

I've never liked Dawn, I don't know why. I think that it may be her hair and all of that pink she wears. Ew. And those tall pink boots with a tiny tiny tiny tiny little skirt.

Lucus, I mean. His beret! D: Whyyyy. I think that his Platinum outfit was much worse than his original. :(

And I thought that the protagonist from Colosseum was coolieo! :D He's so different, I like him! Not the XD Protagonist though. What is up with him!? :( I didn't really like the protagonists from the Ranger games, either. =/

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I can't say that I like the B/W male, he's just.... boring. I think Brenden is decent at best, Leaf is pretty boring, Lyra looks bad (Seriously, they should have just re-done the Kris sprite, sure it's not the best, but it's miles better than Lyra.) Lucas was terrible.

As for all the rest, they're all pretty decent. Except for Gold, he's probably the best looking hero out of all of them. On the female side, Dawn and May are okay, and the B/W female doesn't look half bad in my opinion. (Or maybe she just looks good compared to her bland male counterpart.)

Years
    The worst might have to be Kris she's only in one game and really she isn't the best-looking girl.

For the guys, I think Red looks way too much like Ash.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    The worst guy IMO is Brendan. What the heck is up with his hair/hat? And the worst design for the girls is Lyra. What's up with HER hat? I wouldn't mind her as much, if she didn't show up all the time with her annoying-as-hell Marrill. Why didn't they just reuse Kris?

I think they need to stop it with the hats next generation.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I liked them all actually. But for the least favorite, for male, it's actually Lucas. I mean a beret, seriously? For female, it's Leaf. Leaf's design is actually quite plain.

I love the design for Lyra and Brendan. I love Brendan's hat and I wish I had one and Lyra's design is so cute that I had to play as her 2/3 of my replay in SS.

Back