• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you like to see more than one save file?

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
Years
  • I'd love that. :) It's just a matter of whether or not it's possible, but I'm sure it is. :)
    I'd use the first for actual playing, and the second for cheating. If there's a third, I'd use that one for the actual story as well. :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, I would quite like a second file in the same cartridge. I don't see it happening anytime soon though sadly. Why?
    Is it a space issue or just a way to get people to buy the other versions?
    The latter, I think. And besides, the save file themselves don't take a huge amount of data I imagine (going off rom files anyways), it's all the Pokemon and the map and so forth that takes up the bulk. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Given the nature of computer data, Pokémon save files are not very big at all. I don't know where this misconception comes from, because this isn't an impossible technical hurdle.

Lots of DS games exist with enough memory in the cartridge to hold the equivalent of two separate Pokémon saves including the backup save file that's used in case of accidental data corruption.

As for why they don't do it, I'd wager it's partly because they've never wanted to implement it, and that they don't want to bother spending the time necessary to full program, debug and design multiple save files so that players can't cheat with them, however that would be possible.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    I would love to get another save file option but I'm pretty sure they don't do it so people buy the other version as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ^ I suppose, but most Zelda games are console games (I assume you're talking about console Zelda games) while as handhelds are usually personal and not really shared between people, as with their games. Though I do understand there is usually that terrible sibling that erases a save file that had a lot of work put into it, so...

It's such a big staple in the series to only have one save file though so idk if I'd be open to the change of having two. But it wouldn't do any harm. I'd just have to get used to it, lol.

Ocarina of Time - OOT

The Hero of Time, and more...
    Years
  • Well, there are some handheld games with multiple saves. I would like to see this feature. I mean, what if you complete a National Pokedex, and then want to experience a new game?

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
    Years
  • I backed up my own copies of every Pokemon game I own (all the titles in the main series) because I don't hold with downloading the roms off the internet & it's legal to back up carts you own yourself, for your own usage. On my Supercard I have multi save files for them all (this includes GBA games). I name the save files as well, so I can remember what's on there. For instance my LG one has the complete Pokedex on there, without hacking. =]

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    Yes. It's really annoying when you have to choose between starting a new game and not losing all your carefully trained Pokémon!

Back