• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you count THEM as legendary? / What makes a Pokemon Legendary?

Legendary or not? Select the Pokemon you consider Legendary

• Phione

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Unown

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Rotom

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Arcanine

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Spiritomb

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
    Seriously, what makes people think of Rotom and Lucario as legendaries? Phione is the only legendary from that list. As for Spiritomb, I'm honestly surprised to even see it on that list, I didn't think that people would ever think of it as legendary. Unown could in some way be classified as a minor legendary, I guess, but still..

Weavile1110101

Casual Battler
    Years
    The only surefire way of telling if something is legendary is if Nintendo actually say it is. Otherwise, it's a pretty good bet that a pokemon is legendary if:

It is near the end of the pokedex (national of regional)
    It doesn't breed or evolve
    It has better-than-average stats
    There is only one in the whole game

Note that there are some exceptions (such as manaphy + phione), but most can be identified this way.

Also, just because a pokemon is in a movie doesn't make it legendary. Pikachu has been in all of them so far, and it isn't legendary.

Years
    I used to think Lucario was a legendary because I played Blue Rescue Team before I played any G4 game (and the Lucario rank was the highest rank in that game), and I don't watch the anime anymore. I did, however, see the Lucario movie, which reinforced my idea that it was a legendary. I know now that that was incorrect, but I can certainly see why others considered it a legendary.

HeartGoldnSoulSilver

is ready for the remakes.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    "Phione is confirmed by Nintendo to be a legendary Pokémon. None of the others are legendary, sorry to say."

I used to think Lucario was a Legendary because of his appearances, in a Pokemon movie and in SSBB. He looks cool enough to be one.

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
    Phione isn't exactly that LEGEND because there were MULTIPLE phione in an episode.

Dude you can breed Manaphy and Phione, so you're just going against what you're saying

Despite that it is still a legend.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    OK, how can you not consider LUCARIO legendary? :cer_disbelief: I mean, it's the only Pokemon that can explicitly control Aura/Ki/Chi/Chakra! Here are my other reasons:

• Lucario is frequently seen with other Legendary Pokemon:

• Mew in the Pokemon: Advanced Battles opening and in the Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
    • Dialga and Palkia in the Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl opening.
    • Rayquaza in the opening scenes of the Pokemon movie The Rise of Darkrai.
    • Heatran, Cresselia, and Darkrai on the box cover of Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia/Vatonnage.
    • Lucario is the only Pokemon that is exceptional enough to garner its own rank in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team.

• Lucario is thought to be a spiritual successor to Mewtwo in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and it wouldn't be quite right to have a non-Legendary Pokemon do the job of a Legendary Pokemon. I know SSB isn't necessarily canon with Pokemon and Mewtwo was lower-tiered in SSB Melee, but still!)

• Lucario is associated with the Aura Guardians, a legendary group of Trainers.

• "Lucario" reversed is revealed to be "OIRACUL", which could be said to be a corruption of the word oracle. While nothing of the sort is evident in Lucario's Japanese name Rukario, it is still an occurrence worth noting.

• Lucario's name is similar to the word orichalcum, a metal that is considered to be valuable in reality and fantasy.
    • Lucario is the bearer of the titular role in the Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Such a prominent role in a Pokemon movie is usually reserved for Legendary Pokemon only. Furthermore, its view of humans was similar to that of Mewtwo in the Pokemon movie Mewtwo Strikes Back.

• Lucario's title of 'Wave Guiding Hero' also suggests that it may be viewed as a type of savior to some people.
    • Lucario has notably been shown under the ownership of skilled or exceptional Trainers (Veilstone Gym Leader Maylene, Sinnoh League Champion Cynthia, Aura-user Riley, and Aura Guardian Aaron, for example).

• Lucario is said to be based off of Anubis, a figure prominent in Egyptian mythology.

• Lucario is one of few Pokemon that can communicate in human language, a trait that is usually often observed in Legendary Pokemon.

• Dragon Pulse, a move relating to the legendary-like Dragon-type, can be learned by the non-draconic Lucario.

• Lucario is the only non-Legendary Pokemon to be a Gem Guardian in Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia/Vatonnage.

• Lucario's signature moves, Aura Sphere (Pokemon move) and Aura Storm (Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. series) are said to resemble the Hadouken of the Street Fighter series and the Kamehameha of the Dragon Ball series, respectively. Such attacks not only use a great deal of aura/ki/chi/chakra, they are also said to require exceptional skill to perform, and very few have perfected them or their variants.

• IMO, Riolu seems like an afterthought, simply added to the Pokedex in order to make a baby/cute form of the "Legendary" Lucario. It looks way too similar to Lucario with barely any effort used for differentiation, as opposed to the stark contrast between Mew and Mewtwo, whom are related.

• You have to admit, Aura-using dark wolves/jackals look awesome!

UNOWN :t201-a: - I'd term them as Legendary Pokemon because:

• They're one of the few Pokemon almost completely shrouded in mystery. As a result, much research is done to study them. Unown also appear frequently in strange tablets and writings.

• Also, Unown's relation to hieroglyphics marks them as supposedly ancient beings.

• Unown is currently the only Pokemon species that received its own Pokedex for classification. This was the Unown Dex in the Johto region.

• In Pokemon The Movie: 3, Unown are shown to have the ability to create illusory worlds, Pokemon, and alter the landscape considerably. In other scenes, they can warp reality greatly as well, similar to the effects of the Legendary Pokemon Dialga and Palkia.

• Unown also make cameos whenever Legendary Pokemon arise. Examples include when Dialga and Palkia emerged in the real world, or when other Legendary Pokemon like Giratina employ certain abilties.

• Unown are shown to exist in their own dimension/world/plane/universe, a habitat that is unheard of with "common/non-Legendary" Pokemon. However, such a habitat can be attributed to the Legendary Dimensional/Dragon Trio members, whom are frequently depicted to reside in alternate dimensions.

• In the Pokemon world, Unown are usually shown living in different ruins, such as the Ruins of Alph and the Tanoby Ruins.
    • Unown co-starred with an illusory, legendary Entei in Pokemon The Movie 3: Spell of the Unown. Again, starring movie roles usually surround Legendary Pokemon.

• Molly Hayes saw entries of Unown while browsing through a book of Legendary Pokemon in the same movie.
    • They have 26 28 unique designs based off of the Latin alphabet and punctuation! :t201-f:

---------

ROTOM doesn't seem that legendary; it seems too mischieviousand out-of-place to be legendary, and doesn't really look like a "Sinnoh "Mew"-like Pokemon. Plus, it can breed...

SPIRITOMB doesn't seem like a Legendary Pokemon either; its own 'frightful story' can be likened to those of Gengar or Ninetales.

PHIONE, IMO, is as legendary as a piece of poop. Its only purpose is to show that its far-superior, Manaphy, can breed a pseudo pre-evolution. Take Phione out of the Pokedex, and nothing would freaking happen. Manaphy, however, has a much more notable presence in the Pokemon world. Lucario and Unown both serve as much better Legendary Pokemon than Phione ever has, and they're also much more cooler and mysterious than Phione. Don't know why a Legendary Pokemon had to be w asted on Phione when 2 perfectly good candidates are available.

I also think ABSOL :t359: and ARCANINE :t059: should be full-fledged Legendary Pokemon as well. Absol'sability to foretell ominous disasters should count for something, along with its head design that looks zen-like. Arcanine is designated as the Legendary Pokemon (sheesh!), and is pretty powerful in some regards as well. Furthermore, it has been depicted with the Legendary Birds of Kanto as well, which may bear some indication as to its potent power.
    Spoiler:

My qualifications for a Pokemon to be Legendary are that it has to have either:

• played a large role in shaping the Pokemon world (pretty much all existing Legendaries save for a few),

• appear alongside other Legendary Pokemon or by their effects (Arcanine, Unown, Lucario),

• have power that approaches that of a Legendary Pokemon (Arcanine, Lucario, pseudo-Legendaries don't count),

• bear a very powerful or unique ability which is or is similar to the Psychic-type in origin (Mew, Mewtwo, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin, Lucario, Absol), or

• have 'Legendary Pokemon' status delegated to it by Game Freak. 'Phione' is the only exception to this; the only thing Legendary about it is that it was able to convince some people that even though it's a blatant Manaphy ripoff, it should become a Legendary. :cer_cry:
    Those are pretty much my views on the matter. Too bad Absol, Arcanine, Lucario, and Unown won't become official Legendary Pokemon until Game Freak says so! :cer_no: Here's hoping for future announcements of their updated status as Legendary Pokemon! :cer_nod: :cer_wink: :rambo:

Darn stupid Phione... :cer_pissed:

Last edited:

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
    To tell you the truth, the only one who I myself think is a legendary, is Rotom.

OK, how can you not consider Lucario legendary? I mean, it's the only Pokemon that can explicitly control Aura/Ki/Chi/Chakra! Here are my other reasons:

• Mew in the Pokemon: Advanced Battles opening and in the Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
    • Lucario is the only Pokemon that is exceptional enough to garner its own rank in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team.

• Lucario is thought to be a spiritual successor to Mewtwo in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and it wouldn't be quite right to have a non-Legendary Pokemon do the job of a Legendary Pokemon. I know SSB isn't necessarily canon with Pokemon and Mewtwo was lower-tiered in SSB Melee, but still!)

• "Lucario" reversed is revealed to be "OIRACUL", which could be said to be a corruption of the word oracle. While nothing of the sort is evident in Lucario's Japanese name Rukario, it is still an occurrence worth noting.

• Lucario's name is similar to the word orichalcum, a metal that is considered to be valuable in reality and fantasy.
    • Lucario is the bearer of the titular role in the Pokemon movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Such a prominent role in a Pokemon movie is usually reserved for Legendary Pokemon only. Furthermore, its view of humans was similar to that of Mewtwo in the Pokemon movie Mewtwo Strikes Back.

• Lucario's title of 'Wave Guiding Hero' also suggests that it may be viewed as a type of savior to some people.
    • Lucario has notably been shown under the ownership of skilled or exceptional Trainers (Veilstone Gym Leader Maylene, Sinnoh League Champion Cynthia, Aura-user Riley, and Aura Guardian Aaron, for example).

• Lucario is said to be based off of Anubis, a figure prominent in Egyptian mythology.

• Lucario is one of few Pokemon that can communicate in human language, a trait that is usually often observed in Legendary Pokemon.

• Dragon Pulse, a move relating to the legendary-like Dragon-type, can be learned by the non-draconic Lucario.

It's alright...calm down...

Last edited:

Rabid Ditto3 8

Migrating Coconut
    Years
    Unknown, Spiritomb, and Lucario i definitely don't consider legends. I'd say Phione is and Rotom is kinda in between...

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    OK, how can you not consider LUCARIO legendary? :cer_disbelief: I mean, it's the only Pokemon that can explicitly control Aura/Ki/Chi/Chakra! Here are my other reasons:

• Heatran, Cresselia, and Darkrai on the box cover of Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia/Vatonnage.

• Lucario is the only non-Legendary Pokemon to be a Gem Guardian in Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia/Vatonnage.
    • Lucario's signature moves, Aura Sphere (Pokemon move) and Aura Storm (Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. series) are said to resemble the Hadouken of the Street Fighter series and the Kamehameha of the Dragon Ball series, respectively. Such attacks not only use a great deal of aura/ki/chi/chakra, they are also said to require exceptional skill to perform, and very few have perfected them or their variants.
    • IMO, Riolu seems like an afterthought, simply added to the Pokedex in order to make a baby/cute form of the "Legendary" Lucario. It looks way too similar to Lucario with barely any effort used for differentiation, as opposed to the stark contrast between Mew and Mewtwo, whom are related.
    • You have to admit, Aura-using dark wolves/jackals look awesome!
    Its good that you consider lucario a legend and have gathered some proofs but I really don't think that any of those points make him a legend, but only qualify him as one off pokemon. It can also be called an exceptional pokemon but is certainly not a legend.(Please don't get angry at me just for this post!). At the end I think that its okay if you consider it a legend and mention it here(with some proofs) as this thread is about which pokemon YOU consider a legendary and not what if nintendo has classified him as one or not.Its your own point of view and thats all. (I am not being rude or something but just giving my point of view about lucario just like you gave yours! :D)

Kdarcher238

I'm a Random couple of words
    Years
    I think Phione is the only Legendary out of them.
    Also how can Lucario be a Legendary if it's an Evolution of another Pokemon, no legendaries Evolve/Have a Pre-evo.

derozio

Years
    Also how can Lucario be a Legendary if it's an Evolution of another Pokemon, no legendaries Evolve/Have a Pre-evo.
    I agree that lucario is no legend but you can't say that it cannot be a legend as it has pre evo. Nintendo has never said that if a pokemon has an evo/pre evo then its not a legendary. Everyone also used to say that legendaries don't breed. Manaphy was an exception to this after it was introduced as it breeds with ditto to give phione. Nintendo and Gamefreak can do any thing. Maybe they will introduce a legend in the 5th gen which has a pre evo and maybe an evolution. (I am not being rude just giving my opinion! :))

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years

ROTOM doesn't seem that legendary; it seems too mischievious and out-of-place to be legendary, and doesn't really look like a "Sinnoh "Mew"-like Pokemon. Plus, it can breed...

I don't agree to that. Manaphy can breed too, so...

Rotom and...Phione...clearly have the advantage. Unown...Lucario...clearly losing? Same goes for Spiritomb.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Rotom and...Phione...clearly have the advantage. Unown...Lucario...clearly losing? Same goes for Spiritomb.

I think the idea is that Manaphy doesn't breed to Manaphy but Rotom makes more Rotom ;)

Shaymin Boss

Team Shaymin Boss
    Years
    Lucario Is owned by 3 traners if you dont evolve your Riolu
    Cynthia has a Spirtomb
    Arcanine evolves from Growlithe and you can catch many Growlithe and is so not legenary and legenaries cant breed [ exept Manaphy Phonie Rotom ]
    Absol can be caught many times and is so not legenary
    and you can catch many Unown
    THESE ARE NOT LEGENDARY

Rotom is a legendary
    Phonie is what Manphy [ legendary ] Breeds into in Sinnoh and Johto [probly]
    THESE ARE LEGENDANY

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    I don't count any of them as legendaries.

Rotom-You can breed it

Phione-You get it from an egg

Unown- no comment

Spiritomb- Male and Female

Lucario- Just because it aired in its own movie doesn't make it a legendary.

derozio

Years
    Phione is a legend as it is officially confirmed by nintendo.

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years

Oh and...Lucario can breed too. Fenyx, you just got pwnned by your own comment. So much for "Rotom can breed!"

Oh and, not to mention, Togekiss can learn Aura Sphere too. So it can control Aura too?

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Phione is a legendary because the nintendo said it was

I thought Lucario was legendary at first, because of his huge role in the movie,
    unown is another story, its not a legendary, but its very much associated with legends, and its like, just strange

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back