• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you date [fill in the blank]?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.) Yes, but just as long as they don't preach their beliefs into my face.

Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.) For me, age is just a number to me, so yes. Chances are, I'm going to be the older one in comparison.

Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.) I'm apathetic in regards to politics, but again, as long as they don't push their beliefs to my face, I'm more than okay with it.

Someone with HIV? On one condition: That we both sleep in a separate bed.

Someone who is bipolar? Absolutely not. I cannot stand anyone with any mental problems.

& I will also add on to this thread.

• Would you date someone who has never dated anyone in his/her entire life?

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    • Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.)
    I rather & prefer dating someone who are into the Christian or Catholic beliefs. I'm not huge with the extremists. Turns me off as I find them annoying(No offense to those that are, just my opinion).

• Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.)
    I prefer my age group (3-4 years younger to 1-2 years older) I would say it depends on who they are & how success they are if they're that much older. Jennifer Aniston? I will never say no to her, she's a beauty queen!
    Spoiler:

• Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.)
    I could care less about politics. I don't pay attention to it, but if the significant other is into it, I wouldn't argue with it. I talk to my mom about it when she brings up the topic of what Obama is doing to our country or what stupid law is going in effect, so I have a history of discussing politics with someone lol

• Someone with HIV?
    Absolutely not.

• Someone who is bipolar?
    Not really into it.

• Would you date someone who has never dated anyone in his/her entire life?
    I like a more experienced girl than a non-experienced. It just depends on the girl.

Last edited:

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    Hope no one minds if I continue on this trend of threads. How about a bunch of different options?

So then, would you date...

• Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.)

It depends... I could date someone of any religion so long as they didn't let their religion dominate their life.

Yes. 28 doesn't feel too much older to me.

• Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.)

No. I'm not that into politics, but I doubt I would ever fall for a conservative person to begin with.

• Someone with HIV?

I actually thought about making a thread about this before! My answer is honestly no. If the person was sleeping around and caught it, i wouldn't judge or refuse to be their friend, BUT no romance would ever come into play. If someone got it by something that was completely not their fault, then... BIG maybe.

Another hard one. Dating anyone with mental issues would be tough for me, because I'm not very good with handling other people's emotions. So probably no.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    •Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.)
    Sure, why not.

No, too much sagging.

Yes, I can deal with that.

• Someone with HIV?
    As long as they stay in their plastic bubble.

Yes, I wouldn't see the relationship lasting long though.

Years
    I have very flexible beliefs religiously anyway (I believe in a higher power and an afterlife, I just don't subscribe to organised religion), and I respect other peoples beliefs, so yes. However this is null-and-void if
    a) They don't respect my own beliefs
    b) They are preachy/overzealous/extremists

If, on the off chance, I developed feelings for them - yes. But I don't see that happening, certainly not at my current stage in life. My views are more flexible for younger.

My answer here is fairly similar to the religious question. My views are quite scrambled right now, although I have liberal leanings, and I quite frankly hate our major parties with a passion. So as long as they don't mind well-spirited debate and aren't ridiculously in-my-face or overzealous I'm fine with it.

• Someone with HIV?
    In theory yes, so long as sex wasn't part of the picture. I fear though that I'd be too fearful of contracting the virus to actually go through with this claim in real-life though regardless of how much I'd like to think I would.

Definitely. I have autism, I'm not going to vito someone because of a mental disorder when I have my own (admittedly less-severe) one.

Last edited:
    Years
    I just want to say I'm pleased with people's openness and honesty in their responses and a little surprised by way some of the answers are going.

My turn now.

• Someone with different religious beliefs?
    I probably wouldn't. The more different their beliefs are from me the less willing I'd be. I'm not religious, and I would probably be okay with someone who just believed in something in general, but I don't think I'd mix with someone who, say, always went to church each Sunday regardless of whether they were a fundamentalist or just a regular person.

• Someone who is significantly older than you?
    I think I could make something like this work if we had similar goals and ideas about how the relationship would go.

• Someone with different political beliefs from you
    Big no. I find that political beliefs influence / are influenced by a lot of other beliefs and that'd be just too much of a clash to work.

• Someone with HIV?
    I think I would. Never been faced with the prospect so I don't know how I'd actually respond, but I have nothing against the idea since it's not a death sentence or difficult to keep from transmitting if you're careful and just adjust how you go about things

I don't think I could handle that on top of handling my own issues.

Years
    Someone with different religious beliefs?
    A: Why not? :D

Someone who is significantly older than you?
    A: Only if i had feelings... Really strong ones...

Someone with different political beliefs from you?
    A: Meh, i really don't like politics so... yes!

Someone with HIV?
    A: No! I really couldn't, even with strong feelings.

Someone who is bipolar?
    A: Nope... I tried once... Didn't work out... At all.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.)
    Probably as long as they don't force their belief on me or be overzealous. As a Catholic , dating an Atheist would make me uncomfortable if all they do is try to convince me to believe God isn't real. If we're dating or if we're even just friends I don't you saying why you think my beliefs are wrong. Just let me believe in what I want. I don't really see a relationship with a person of another religion lasting long, especially a religion that doesn't believe in "God" (as in "the God" not a god as in deity so most non-Christian religions) , but that's how things go I guess.

10 years older is a bit too old for me at the moment. Someone 10 years older than me would be 31 and that would feel too much of a gap to be comfortable with that person. 15-20 years older than me and they could practically be my mother and that could be even more awkward. The oldest person I'd date is someone 5 years older than me.

Pretty much the same answer as the different religious beliefs one. As long as they aren't extreme conservative or extreme liberal, I'd be fine with it. I really don't think a relationship should involve politics though honestly.

• Someone with HIV?
    As long as sexual contact wasn't involve then maybe, but most likely no. I just want to avoid contracting the disease myself though from them.

No cause I think it would be too much emotions to handle for me.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
    • Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.) Yes. If she's the type that crams her religion down people's throats, I probably wouldn't like her much anyway.

• Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.) Hell no. I thought dating a 16-year-old when I was 14 was creepy enough.

• Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.) Similar to the religious one, if she's very political, I probably wouldn't have liked her.

• Someone with HIV? No.

• Someone who is bipolar? Probably not. I'm friends with a bipolar person and even he's a test of patience for me.

Hm. More no answers than yes. And I wonder why I don't have a girlfriend.

RegretZM

Master of the Occult
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2014

Depending on the circumstances, yes. Only if they have an open mind, and would be ok with letting our kids (if we were to ever have any) grow up without religious influence, left open to decide what they want to believe.

Yeah, no problem.

I suppose, as long as they aren't too far-gone or crazy.

• Someone with HIV?

This I'm a bit torn on. I really would say yes in the end, but sex, if any, would have to be really planned and prepared, because of all the safety issues. I'd feel uncomfortable at first, but if it was a person I truly cared about I'm sure I'd still date them.

Why not?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.)

It depends on the religious beliefs. I could date somebody who is religious in the sense that they believe in God and follow that line of thought, but I couldn't date somebody who is heavily into any religion. Religious gay men tend to be messed up anyway, but I couldn't in good conscience date somebody who is part of the problem of the world.

Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.)

No. I've actually been put in this situation many times where older men have tried to hit on me. It kind of comes off as desperate to me and it's a real turn-off. Also I feel like with a gap that big we'd be in such different places in our lives that it would just be destined to fail. I would never date somebody significantly younger than me for the same reason (in that scenario I'm older... 10 years younger than me is 12 and I would never date a 12 year old for other obvious reasons :P)

Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.)

I'm not very political in the sense that I don't pay attention to politics, but when it comes to social issues I'm so far left that I'm waiting for the rubber band to snap and bring me back to the center. So if it's the difference between political and non-political, then yes I could date somebody opposite to me in that way. But I could never date a conservative. Ever. For the same reason I couldn't date somebody who is heavily religious - I can't in good conscience date somebody who is part of the problem, when I try to be part of the solution.

Someone with HIV?

I'm actually quite ashamed to admit that no, I couldn't. I've always been scared of disease in general, I just couldn't consciously invite the possibility of it into my life.

Someone who is bipolar?

If I wanted mood swings I'd date a woman *ba dum tish*

No seriously though, I'm not sure on this one. It depends how bad it is, because I'm not cut out to be a caretaker.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I prefer dating someone who is Christian as I am a Christian myself. Catholics are okay too.

I'm female, so older guys are perfectly alright. 10 years older? Maybe not.

Doesn't matter to me. I don't care for politics.

• Someone with HIV?
    Preferably not. Too risky - you know why.

Preferably not either. I want a mentally stable man for my life partner.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I draw the line at gender. And not biological gender/whatever the term is, I took a stance on that in the trans dating thread.

But yeah typically my sexuality is the only thing that would make me uncomfortable dating someone. The listed options are all dependent upon degree, but for the most part, I'd have no problem with it.

Religion is not an issue, unless I'm forced to change my ways of thinking, age is not an issue within reason, I don't exactly see a 40-year difference being plausible. Politics don't mean much to me, and pretty much follows the same line as religion, and any illness we could work around if we cared for each other.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I'm saying no. Obviously there might be exceptions but in general no. I'm pretty flexible and open-minded, but there are some things that I just don't believe in and we would butt-heads constantly. Religion dictates (wrong word maybe) a lot in someone's life and if you're in a relationship with someone you're gonna have to be able to share the same kind of lifestyle, generally. More power to people who are able to work around it, but I don't think I'd be able to that well.

Yes I would, but not at this age. Been there, done that, and at a younger age it's just not worth all the trouble.

I suppose yes, it's not really something you find out about someone right away, and I don't think it plays as big a role as religion does. It's probably something you'd only find out about later (unless you're really interested) anyway.

• Someone with HIV?
    No.

I would not count someone out just because they're bipolar, but I do think we would clash a lot and it would just be complicated. But if you want to make it work you can.

Years
    I would like to mention that this a great thread. More complex and difficult questions!

YES. Though, I need to qualify my response. I am believe in a power, not quite as literally as the Bible describes. And generally, most stories in the bible are nice stories with underlying meaning and lessons. But these are written by ordinary men and the stories they tell should provoke thoughts of what morality is, as it does. Two people can read a passage and have completely diametrically opposed conclusions. So, it's a matter of how much critical thinking and openness to other perspectives. And, to atheists, I would have the same message. Atheism is a faith that there is no God. It requires just as much faith as stating there is a God. The problem is that I think many people are making a category error when they refer to divine beings. We are so caught up in assigning a gender, and picturing a white man with a long white beard glowing in the clouds. It's extremely romanticized and simplified in a way that is ethnocentric. My spiritual beliefs are always evolving. I am open to other perspectives and striving toward a deeper understanding of why humans, the Earth, the universe, and the laws of physics are actually derived. It's called faith since there are no anwsers that can be logically deduced, for both atheists and spiritual/religious individuals. I am slightly off-put by the gay men that are so vehemently opposed to other religions and spiritual practices, stating boldly that there is no God. It's an arrogant assumption and leaves no room to really explore what divinity is, and the origin, and purpose, if there exists one, that humans, including ourselves exist. I understand that many religious institutions have used dogma to demonize and oppress others, especially homosexuals, but beyond that, we shouldn't assume all spiritual or religious people are the same, and we shouldn't allow ourselves to develop such a shallow perspective on divinity, 'God does not exist', because of the poor decisions and shallow beliefs of others. I would identify as a somewhat optimistic agnostic Unitarian universalist. I don't know if a God or divine intervention by some unfathomable 'being' has place me on this Earth in some form or fashion. However, logic fails to explain the origin of life, and I am always seeking morality and understanding/appreciation for my existence, and actively seek out not only human nature, but the nature of God, this inconceivable being or idea.

Wow, I am talking in circles! Getting to the point, I will date just about anyone that follows a religion so long as they don't follow some religious dogmas prescribed by someone that acts as if they know what is right and wrong from a biblical passage. Someone willing to think critically.

YYYYESSSS! I prefer someone around 6-12 years older than myself.

YES!
    I will only date an intelligent person interested in what is happening around the world. Someone who lacks interest and doesn't care about elections, foreign affairs, national/international economies, among a slew of other important events and phenomena in the world. It doesn't necessarily mean someone must have a wide range of knowledge in all sorts of policy areas, rather, if they are interested in things happening around the world and they might possess some knowledge is particular issues the world faces. With that said, people of all political affiliations could potentially be thoughtful and interested in global and regional issues. I would date people who diametrically oppose my own political thought and would love to discuss, or even argue about some of these things. It's about being flexible with my own political thought and open to enhancing the way I perceive some of these issues.

• Someone with HIV?

No. This one is much easier.
    1) I am not sure if i would be able to handle the premature death or illness of a partner.
    2) I would be deathly afraid of contracting HIV.

If I choose to have a family, which I would like to do, I am not sure that investing in someone with a shorter life span and years of good health would best benefit myself and children.

No. Been there done that. No one should put themselves through this. No matter what your illogical romantic urges are telling you. Love should be engender happiness, dating someone with severe psychological/behavior disorders would cause me a great deal of stress and would not be conducive with having a family!

Last edited:

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
    • Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.) Of course! I'm Muslim and I'm dating a Christian girl.

• Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.) No. Neither would I date someone significantly younger.

• Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.) Maybe.

• Someone with HIV? No.

• Someone who is bipolar? Absolutely not.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    • Someone with HIV?

... Can I just simply say I wouldn't date anyone? Not cause of the reasons above or anything, but because no like dating.
    But I will say that if it ever came down to me being in love with a person, I would take them fully and as they are.
    I wouldn't give a flying woohoo if any of the facts above were involved or weren't.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2015

No, different denomination of Christianity would be okay, but not a different system of belief. I am a pretty devote Christian and understand the teachings of the Bible, which is against dating a non believer.

Not right now in my life... A possibility when I get to be a bit older... Right now it just too weird of such a relationship to work.

Probably, politics isn't too big of thing for me right now, though I really don't like it when people vote the just along party lines... Sometimes people of the other party do know what they're doing.

• Someone with HIV?

... Hard one to answer, to be honest. But... Most likely no...

Yes.

Years
    • Someone with different religious beliefs? (Christian and Muslim, Atheist and Christian, Catholic and Mormon, etc.): As a Catholic, I can only marry someone who has been baptized if it is to be considered a sacramental marriage. They don't necessarily have to be baptized in the Catholic Church but definitely a baptized Christian. But if I wanted to marry someone who isn't baptized, a dispensation from my bishop would be needed. Yeah, complicated stuff. Personally I don't like it but I'll still follow it. And if someone outside my faith wanted to learn more about it, I wouldn't see the harm.

Someone outside of my faith once commended me for having such passion in my faith when we were dating, so that just strengthens my position even more.

• Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.): Yes. I once was in a relationship with someone nine years older than me. It went smoothly at first since we were both perverts o_o (I've changed over the years, however). But since it was online and there was a point in time when we couldn't communicate it didn't last.

But it was thanks to that experience that I am now open to dating older people. Besides , they know more things than I do ^_^

• Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.): I'd hate it but if she was tolerable I don't see why not. I'm not uber Liberal but I'm against a lot of things conservatives tend to like. And personally I wouldn't want a debate to turn into a bloody fight so I got mixed feelings for that one. It would depend on the person.

• Someone with HIV?: Sex would be a part of our lives once we marry and HIV would complicate matters. Still, I've known for the longest time that sex isn't everything so I'll live if she does have HIV. Death could occur, yes. But if I've already fallen in love with her then I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a break up. We'd just have to exercise caution whenever we got in the mood. In the event that she's unable to bear children then we'll just adopt a kid. There's a solution to everything.

• Someone who is bipolar?: Depends on how stable they are in the end. Love is stronger than any emotion but it would depend on how she handles each situation. I wouldn't want her to accuse me of cheating when I'm just catching up with an old friend. But I'd be willing to make it work. It's a two-way street, though so part of the effort will have to come from her as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    It depends on them. I enjoy being around different cultures. If they're okay with it, I'm okay with it.

Someone who is significantly older than you? (Maybe 10 years older.)
    It don't think I could. I would be paranoid that they were manipulating me in some way that I couldn't quite understand because I'm not knowledgeable enough about others yet. I would also wonder why they wanted to be with someone outside of their age bracket. I would also wonder if they were immature or otherwise "off" for their age bracket.

Someone with different political beliefs from you (Liberal and conservative, non-political and very political, etc.)
    I can't do this one.

Someone with HIV?
    Yes.

Someone who is bipolar?
    Absolutely. I have bipolar type I myself. However, I would not date someone who is bipolar who wasn't being treated.

To those who said no to this one, I ask that you reconsider based on the grounds that medication is a huge gamechanger for bipolar symptoms. It is possible to be symptom free in the long term with a combination of effective medication and therapy. It's possible to have only mild symptoms if full resolution cannot be achieved. Essentially, the bipolar would not impact your relationship in any way. Think about that if you find yourself getting close to someone who suffers from bipolar. It's a chronic illness, yes, but entirely treatable.

Back