• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you like to see the protagonist talk?

Would you like to see the protagonist talk?

• Yes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Personally, I wouldn't mind so much! It'd be interesting to see what the protagonist would have to say. If it were to ever happen, though, I think it would be better to make it a spin-off game, since I don't think people would like the protagonist talking in the main series games. Either way, it wouldn't bother me!

Years
  • Nah, I just think after the games being the way they have been for 10+ years, it would be weird. I mean, I guess I would get used to it eventually, but I kinda like how the characters dont talk. I'd rather that than them have a voice I can't stand. It would ruin the character for me.

Years
  • I would not like this, cos it could hurt sales bad and Game Freak want the player to imagine themselves a lot like they are a real Trainer.

The Pokestar Studios films is an exception though, since they are movies.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I find the silence to be more engaging tbh. I can more easily put myself in the protagonist's shoes, but that might just be me.

Technically, the protagonist talks quite a lot if you do the Pokewood and shoot some films.

mishyoona

Supermanda
    Years
  • Absolutely not. I've always loved that your character isn't a character - it's you. Something that a lot of RPGs threw out the window, so it's becoming a lost art.

I hope Pokemon never changes it. Not for the portable games, at least.

Trainer Matt

PokéFriend!
    Years
  • The character not having a voice allows you to project yourself onto him/her in the game. For that reason, I've voted no. That said, I'd definitely encourage the ability to make more decisions that have an affect on the world of Pokémon. I think that it'd be neat to own the same game as someone else, but my choices resulted in a completely different result and experience. The stories of the Pokémon games are always very linear. I enjoy them, I really do! But I'd like to see a bit more variation.

Snork

My cabbages!
    Years
  • I would lie to see the protagonist have multiple text options on what to say in certain situations
    But that's just me :)

Years
  • Like others have said before me I think not having the protagonist talk gives the player a deeper sense of being engaged in the story, making them believe that they are the protagonist themselves. It allows someone to be able to put their thoughts, actions, and responses in place of the protagonists and I believe that is what makes Pokemon so engaging.

Back