• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you change anything about Pokemon?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Lets say you're in charge of the industry. Pokemon is already a grand series of games, merchandise, and even has its own running anime, but from all this, would you change anything that, say, annoys you, or maybe something that you'd fix, or add, or even take away from the Pokemon universe? If so, what kinds of things would you change? If not, why not?

Just keep in mind, it's not just the games we're aiming here. It's the entirety. :3

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
    I'd make two anime's; The ongoing one, and another more mature one, like Pokemon Origins

I'd port the games to Playstation. So people like me didn't have to spend $200 to play only Pokemon.

I'd erase Chansey.

I'd delete the water from Hoenn. 7.8 to much water

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I'd add HM items. In Pokemon Red and Blue there was a debug item called ????? that functioned like a surfing Pokemon. I wish there were items like that in the main games so we wouldn't have to pack around an HM slave. I also might change some of the shiny colorations to be more fitting and nice looking, like changing shiny Kyogre from magneta to a ruby color, or changing Moltres and Magmortar to something other than pink. And give the older Pokemon their original cries back.

As for the anime... Eh. Let someone else deal with it. I'm not well versed in it so I wouldn't know what to change.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2014
    In regards to the tv series, I think it went down hill once they got rid of a lot of the original voice actors. I would've kept the originals and maybe linked the movies into the tv series a bit better. It's kind of all over the place. I would also changed some of the recent Pokemon names and looks. Some are great, but they're a lot of Pokemon that seem like they have been rushed when created and overall i think they could've done a better job.

Years
    I'll mainly focus on the anime. I would change it to be far closer to the core games. It wouldn't sugarcoat the darkness in the core games. How did Pokémon Tower go from being a graveyard where Team Rocket killed a Marowak in the games to being play house in the anime? How did Team Rocket turn from ruthless Pokémon abusers and killers to, well, goofy comic relief in the anime? Why avoid referencing Pokémon deaths? In short, the anime would adapt the dark stuff. Another thing is that the anime wouldn't sweep the game storylines under the carpet in favour of Poképroblem-of-the-week one-shots. It would be similar to the Pokémon Adventures manga, which uses but also expands to the stories of the games and puts shocking twists on them (e.g. Pryce is the "masked man," Norman abuses Brendan). I think Pokémon has a lot of potential to make a great anime if remaining true to the problematic and sometimes chaotic world presented in the games instead of trying to make it seem super happy and safe for children to roam around alone.

Both the games and the anime would actually show or tell stories based on some of the bizarre and creepy Pokédex entries. This may have happened once or twice. I'm pretty sure in Black and White 2 you can find a book which tells a story about a Drowzee Hypno making a child disappear, akin to what their Pokédex entries imply. Isn't Darkrai responsible for the death of the little ghost girl in those games, too? Anyway, I'd like most stuff based on the entries.

Years
    I'd add HM items. In Pokemon Red and Blue there was a debug item called ????? that functioned like a surfing Pokemon. I wish there were items like that in the main games so we wouldn't have to pack around an HM slave.

I'd make two anime's; The ongoing one, and another more mature one, like Pokemon Origins

Pretty much sums up what I would change.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    - Make bigger cities
    - Make a game with all of the regions on it.

I think these are the two things I wish to see the most. I do wish they would do a better job of acknowledging the older fan base with other merchandise.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I would probably mix and match the pokemon stat's a bit. Try and make them all 'balanced', but in a way that at least a fully grown pokemon can have a nieche one way or another! Oh and definitely more post game material would be nice. :]

Izarinoi:Akira

Master of Iron
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2015
    • Eliminate the option to "Shift" in battles against computer-controlled opponents. This option is biased toward the player, allowing a free switch when an opponent's Pokémon faints and after the opponent announces the next Pokémon, but the opponent cannot do this after one of the player's Pokémon faints. Without the "Shift" option the player and computer opponents would be more equal, just as in Wifi battles.
    • Add experience points and level gains after battles instead of during battles, because computer opponent's Pokémon never gain levels nor learn moves during battle.
    • Experience points gained based on participation in battle rather than what kind of opponent Pokémon are knocked out and whether the battle involves a trainer or wild Pokémon; this way fainted Pokémon can gain experience points based on their participation in battle, while sending out a Pokémon only to immediately switch to another would result in no gain at all for the first Pokémon because it didn't participate at all. Longer battles can award more experience, so a strong Pokémon against a weak Pokémon gains little experience because the battle would be short, while Pokémon of equal strength can gain more experience from a longer battle.
    • Eliminate the Experience Share, Amulet Coin, Lucky Egg and other items that provide cheap bonuses for almost no effort
    • Limit item storage, as in the Mystery Dungeon games. Infinite storage capacity makes the games far too easy!
    • Item limits on Gym leader and Elite Four battles; this prevents a strong bias toward the player who can store many Hyper Potions and Revives!
    • Change the type matchup chart, eliminate the Normal and Dragon types, and add a Wind type (e.g. Hurricane and Gust would be Wind-type moves, and Tackle and Body Slam would be neutral to all types, and many Normal-type Pokémon could be completely type-neutral so nothing special with Fighting and Ghost attacks)

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I'd love for VGC to get more attention. The events still pale in comparison to TGC ones even though it has gained a lot of popularity. Aside from that, there's nothing I can really think about changing right now. Great games, great series.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    I'd unban the episode the legend of dratini for other countries and cutting out the scenes in which he shows guns

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'd make the following changes:

-No more HM's. Replace HM's like Cut, Rock Smash, and Flash with items like an axe, a pickaxe, and a lighter. Things like Surf and Strength should be done by big, strong Pokemon, and Fly can be done by flying Pokemon that look like they can carry humans.
    -Make all Pokemon available in one game. Replace trade evolutions with different evolution methods. Trading would still be an option if people want certain Pokemon earlier.
    -More postgame. Plenty of sidequests, a Battle Frontier, a PWT, some new areas to explore, etc.
    -Difficulty options. Easy for beginners, Normal for casual gameplay, and Hard for people who want a challenge.
    -Allow the player to deviate from the "get all badges, become the champion" thing, and become a Pokemon Breeder, Coordinator, or evil team member instead.
    -Make it easier to see which EV's your Pokemon have.
    -Make the DexNav show a wild Pokemon's nature beforehand.
    -Balance the type chart. Give the Ice type more resistances, make Dragon type moves hit more types super effectively, make Psychic resist Fairy, make Fairy no longer resist Bug, things like that.
    -Balance all fully evolved Pokemon to make them viable in competitive gameplay. Only big legendaris like Mewtwo, Lugia, Dialga, Kyurem, etc. should be OP compared to everything else, and make up the Uber tier.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I'd made sure a Elder-Scrolls-like Pokemon game came into existance; featuring hundreds of hours of gameplay, a gigantic world, maybe even revolving around multiple regions (all of it Open World, of course), Pokemon in their natural environment, different dfficulty options ranging from Beginner to Pokemon Master, getting rid of HMs and give Pokemon passive abilities that allow them to perform these moves, millions of sidequests, tons of items, so much lore that even all lore from the anime and games combined looked pale in comparism, tons of ruins and other hugh areas to explore including rare Pokemon that can only be found there, guilds (including at least one evil Team) that can be mastered, tons of (unique) items, including stuff the player can use and much more.

It would probably take about ten years to develop, but whatever.

Years
    I would appreciate it if the basic tutorial stuff in the main games (battles, catching, ect.) became optional. Basically, it would be triggered by a question such as, "Do you know the basics of being a Pokémon trainer?" Answering "No" triggers the tutorial while answering "Yes" lets you start your journey almost instantly. I'm replaying Black and Professor Juniper is forcing me to use a Pokémon Centre in front of her instead of just asking if I know how it all works. It's annoying. I'm surprised there are never tutorials for the more complex stuff. Until recently I didn't even understand the whole Sp. Attack and Sp. Defence stuff, not Natures. It was always a background thing for me that I eventually decided to look up on Bulbapedia.

The phone call system should be in every game! Something I really loved in Generation 2 was when Trainers asked for your number and would call, informing you that they want to battle again. Being called because they wanted to give you something (e.g. evolution stones) was nice.

There should be triple typing such as Charizard being Fire, Flying AND Dragon. There should be some contrasting type duos as well: Fire and Water, Ghost and Dairy, Rock and Lightning...

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    For the games, I don't really want anything to change, but for the anime, I'd love to see a reboot of it that takes itself far more seriously and isn't constantly boring and repetitive.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    I would end the ongoing Anime with ash, and start a new one with a plot and characters similar to that of Origins or the Adventures manga.

According to Nintendo, the average buyer of the 6th gen games were age 20. There's not much hope for having a show marketed only with young children in mind anymore, when most of them are occupied with smartphone games and minecraft. They should make an Anime with both kids and teens/adults in mind, like the route shows like Adventure Time and Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra took.

In the anime, they should use the same protagonists from the ongoing games and switch them in each region, each with their own unique personalities and battling styles. They need to get rid of the predictability of the same three team rocket members attempting to steal and get blasted off over and over again, and add a criminal organization that can actually be taken seriously. Keep a good balance between humor, emotional, cute moments, and darkness. Then wrap it all as a PG rated anime suitable for preteens all the way to young adults in their 20s. I swear, the current anime is written for 4-8 year olds. It's mind boggling how TPC is wasting money on a show that almost nobody watches anymore.

Also, I would return trainer customization after ORAS and postpone EXP share to a much later period in the game like GF used to do. I understand EXP share can be turned off, but it just isn't right to let people breeze through the game with little effort by default.

One last thing, I would add a filter to the GTS so that it would block people asking for legendaries in exchange useless, low level pokemon. That would make the GTS wayyy less annoying.

Years
    I posted answers to a similar question in another thread:

Things I wouldn't mind seeing implemented in the main games or side games:

• Un-winnable, scripted battles
    • A battle reputation attribute of some sort that fluctuates in reference to, say, your win-loss ratio
    • Special events to be triggered or said by NPC's, depending upon your battle reputation
    • Skill-based gestures performed to help influence critical hit chances or to better your accuracy, lessening randomness (the touch pad comes to mind here)
    • Events with multiple outcomes, depending upon whether you win or lose
    • A tournament-based league challenge, with an Elite Four opportunity for the winner
    • Allowing Pokemon to retain more than four moves
    • A level cap of 200+

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yep, definitely; although Pokémon is doing great at the moment, there are still some things that I believe need some changing.

In terms of anime, one thing I would do is perhaps keep a relative art-style. If we compare episodes from each season one-by-one, we would notice that they all seem different in terms of art, one way or another, which causes things to become rather unbalanced (at least in my eyes). Had they been more similar, I believe things would be… straighter, so to speak, which is good!

As for games, I feel it'd be great if we could cut down on how many new Pokémon are introduced each generation. There are plenty of Pokémon out there for us to capture, and with more being continuously added, it's becoming even more difficult; if this is kept under-control, I believe it'd be better for us in the long run.

Back