• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you trade your PokéCommunity experience?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Imagine you had a chance to trade everything you've experienced here (so effectively you'd be trading all your memories and all traces of your existence here), friends (the people still exist, but you won't know them), posts, everything for a billion dollars. Would you?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Yes absolutely. Offline life is more important than online life, and a billion dollars would have you sorted for your whole offline life. Sure it'd be a shame, but my life here doesn't come close to my offline life. It'd be completely worth it for me.

Besides, if you'd forget everyone, then it wouldn't matter. I was fine before I came here so I'll be fine without here and a billion dollars better off!! I sound so hard right now and feel pretty bad but it's all true lol. And hey, there's no reason why I can't come back and start again!

edit: basically what nick says in a couple of posts.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I .. don't think I would. I would have a billion dollars, well, yeah. And then I'd be clueless and alone, nty. I value friends more than money. Also, I don't even know what I want to do with a billion dollars.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Ohh, this is hard. People who say money doesn't buy happiness clearly haven't been in the position where they had so little, they were struggling every single day. To me, having that ease of mind would be happy in it's own regard given my past. To live life without those struggles, at the expense of losing the memories and the experienced I've had on a Pokémon forum? I feel so terrible to say that I would. I care about everyone I know from here, and cherish their friendship, but one of my fears growing up and living on my own is the instability that I've experienced growing up financially, which affects my day-to-day life and my relationship with other family members. For those reasons alone, I'm afraid I would trade that experience in for a billion dollars.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    Nope. Nope nope nope. I can be just as happy with all of you guys as I can be with a billion dollars. Sure, a billion dollars could solve a lot of problems, but I feel having this site and all my friends and acquaintances on here is more important to me than the money.

And before anyone says that I am lying or anything, trust me, I am not. My family has had more than our own share of financial troubles. But I also know that I was raised to believe that it is the people and friends we love and adore that are more important than anything. So yeah, that is how I would react to this situation.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Ohh, this is hard. People who say money doesn't buy happiness clearly haven't been in the position where they had so little, they were struggling every single day. To me, having that ease of mind would be happy in it's own regard given my past. To live life without those struggles, at the expense of losing the memories and the experienced I've had on a Pokémon forum? I feel so terrible to say that I would. I care about everyone I know from here, and cherish their friendship, but one of my fears growing up and living on my own is the instability that I've experienced growing up financially, which affects my day-to-day life and my relationship with other family members. For those reasons alone, I'm afraid I would trade that experience in for a billion dollars.

I can't really put it better myself. If this was high school and I didn't really feel like I had a life offline I might consider not taking the money, but I know now that I'd be alright without PC. Sorry friends I love you!

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
    There's a lot I'd trade for a billion dollars. Or rather, there's a lot I'd trade to erase my college fund worries, get help for struggling family members (including my brother, slowly going blind over the years), contribute respectable amounts to charities and organizations working for causes I support, and not have to worry so much about living comfortably for, oh, the rest of my life if I invest it right?

Friends are highly valuable, sure, but there's things out there that are even more so. It's not like I'd be doing them any harm for the money, just forgetting a life in which we had an online friendship.

I haven't been here long, but the same line of thought applies to other forums I've been a member of for years.

Last edited:

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
    I would trade it in a heartbeat. I'd have a billion dollars to set me up for a lifetime of comfort with a nice investment to keep the amount healthy and high, a college fund so I can have the requirements for the job I want, some charitable donations, and I'd still have plenty left over to set up a college fund and general leisure for an entire 4~5-person family should I have one. (Obviously, I wouldn't spoil them; if there's one thing I hate, it's spoiled children.)

Plus, given my enjoyment in playing Pokémon, of course I'll end up back here looking for a Pokémon community. I just won't remember anything, and no one would remember me. It's like a new PC life plus a billion dollars!

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I wouldn't do such a thing, if I had the choice because I value my friends more than money and all of the posts I've currently made would go to waste. :<

Last edited:
    Years
    Take the money and run.

I would do it for half a billion. A million even. No question. Having that kind of financial security would make me not worry so much about my future. I hate worrying.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    US$1 billion? Of course I'd trade in my experiences here for that kind of financial security. Of course, £1 billion would be even better. Hell, I'd be willing to settle for ¥1 billion, which is still a very handsome sum once you convert it to American dollars.

Think about it. Will your friends here be able to provide for you when you need to buy a house or a car? Will your friends here be able to provide for you when you need to pay for your medical bills or your college tuition? Just take the money, enjoy your newfound financial security, and make new friends.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    I'd go so much lower than $1 billion dollars...

Yes money can't buy you happiness, but a billion dollars literally would set you for life to never work again... You'd have heaps of time to do stuff you love and enjoy, and the money to fund anything you couldn't before and spend your life dedicated to your passions or whatever else you wanted.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    For a billion dollars I wouldn't even need a job. Talk about not worrying at all. Yeah, that's a bit shallow but offline is a lot more important than online honestly.

Years
    On one hand, so much of my life has been spent here. When I didn't have much of a social life, I had PC. I've met so many awesome people on here. I'd have a lot to lose.

On the other hand, one billion dollars.

...I'm too greedy not to take the money. 8) As much as I have to lose, I'd rather have money, for pretty much all the already stated reasons here.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I... don't think so. I'd have a billion dollars, yeah. But I also wouldn't be the same person at all. PC and the people here were my introduction to the internet and the world, really, and did change me for the better. If I took the money and my memories of this all were wiped with nothing to replace them, I think I would be a much worse person. Or maybe something else filled in the gaps... how could I trust that I would even be me? I like myself right now, and I think self-worth and my friends are rather more important than financial worth. And would my friends still remember me if my mind was wiped? That would be horrible for them. I may never be rich or anything but I do know how to manage my money and I know I will be just fine. I'm not too concerned with financial stability honestly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Going to answer my own thread for once; I've never really enjoyed spending money (and generally get it from the government :x) so I wouldn't have much use for that. In my mind it's like, I'm secure enough financially where I am, so why lose pretty much most of my closest friends (especially not someone!!) for something I don't necessarily need. While I do understand others' reasons for taking the money, from a person who hasn't had the greatest friend experiences offline, then these friends I really wouldn't want to lose. :( I'd be unhappy, really..

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Being me, if I was in a state were I was content with my financial life, I would say no to this offer. But now I'm saying yes; guess why!

Back