• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you like that Misty returns to main cast?

Would you like that Misty returns to main cast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    After rewatching AG series and Hoenn and seeing some of Misty cameos i remembered how great her character was imo enjoying in chemistry she had with original trio liking how she developed in more mature girl while still being hotheaded being nice blend of new and old Misty in specials.

So i would like to find out do you want to have her back as main again?

Personally im fine with new girls being added,but if Misty cameback i wouldn't mind.I liked her character and pokemon(like Psyduck or Staryu)and she brought charm to this show.Her battles were also quite entertaining to watch.One of most memorable ones for me were in Whirl Cup.

Also i feel she wasn't developed as much as she could have been having unanswered things in story which never got chance to be developed or closed.One of things i remember which were never much exploited was her goal of becoming water master which went nowhere.
    I suppose reason was because writers werent experienced much not knowing how to handle some things right back than,but since writing has improved i think things would went better this time around.

So in short i say yes,i would like to see Misty grow more,catch new water types and develop as trainer.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As much as I'd like to have Misty back, I'd have to say no to her coming back because she has gym leader duties to fulfill. But I do wonder at times what would happen if she met Iris or Dawn.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • I can't really say Misty was one of my favorite Characters. I would very much rather have May and Max return, I love re-watching the advanced generation series.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
  • I must say, I wouldn't mind her coming back. But like somebody mentioned before, she has Gym leader duties to fulfill. But a little cameo here and there won't hurt, or her joining the gang for a filler season. :P

If not her, I'd like to see Dawn come back.

Years
  • Absolutely not. I would love to see here make some me appearances, but she has no place in the main cast anymore. The cast is pretty much based around advertising. The reason Brock managed to stick around for so long was because he advertised RBY, GSC, then their remakes. I would rather see new characters appear too.

Still, I hope that we'll get another chronicles!

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • Despite not being a huge fan of Misty I wouldn't really want her back as a Main cast. She has a gym that she needs to take over and she has appeared in a few episodes in the past. It's nice to have new characters in the group. I want to know more about the new characters instead of having the old characters come back.

JB2448

A Giant Slice of Pecan Pie
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2016
    I would at least like to see her have a greater cameo than her lure every saga.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I do really love Misty, and if there was a slight chance - they yeah, blummin' put her back in the main cast. But then again there is a big chance it's never going to happen. If so, then I would hope for her to at least get a cameo, or a special like Dawn and Brock. (that is if they keep these side stories comin')
    >I would be pretty funny to see how she and Iris mess around with Ash, I would feel so sorry for him. xD

Then again, theres always May - I really loved May, she had a great design, personality, Pokémon. I would much rather she get another cameo or a side story (special).

The reason Brock managed to stick around for so long was because he advertised RBY, GSC, then their remakes. I would rather see new characters appear too.

If anything, that theory makes some sence - but I if it was true I just don't know why they didn't keep Misty for those reason. Plus, I don't see how they could have kept Brock in Hoenn because of FR/LG, the first air date for the Advanced Generation was November 21, 2002, and FR/LG released January 29, 2004 - I don't see how the anime would have even know of FL/LG or game freak even starting production...

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Speaking of gym if im not wrong some gym leaders leave their gyms like Fantina,Jasmine or Wallace do to do contests or improve their skills as trainers.Than again some leave to follow their own dreams like Cilan did.
    So Misty leaving gym with substitute being provided to improve as trainer and learn new things would make sense.

I remember she admired Lorelai and her skills as ice and water trainer being her idol so setting out on a journey to become Lorelais apprentice training to become E4 and fulfilling tasks which may exist to achieve such thing would pretty much make her one of strongest water trainers out there achieving her dream.

The cast is pretty much based around advertising. The reason Brock managed to stick around for so long was because he advertised RBY, GSC, then their remakes. I would rather see new characters appear too.

Im not sure if thats the reason why Brock stayed.Misty also appeared in those games but wasn't kept.

I think reason why they kept Brock was because of his mentor and caretaker of group role with writers viewing him as suitable for this not seeing any need for a change.Reason why he was replaced at end of DP was probably because anime wanted to mirror BW games and their "semi-reboot" vibe doing drastic changes in cast.

Personally i don't see any problem in older characters promoting games through new pokemon with quests and new characters being advertized through mini-arcs without joining cast like DP did with HGSS remakes or Battle Frontier with FRLG.
    I doubt Nintendo cares who is in main cast as long their products are being properly advertized.

Last edited:

xcellence

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I prefer Dawn tbh. The Diamond and Pearl series was the best one date, Brock and his Croagunk, Dawn and her Piplup and Ash and his Pikachu, was great.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • The reason Brock stayed and not Misty is simple: The addition of new fanservice. You have to remember how busty May was when she showed up, not to mention Dawn's little skirt thing.
    And they were afraid of a reaction to Brock's replacement being like the reaction to Tracey.

Anyway, to answer the topic: No, I don't want Misty back. Cameo? Sure. But her time as part of the main cast has long since ended. She had what, 5 seasons? Plenty of time. And she has stuff to do. Perhaps she's actually getting somewhere with that goal of hers, now that she's not just following a stupid 10-year-old around.

Years

• If anything, that theory makes some sence - but I if it was true I just don't know why they didn't keep Misty for those reason. Plus, I don't see how they could have kept Brock in Hoenn because of FR/LG, the first air date for the Advanced Generation was November 21, 2002, and FR/LG released January 29, 2004 - I don't see how the anime would have even know of FL/LG or game freak even starting production...
    It's more than like that Game Freak was planning on remaking FRLG was RSE was in production. Come on, they wouldn't just remove the majority of the Kanto and Johto Pokemon from the game with no intent on bringing them back. Their data was even programmed into the game. They definitely had some sort of plan at the time. Also, Brock was most likely kept in AG so old fans wouldn't be so shocked. This might also be why Ash didn't just still Brendan's wardrobe. Then again, Brendin's wardrobe was terrible. You probably already know this, but Misty left just because the series needed new "eye candy". By no means do I think that Brock stuck around solely to advertise games, but I definitely think it was a contributing factor. Another reason was probably to prevent old fans from feeling like outcasts.

Im not sure if thats the reason why Brock stayed.Misty also appeared in those games but wasn't kept.
    That's because the crew in charge of the anime thought that the series needed to new "eye candy". Considering the fact that Pokemon's fanbase is mostly male (If only by a smidge) and that the anime's crew is also mostly male you can't be so surprised that the girl left.

Source

The reason Brock stayed and not Misty is simple: The addition of new fanservice. You have to remember how busty May was when she showed up, not to mention Dawn's little skirt thing.
    And they were afraid of a reaction to Brock's replacement being like the reaction to Tracey.
    Exactly.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    To TheSmartOne:TRue she was in anime longer than any other female though she was developed much less than other girls were.Even though i understand your point in my opinion it would stil be nice to have Misty developed more and learn new things about her and pokemon.I don't know i feel it would be interesting to see her dreams being expanded more and interacting within group having her back for awhile but thats just me.

About goal if your reffering to "water pokemon master"thing i don't think gym has much to do with it.From what i remember Misty wanted to become best water trainer or something and last time i checked you can't become that strong at gym.Strongest water trainers are probably E4 like Lorelai or Wallace who left gym long ago before he became champion and one of best trainers out there.
    I also remember,correct me if im wrong whole water master thing being mentioned in Whirl cup showing how there exist tasks someone has to achieve to become this.
    Thats another reason why i don't believe she can achieve that by staying at gym.

That's because the crew in charge of the anime thought that the series needed to new "eye candy". Considering the fact that Pokemon's fanbase is mostly male (If only by a smidge) and that the anime's crew is also mostly male you can't be so surprised that the girl left.

I see,thanks for explanation.Though after reading that it bothers me abit how girls are being viewed in this show being replaced for rather pathetical reasons to be honest.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I don't think you'll see Misty anytime soon. With gym leader duties and stuff, she's too busy to just make a return debut. Also, TheSmartOne gotz a point right there. It was all depending Pokemon's large fanbase.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • To TheSmartOne:TRue she was in anime longer than any other female though she was developed much less than other girls were.Even though i understand your point in my opinion it would stil be nice to have Misty developed more and learn new things about her and pokemon.I don't know i feel it would be interesting to see her dreams being expanded more and interacting within group having her back for awhile but thats just me.

About goal if your reffering to "water pokemon master"thing i don't think gym has much to do with it.From what i remember Misty wanted to become best water trainer or something and last time i checked you can't become that strong at gym.Strongest water trainers are probably E4 like Lorelai or Wallace who left gym long ago before he became champion and one of best trainers out there.
    I also remember,correct me if im wrong whole water master thing being mentioned in Whirl cup showing how there exist tasks someone has to achieve to become this.
    Thats another reason why i don't believe she can achieve that by staying at gym.[/FONT]

She may not be able to achieve her goals by staying at the gym, but it's a good start. And how much would she achieve by traveling with Ash again, really?

We all know Misty was underdeveloped as a character. That is partially why I would not want to see her back; the prejudices and such that I have against how she was would get in the way of my interpretation of how she would be.

In terms of development, though, not much can be done with that vague goal of "Water Pokemon Master". How would they show her progression? For that matter, how are the world's Water Masters ranked/deemed worthy of that title? I can't think of a way to make her goal into something that is not a clone of Ash's. Frankly, Misty returning would not be interesting.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    She may not be able to achieve her goals by staying at the gym, but it's a good start. And how much would she achieve by traveling with Ash again, really?

We all know Misty was underdeveloped as a character. That is partially why I would not want to see her back; the prejudices and such that I have against how she was would get in the way of my interpretation of how she would be.

In terms of development, though, not much can be done with that vague goal of "Water Pokemon Master". How would they show her progression? For that matter, how are the world's Water Masters ranked/deemed worthy of that title? I can't think of a way to make her goal into something that is not a clone of Ash's. Frankly, Misty returning would not be interesting.

True she was underdeveloped though she got some great development but to be fair quality of writing wasn't on same level like its nowdays.Writing got better with writers learning on past mistakes getting better with continuity and character development.Im pretty sure that if wanted writers could develop Misty better if she was in show now.

About her goal well thats a tricky question but few things come to my mind:Perhaps it could be advanced by having her compete in chain of tasks(like Whirl Cup was)which would expand more on water master thing along with new water types being catched and some rivals being introduced.Some episodes focusing on training(like teaching Psyduck to be competent maybe)would be welcomed too.
    Having several tournies would probably be redundant but if competitions she enters are distinct enough from one to another i think that could work.
    It would be vastly different from Ashs goal since it wouldn't require entering gyms or leagues while giving something different than only gyms through mini-arcs.

Another posibillity could be:
    -to part on a journey to try becoming E4 with tasks and battles she would have to take being explained making for interesting mini arc to develop her story.

As you said we don't know much about her goal of becoming water pokemon master so posibillity of this dream having some connection with E4 members shouldn't be excluded.

Especially when we take in account how some E4 members who specialize in one types are being labelled as one type masters like Lorelai being ice master or Lance who is being called dragon master.

Just my two cents on what could work in my opinion.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Just thought I should drop this in, not every reason for the changes were "Eye Candy" not all the japanese are perverts. xD The anime is mainly aimed at children, so thats just really, really sick...

Misty may have been undeveloped, then that would probably be why they gave her a design change in Hoenn. I don't see why they couldn't have kept her for those reasons if they gave her a design change. This is all just a matter of opinion...

Ash has been tossed around with many personalities too, so I don't think thats a possibilty either, they could have easily changed her around a bit. :P

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I don't really like Misty anymore. I enjoyed seeing her when I was 10, but now she just annoys me.

Back