• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would Pokemon admire each other for their special abilities?

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Like think about it. Don't we humans admire each other? I admire people who are strong and can do things I can't. So, wouldn't a Vaporeon admire a Venusaur for his nature controlling abilities and vice versa? Or wouldn't a Pokemon admire Clefable for being hardy and surviving under all conditions due to Magic Guard? Or wouldn't an Eevee admire Blissey for her extreme toughness,HP and durability? I mean, they should >:l

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I would assume they would lol If they're smart, and capable of admiration.

Most animals lack the ability to envy other species, or even others in the same species, but Pokémon are generally smart, and self aware.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    If Pokemon do admire other Pokemon, I think they all admire Petilil because they are so flawless and great. Since they're more aware than our normal animals though, I'm sure they do admire. There's probably been instances of admiration in the anime.

Years
    Unless they are being used for breeding, Pokemon would usually, if not always, mate with the same species, and probably the final evolution, seeing as that would be when they're full grown.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    ^ It IS a separate universe with its own (although similar) physical laws and natural morals. So nobody knows?

And since they all have consciences we can all agree that they admire Grovyle they all have their own things that they aspire to be, and admirations, even the humans.

And the human thing is that they probably live in a separate but similar universe where humans have the same role in the universe as we do.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2012
    They have feelings, they have a brain. But they are animal like. Aren't they? If they admire, perhaps it can be their weakness during a fight.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I find this interesting.
    This concept questions the concept of intellect between Humans and Animals practically.
    The idea that a pokemon could admire any other pokemon implies that pokemon have an ego.

Based on what I've seen in the various videogames (I prefer to ignore the anime.), some pokemon contain the capability to think of things outside of themselves such as just about any psychic pokemon or Legendary pokemon, but then there are all those not so intelligent pokemon such as well any pokemon that primarily runs off of the fight or flight response (which is way to many to just simply label; a basic example I can think of is like a Raticate, etc..), pokemon such as that I think are just way to simple to have any understanding for life outside of themselves or their basic needs.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    The thing is, humans admire other humans partly because we're all the same species. We admire other people based on how different they are from the 'norm', or just how different a person if from you. I'd imagine other Pokemon would be conscious in the same way, but not so much towards other species of Pokemon, but toward each other. The scrawny Sentret might be jealous of the plumper Sentret.

But complete admiration for other species? I don't think so. A Vaporeon wouldn't be jealous of a Venusaur because it can shoot leaves; I'm sure Pokemon would understand that species of Pokemon are different and they can accept that. A Vaporeon would probably see a Venusaur as it is, a Venusaur. Of course, this is different for Pokemon that can evolve, because I'm sure they admire their final evolutions. Then again, I could be dead wrong.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    The thing is, humans admire other humans partly because we're all the same species. We admire other people based on how different they are from the 'norm', or just how different a person if from you. I'd imagine other Pokemon would be conscious in the same way, but not so much towards other species of Pokemon, but toward each other. The scrawny Sentret might be jealous of the plumper Sentret.

But complete admiration for other species? I don't think so. A Vaporeon wouldn't be jealous of a Venusaur because it can shoot leaves; I'm sure Pokemon would understand that species of Pokemon are different and they can accept that. A Vaporeon would probably see a Venusaur as it is, a Venusaur. Of course, this is different for Pokemon that can evolve, because I'm sure they admire their final evolutions. Then again, I could be dead wrong.
    Well, if you want to be like that, I can tell you I really do want to be a Jack Russel terrier sometimes, because they're so cute. But obviously I'm not of the same species as him.

And so just as I want to be a puppy, There is probably an Azurill wishing it had been born as an Axew or something. It knows that it couldn't ever learn Dragon Rage but it still wishes it could have a better move to replace Bubble with.

You know, stuff like that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Hahaha Deoomph.This very last one about Azurill and its Bubble. OMG my belly hurts me now and its all your fault! hahaha

Seriously now. At least, even if Pokemon didn't admire other species they would still acknowledge other species' strengths.
    A Blissey would wish she could have Rampardos' attacking force.
    A Rampardos on the other hand would wish he could have all that HP and be tougher.

It's quite logical. I mean even animals acknowledge each other's strengths. Polar bears rarely attack adult male walruses because they know they aren't going to be an easy prey. So in the case of Pokemon,with a bit more intelligence added, you can be quite certain they would feel a bit envy about others.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    And so just as I want to be a puppy, There is probably an Azurill wishing it had been born as an Axew or something. It knows that it couldn't ever learn Dragon Rage but it still wishes it could have a better move to replace Bubble with.
    Yeah, replace Bubble with Water Gun, maybe? Also, do you want to be a puppy because you want an excuse to piss everywhere and lick people's faces? Or is it just the shallow "But it's so cute" excuse?

Of course, Pokemon would be envious of another. Pokemon do have more mental capacity than animals, since they can understand human speech to an extent, and in many forms of media, they have shown unique personalities.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    I am a Stunfisk.
    I envy all of the other pokemon.
    I wish I was born a Magikarp at the very least.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't think they necessarily admire because I think they are content with the way they are, and don't put other Pokémon on a pedestal. Maybe with Pokémon contests, where they see another Pokémon being outstanding and they'll be in awe because of that, but I've never felt admiration from them necessarily.

Back