• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst team you've ever used?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I've made this topic before, but hey, it's gone now. So, what was the worst team you have ever used? Try to exclude teams you've been assigned via random challenge or other means. I'd like to know what you personally chose that did not make it as a success.

The worst team I ever had was my first Pearl team. I think it was Empoleon, Lopunny, Chatot, Palkia, Roserade, and Mismagius. Either I was just really nubby since generation IV was new or I was just way under level, but this team was a big failure. I lost to Cyrus at least 10 times and Palkia and Empoleon were probably the only Pokemon I used against the Elite Four.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The very first Sapphire team I used: Swampert, Sableye, Castform, Tropius, Camerupt and Crawdaunt. The reason why this team was the worst one I ever used was because not only did I have 2 Water types, the rest of my team was incredibly weak in terms of levels compared to Swampert.

Years
  • Hmm, maybe in leaf green when I near solo'd the game with Venusaur, yet it kept getting raped by Agatha.
    Of course, being the super-fresh swagger machine that I am, grinded a Dragonite, Articuno, and Weezing (yep, a weezing, ol smoggy). We destroyed. Nah jk it was a pretty close fight vs. gary but we won ^_^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • One time I tried playing through my brother's Diamond with a five-Pokemon team of Torterra, Golduck, Vespiquen, Chimecho, and Pachirisu. Those last two really made the team fail.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • My worst team was Platinum

I had my Infernape, he was seriously a HM slave and my pokemon i trained the hardest

And then I had Tropius, which was not good at all!

That's all i can remember

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, when I eventually got past Slateport I had a really good team.....so it's got to be my Diamond team:

Empoleon / Dialga / Staraptor / Medicham / Sneasel (hadn't figured out how to evolve it) / Chimchar (GTS trade)

Dialga solo'd the Elite Four after grinding up to lv.60 on Aaron alone.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • I'd say it was my one of my Bug teams on Silver:
    Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Ledian, Ariados and Heracross.
    They were underleveled and couldn't touch Claire!
    So I grinded them to lvl. 60+ and guess what, Claire was still whooping their a**! After that, I've given up on them... :(

Years
  • Just on the paper, my 6 Unown run would be a contender for this, but actually they were incredibly fun to use and nowhere near as bad as one might think.
    My worst team ever might have been one for a NU challenge, in FR or LG: Raticate, Rapidash, Vileplume, Venomoth, Corphish and Hoothoot. Actually my only way to beat the first Elite 4 round was letting Raticate use Thunderwave and spam revives until I get enough parahax to be able to attack. Vileplume and Venomoth are amazing Pokemon, but more supporters than fighters, and Sleep strategies for some reason kept not working in that one run. Rapidash is a bad glass cannon and the other two were NFE. Did not quite work together. The second round was easier if I remember correctly, as Corphish and Hoothoot could evolve by then.

GOG TOXIC

Competetive n00b
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2010
    Blastoise. First Leaf Green run all I had was a Blastoise. Lance kept raping me

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • All my bad teams were in Sinnoh. I'll just rank them through badness.

Wreckage #1 : Pokemon Pearl 1st playthrough
    Seriously, I can't even call this a team... what I can remember is that I had a Purugly and a seriously slave Infernape to kick ass of everything. Then, I begged my friend to trade me three legendaries, Dialga, Palkia and Darkrai. My final Elite Four was composed of those guys and a Lv. 30 Riolu. And guess what ? It took me three weeks to beat the Elite. -_-'

Platinum Failure #2 : No Lesson Learned ?
    Months later, I got Platinum. Did I learn my lesson ? No.
    A good example from the team would me my Floatzel. He knew Surf, Waterfall, Dig and something else I can't remember. My Infernape had Flamethrower, Flare Blitz, Mach Punch and Rock Climb. -_-' I taught Abomasnow Energy Ball and deleted my Giratina's Shadow Force. My Staraptor knew Aerial Ace, Fly, Defog and... I think Wing Attack.
    Here's the actual team :
    Infernape~Floatzel~Abomasnow~Staraptor~Giratina~and something else I can't even remember.

#3 Nuzlocke Fail Duo
    After the biggest fail Nuzlocke in my entire life, I ended up in Pastoria with a Raich and Crobat. Good ? Nah, they only sustained like... 2 hits ? ANd they were Lv. 45, and I was really confident in them. My Nuzlocke ended with my loss against Wake.

So yeah, I really was a noob back in 2009 with Pearl and Platinum. At least I learned from my mistakes in HeartGold, and the same I will be able to say for Black. n_n

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    It would definitely be my first Platinum team. I'd planned it all out: I was going to use Infernape, Togekiss, Gallade, Scyther, Golduck, and Glaceon. It fell apart pretty quickly. Togekiss wasn't very useful, Infernape was extremely frail, and uh. Glaceon. I should probably say Eevee, since I hadn't really considered how bloody long it'd take me to actually get to Route 216 and evolve the little brat. She spent most of the game unevolved and pretty much unusable. Gallade was my main powerhouse, but I couldn't just plow through the game with him alone. When I got to Snowpoint I had to spend a hell of a long time level-grinding so that I could (barely) manage to beat Candice.

... Eventually I nagged a friend into letting me borrow her level-eighty-something Garchomp, whom I used to beat the E4. I was only really concerned with getting Skymin at that point.

Aside from that uh. My Soul Silver team was sort of pathetic. I used Quilava, Jolteon, Slowbro, Slowking, Scizor, and Muk. The issue was that most of them levelled extremely slowly. By that I mean... my team hadn't made it to Lv50 until I got to Blaine's gym. It wasn't a total fail playthrough or anything, though. The team worked out surprisingly well thanks to its resistances. The latter four of them had good defenses, and they all had a few tricks they could use to stall opponents. So I sorta ended up walling my way through the entire game with an underlevelled team. It was more fun than fail, but I still figured it was worth mentioning.

Years
  • My old Ruby team of Blaziken, Dusclops, Ninjask, Pelipper, Gyarados and Shedinja.

My Blaziken's nature really limited its special attack, so the start of the game was super hard but he was one of the two more useful 'mons. Dusclops' attacks just didnt dish out the damage I needed them to do, Ninjask couldnt survive anything, Pelipper was too ineffective offensively and speed-wise and I'm not used to using defence based 'mons. Gyarados was a pain as a Magikarp and until I got to Team Magma and then he wasn't so good until Mossdeep gym, where his levels started to hit the mid fifties even though my second highest level was 44, which was Blaziken, and Shedinja, got to level 38, and after the third gym (where he was incredibly useful) he is hopeless against the next 4 and then he was too weak to help against Wallace, making his useless for me.

So from Mossdeep and onwards, I used Blaziken and Gyarados and grabbed a Tentacool and a Tropius for HM's and finished the game with a severly over leveled Gyarados (81, WTF!?!?!) and a slightly underleveled Blaziken (57) who grew 4 levels against Steven.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I had a Pearl team with Lumineon, Girafarig, Staraptor, and some other pokemon that I can't remember. All I can remember though is most of them were in the high 30's/low 40's by the time I reached the Elite 4.

Needless to say I didn't get far.

Last edited:

Catman9222

1337 l\/l4573R
    Years
  • My old gold team, Meganium, Dragniar, Nidoking, Growlith, Ampharos and Ho-oh
    I had to spam Ho-oh throughout the E-4, Nidoking suddunlly became phailz, and I didn't know about the elemental stones so I had that Growlith waiting to evolve till lvl 59(and I still couldn't get a fire stone), I ended up grinding a houndoom and tyranitar to replace growlith and Nidoking near the end of the game

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    My worst team was all Dragonite actually.

All with different moves like:
    One with-
    Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Ice Beam
    Surf

Another with-
    Thunder
    Fireblast
    Blizzard
    Surf

and so on :o

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Sadly, my Pearl team was the worst starting off. I really only used Empoleon and then Palkia later on, ignoring my other 4 pokemon. But after beating the E4 I started raising more pokemon I previously caught, and trading more with my other games and friends. Then my Pearl team improved. Today it's like a hybrid. I have a lot of pokemon I could switch out if I ever get tired of the team I currently have.

Now my other worst team would probably have to be my old platinum team. Empoleon, Garchomp, Staraptor, Gengar, and Magmortar. At first glance this doesn't sound like a bad team, but I wasn't playing smart and it didn't feel like a complete team. You know that feeling you get when your team is absolutely perfect.

Then there is my soulsilver team. It's okay, but I definitely need to improve it. I mean I have a good team: Meganium, Snorlax, Frosslass, Umbreon, Swampert, and Charizard, but they're not high enough to take on the elite 4 a 2nd time, and the moveset for 4 of them could definitely be improved. I need to fix them, but just stuck with what I should do.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Tch. My first ever Yellow team. It wasan't so much a team since it was based around my Clefable. High leveled Clefable (like, 78), low leveled everything else. Onix, Pikachu, Pidgeotto, Starmie, and a Machoke.
    It sucked. Hard. My first Pearl team was pretty horrific, too. Empoleon that had higher defenses than attacks, a Lopunny, a Pachirisu, a Roserade, Kricketune, and a Staraptor. It.sucked.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I remember when I was playing Platinum for the first time, and I had an Empoleon that was like 30 Levels above the rest of the team, and we just kept getting knocked out by the Elite Four! </3

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Poison monotype run in Sapphire.

I eventually gave up because there was no way to beat Steven.

I realized months later that a Weezing or Swalot with Flamethrower would have done the trick, but I overlooked both of them because I already decided to use Crobat/Tentacruel/Muk/Seviper/Roselia/Vileplume

Back