• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Rival

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I can see where you are coming from, but I guess I got my hopes up for months of looking at fan art (lol) and look up info. N seemed... Not as calm as he was in the game. When they released a photo of him, I figured he would be more of a headstrong, excited challenger. He looked carefree and ready to go. When I played the game I was very unhappy to see him so silent and upset all the time.

I can honestly say, I loved the original Silver. But if he were anything like his manga self, I would have always hated him the worst.

...But yes, when they make Gray, I hope they do what they did in Platinum, when they made a whole new world with Cyrus and you could explore it. It was pretty epic. Maybe they will add more to N's past. That would be so awesome! I want N to have a better ending though... Seriously... He few away with his Pokemon and lived happily ever after. Come now.

Yeah, N seriously seemed much calmer at the end than I figured he'd end up like. 'Happily Ever After' really doesn't fit well in this story, at least not so suddenly.

As for Silver, he seemed like he had gotten a lot nicer than the original. That kind of upset me as well as I liked his original attitude because that was what made him memorable. In HGSS I would say he was less memorable.

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
    Yeah, N seriously seemed much calmer at the end than I figured he'd end up like. 'Happily Ever After' really doesn't fit well in this story, at least not so suddenly.

As for Silver, he seemed like he had gotten a lot nicer than the original. That kind of upset me as well as I liked his original attitude because that was what made him memorable. In HGSS I would say he was less memorable.

I know the same thing happend to blue in firered and leafgreen making him slightly more ''friendly''

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years

Mmhmm. I don't really know why I got this impression, really, but I was kind of under the impression that something really big was going to happen to N. Like, he was going to die, the character was going to go back into his past and see him mistreated, frightened, or depressed, or just... Something. But there really wasn't much of anything, everybody seemed happy in a way. I think N was a great idea, but they definitely didn't reach far enough into the hat to pull out his full potential.

I could rant all day about Silver. He seemed a whole lot tamer in the remakes, but I didn't hate him utterly. As long as he isn't that annoying cold, silent uke that he is in the manga, I can deal with him. But I don't like his redesign as much, he looks softer. He was so epic in the beginning, if they wanted a cold and silent bad guy, then they should have done that with Paul, because doing it to Silver looks unprofessional and almost as though they are bashing a good character that they don't like.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't know, but I might go for Brendan/May, in terms of portrayal. You only battle them up to Lilycove and not go against their fully evolved starter.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    I disliked Bianca since she coudn't really put up a fight lol as gary would say 'my rival should be strong to keep me sharp' or did someone else say that? ...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Barry for sheer annoyance factor. Man, I hate that kid's hyperactive attitude. Dude needs to learn to chill out and not rush things, maybe then he wouldn't be crashing into people and basically sounding like a young kid on a sugar rush.

In terms of least satisfying rival, definitely Brendan/May. It's like they give up after Lilycove and go home, thereby leaving the "tough" rival battle role to Wally (who doesn't play a big role in the early stages of the game).

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Barry and Lucas / Dawn are terrible characters. Lucas is an absolute joke of a character who is completely useless before disappearing halfway through the game, and Barry never gets any development to make him a better character.

Oh, wait, he almost gets some development in Platinum when he finds the Lakes Trio, but then they completely ignore what just happened and he reverts back to how he was at the start of the game.

Wally and Brendan / May are almost as bad, except for the fact that if you combine the two characters together, you just about get a rival who challenges you enough times and puts up a good fight. As two separate characters though, neither of them show up nearly enough times in the game (especially as Brendan gives up way before the Pokémon League) and Wally only battles you once where he could pose a challenge.

It took Game Freak eight years to do it but they made Bianca they finally understood how to write "Not everybody can be a successful trainer". What was more important though, was that they also kept Cheren around to give the player a challenging rival who also develops as a character during the game.

I guess when they made HG/SS, somebody must have said "Why have we never written a character as good as Silver ever since?"

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    For me, it's a tie between Barry and Brendan/May. Barry is just REALLY annoying, and Brendan/May basically say "**** this, I quit." after Lilycove.

My favorite would probably be Blue.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    I for one really like Barry and dont see why you all hate him... He gave me a big challenge in platinum although in Pearl.... yeah his team was lame....
    as for me I never liked May. Never played as her so I cant say for Brendon... I dont like how you dont really battle them to much and how there starter never get to its final stage.
    But it must be agreed upon that Green/Blue and Sliver are the best, *******s are always fun :3

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Worst rival in term of what? in term of their battle them, I could saya its both Cheren and Bianca. Their battle theme are the worst Pokemon soundtrack i've ever heard. Beside that, I don't really think anything particularly bad for rivals.

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
    Years
    Hmm, too bad you guys stopped haiting on Bianca, because now I can't go with: "Shut up, she's hot!", oh well.
    On a serious note though. I think the character I hated most because of personality was Silver. I don't mean I hate Silver, I just hate his personality and the way he is (I mean the whole: "You beat me, but you're weak"-s**t).
    I hate May/Brendan 'cause like other people have mentioned, they just don't care anymore after Lilycove. Plus, they're really forgetful characters to me.

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
    Hmm, too bad you guys stopped haiting on Bianca, because now I can't go with: "Shut up, she's hot!", oh well.
    On a serious note though. I think the character I hated most because of personality was Silver. I don't mean I hate Silver, I just hate his personality and the way he is (I mean the whole: "You beat me, but you're weak"-s**t).
    I hate May/Brendan 'cause like other people have mentioned, they just don't care anymore after Lilycove. Plus, they're really forgetful characters to me.

he had a great attitude in the original then became an emo for shame game freak for shame.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    Brendan and May were the worst, because they liked battling me whenever I wasn't necessarily ready to. Who would want to have a battle on that section of Cycling Road?

Back