• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you like to see R/B/Y & G/S/C in the eShop?

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    Of course I'd like to see older Pokémon games on eShop! Why not?

@emberjed: HG/SS included Kanto too, so the region isn't forgotten. And I'm pretty sure that they know the older Pokémon games still sell enough. My cousin who haven't ever played Pokémon (as he only watched anime and got bored) would like to try Pokémon games because many of people like them but he doesn't want to start with newer games as they have too many Pokémon, he only remembers half(?) of the original, so he's now waiting for R/B/Y to be released in eShop.
    And then, the Stadium games. I think they aren't in VC because you can't connect GB/C games to them to have your own team, you would have to use rented Pokémon. When the older Pokémon games come, I hope that they'll release Stadiums on VC and make a way to trade between them but that is the thing that will never come true.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I'm sorry, but a release on the eShop will never happen. eShop games can't communicate with one-another, and the pinnacle of the main series of Pokemon games is the connectivity features. Pokemon simply wouldn't be Satoshi Tariji's vision of they were to nix Pokemon trading. Also, introducing the old games in their old format again would financially hurt Gamefreak. Strategically, having poor technology during the time of manufacturing Generation I, II, and to a lesser extent, III games, is really working out in Gamefreak's favor. Not only are those games likely to break (or the systems they play on- who wasn't bummed when the Nintendo DS was no longer backwards compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Color Games, and infuriated that the Nintendo DSi didn't even have a Game Boy Advanced slot?), but the few games that still do work (and the rare few that are still in mint condition) will exponentially raise in value. Sure, Pokemon trainers from the 90's will miss the 16-bit graphics, crudely-designed Pokemon sprites, and eerie Lavender Town 16-bit music, but newer usually means better.

And I have to say, Gamefreak is getting a lot better at revamping remakes. Compare FireRed and LeafGreen to HeartGold and SoulSilver. When I was younger, I had no reason to buy FireRed. But, upon the release of HeartGold, it was a must-have now that they included new Pokemon, new areas, and especially the long sought-after feature of having your Pokemon follow you around in the overworld.

They can communicate with each other. Tested it out with a friend. We bought one of the Multiplayer DSI ware games and were able to play together. Those were of course wireless connection features. There are a few games that can communicate through Wifi if you read their descriptions in the store.

The main issue would be can the Pokemon Games communicate? It most likely won't be too hard to add a wifi code to the old ones similar to Fire Red/Leaf Green's wireless code so that you can still trade.

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    They can communicate with each other. Tested it out with a friend. We bought one of the Multiplayer DSI ware games and were able to play together. Those were of course wireless connection features. There are a few games that can communicate through Wifi if you read their descriptions in the store.

The main issue would be can the Pokemon Games communicate? It most likely won't be too hard to add a wifi code to the old ones similar to Fire Red/Leaf Green's wireless code so that you can still trade.

Of course the DSiWare games can communicate as they're the same games as for DSi but I think Marilynasol was talking about VC games.

I'm sorry, but a release on the eShop will never happen. eShop games can't communicate with one-another, and the pinnacle of the main series of Pokemon games is the connectivity features. Pokemon simply wouldn't be Satoshi Tariji's vision of they were to nix Pokemon trading. Also, introducing the old games in their old format again would financially hurt Gamefreak. Strategically, having poor technology during the time of manufacturing Generation I, II, and to a lesser extent, III games, is really working out in Gamefreak's favor. Not only are those games likely to break (or the systems they play on- who wasn't bummed when the Nintendo DS was no longer backwards compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Color Games, and infuriated that the Nintendo DSi didn't even have a Game Boy Advanced slot?), but the few games that still do work (and the rare few that are still in mint condition) will exponentially raise in value. Sure, Pokemon trainers from the 90's will miss the 16-bit graphics, crudely-designed Pokemon sprites, and eerie Lavender Town 16-bit music, but newer usually means better.

And I have to say, Gamefreak is getting a lot better at revamping remakes. Compare FireRed and LeafGreen to HeartGold and SoulSilver. When I was younger, I had no reason to buy FireRed. But, upon the release of HeartGold, it was a must-have now that they included new Pokemon, new areas, and especially the long sought-after feature of having your Pokemon follow you around in the overworld.

They can't communicate, yet. Nintendo is going to add NES games to 3DS Virtual Console and those games will include multiplayer mode through wireless when they are available to everyone. Those who get them free can update their versions to multiplayer versions for free. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to do the same to GB/C games. For now there isn't much of a reason to have multiplayer GB/C games as there's only Tennis and Double Dragon with two-player mode so I'm pretty sure they'll add multiplayer when they are about to release games that really need that.
    And GB and GBC were 8-bit handhelds, SNES is 16-bit console.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    They can't communicate, yet. Nintendo is going to add NES games to 3DS Virtual Console and those games will include multiplayer mode through wireless when they are available to everyone. Those who get them free can update their versions to multiplayer versions for free. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to do the same to GB/C games. For now there isn't much of a reason to have multiplayer GB/C games as there's only Tennis and Double Dragon with two-player mode so I'm pretty sure they'll add multiplayer when they are about to release games that really need that.
    And GB and GBC were 8-bit handhelds, SNES is 16-bit console.

I agree, so much.

I can't believe there are people around saying that it absolutely won't happen because eShop games can not have multiplayer. I honestly don't think any of us would have expected those NES games to be able to link with each other. The same people would have said "That will never happen".

If they can do it with those NES games, and that Zelda Four Swords game they can definitely do it with Pokemon games. Knowing how popular they are, there's no saying they wouldn't think about going through that kind of effort to get them released.

To me, the eShop will be very incomplete if it doesn't have the Pokemon main games on them. As I said above, handheld gaming would have never been taken seriously by me if I hadn't got Pokemon Red.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2015
    F*CK YES! They should indeed do this. They would be fools if they didn't, and would be missing out on absolutely TONS of cash. Do it nintendo, do it!

Back