• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Wow Prof. Oak

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    I don't get how a guy who has a friend (Mr. Pokemon) who lives in a totally different region (Jhoto) with totally different Pokemon, and Oak only counted up to 151 Pokemon. He NEVER noticed any Jhoto Pokemon? Wow, just wow.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Pro Oak is old though so you can't blame him :)
    See his white hair? white hair = old (sometimes wise)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    He only had 3 years to figure that out :/

dalaniir

Arcanine Trainer
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    johto takes place after kanto. so r/b/y takes place BEFORE g/s/c so the pokemon werent in r/b/y but in between r/b/y and g/s/c tho johto pokemon were discovered

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Well I found this a bit rediculous too. Anybody ever watch "Pokemon 4ever"?

There is a bit of a Paradox, because in the movie Samuel Oak (Prof.Oak) is in Ilex Forest (or some other Forest.) and gets thrown into the future as a teenager when he is with Celebi. He goes to the present day when Ash and his friends are visiting the same forest. Sam has an adventure with them and draws Pikachu next to a Bellosom. So then he gets thrown back to his own time at the end of the Movie, and later grows up to be Prof.Oak. At the end of the movie you find out it was him because he opens up his drawing book and then sees the picture he drew those 50 some-odd years ago and he says: "Ah, it seems it was only yesterday..."

The reason this doesn't make any sense is because (as previously noted) Prof. Oak says in the first generation that there are 150 Pokemon (Minus Mew of course) so he was lying in some form. He would've had to known about the other 342 Pokemon, or at least 100 of them. It is almost impossible- well hell, it is impossible. But then again Ash never ages, and the Simpsons has more Paradoxes between episodes than there are cows in the American midwest. It would be nice though if it were explained... This is a good point and I'm glad somebody brought this up. I thought the better argument would be "Wait! There's a guy named Mr. Pokemon!?"

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Nah, this is how I see things-

Johto wanted to expand their roads and get to Mt. Silver easily. They stumbled upon Kanto and then they combined their knowledge to make 100 more Pokemon!

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    If I remember correctly, 4Kids had the original animators animate that scene for them. So, that may just be a non-Japanese error only.

But, even without that, he would still be lying when saying there's only 150(1) Pokémon, since he came across them in his past.

Syrp/Pnoob

Buy one, get one free
    Years
    Simple, Prof. Oak just thought Johto was filled with strange Dittos who Transformed into different Pokemon.

-PN

Or maybe Oak just refuses to believe that there is another region besides Kanto and, despite seeing these pokemon, just considers them of the original 151.

Or maybe he's old.

-S

Last edited:
    Years
    Wow what a thought xD

I can imagine that he was keeping a secret from us just so we could get angry at him :3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Aging tends to have a negative effect on the memory. Oak may have had tunnel vision as well - so focused on his own research and luring little kids to his lab that he just ignored Mr. Pokemon's rants abut other Pokemon species.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Oak didn't lie, the franchise simply didn't have 9999999 Pokemon at the time, the real world is... well, real, after all, and they couldn't at the time project indefinitely that the first game would succeed as well as it did for them to make any sequels to it. It's quite possible, however, to justify it by saying he means you'll only be able to get 150 in Kanto alone.

If I remember correctly, 4Kids had the original animators animate that scene for them. So, that may just be a non-Japanese error only.
    Animate? Scene? We are in the games section by the way, not the anime one.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    If there was Jhoto when Pokemon Red/Blue/Green came out, then there wouldn't be any problem. However, there was no 200+ Pokemons back when the first games came out, so there couldn't possibly be a way for Professer Oak to have known.

Sure, the Professor made one, little typo. That doesn't mean that it's going to end the Pokemon franchise or something.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    It's called gameplay and story segregation. It's also the fact that neither Nintendo nor GameFreak expected Pokemon to be as popular as they did, so they had no plans to make sequels. If they had there definitely would have been in-game hints of "more" Pokemon or places, just as each new generations does.

Also, PokeGods.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    A simple explanation.

After the end of R/B/Y, the Kanto Pokemon League Association decided to open up a road to land beyond Mt. Silver. In doing so, they discovered Johto and its inhabitants. After establishing peace, the two regions co-exsisted in peace. Over the next 3 years, Prof. Oak met new Pokemon and made friends with Prof. Elm and Mr. Pokemon.

Can we all be satisfied with that?

Back