• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Wow this game is annoying. Guess I'll have to continue playing!"

pkmin3033

Are there any video games that you find get under your skin very quickly for whatever reason, but that you find yourself repeatedly going back to? When playing video games, how much frustration are you prepared to put up with, and when you find yourself frustrated with video games - and be honest here! - is it because of certain gameplay mechanics, or your own skill (or lack thereof) as a player?

This topic was inspired by my repeated failure to get Perfect scores in Project Diva Megamix, and finally uninstalling Monster Hunter World from my laptop. The former is definitely skill-based, because I can't do most songs on Hard Mode, and Perfects are very hard to get for me even on Normal. The latter is because of RNG and whoever thought it would be funny to have so many RNG achievements should be fired and never allowed to even LOOK at another video game again.

Years
    Definitely puzzle games, I've said it a couple tie before but I really lack skill when it comes to that genre of video games. I can put up with it for so long, but I don't enjoy playing a game where I just Google what to do most levels!

Years
    • Seen today
    Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

So many characters online I can't stand. Snake, Samus, any Link, Duck Hunt. I'm not even an aggressive player myself, but people online take these characters and use them in the most defensive ways possible. Spending 6 minutes running through projectiles in lag makes me slowly lose my sanity.

Then I come back, because sometimes I find someone I really enjoy playing against and it makes it all worth while.

Years
    Fire Emblem Fates is that game for me

The characters (bar like Kaze/Midori/Ophelia for me) are one-note and/or awful, the story and plot is awful, and most of the maps are awful to play since they all have some sort of gimmicky objective. But I still play it because it's enjoyable to run through the game with really meme-y or unorthodox stuff like Berserker Elise or Witch Mozu.

Years
    bravely default for a while, lol :( I am horrible at this game even on easy mode and keep dying, which is of course frustrating, but I really want to be able to beat it. not just for the story at this point, but also to finally say 'wow, I finally got past this frustrating to beat game' haha.

wkduffy

Banned
    Years
    • HE
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    Sonic. I've never been able to get a handle on the acceleration but I've always gone back for more.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I can get this way with certain monsters in Monster Hunter.. *cough*Alatreon*cough* No matter how many times I fight it I don't think I'll ever be able to get a solo sub 10min with the Insect Glaive. But I keep going back cause I know the next one will be it! And then it's not. >:I

I usually just end up grinding it out until I can't anymore or finally master whatever task the game has set forth.

User Anon 1848

Chess. I can only seem to win consistently against novice players or the CPU on lower difficulty settings. I also have a horrible tendency of stalemating my opponent, which to me is worse than a loss due to a lack of closure. I really need to work on my endgame if I continue to play.

Various fighting games have nearly beaten the will to play them out of me. After a few months from their release the playerbase is usually nothing but hardcore people who analyze all the frame data, combos and neutral meta like the back of their hand. I can barely pull off proper combos against the dummy CPU in training let alone under the pressure of a match against a real player.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX is another game I got frustrated with but for the opposite reason, it was too easy. I have nobody to blame but myself though as I played the demo already and was fairly convinced that my issues with it would carry over to the final product. For some reason when I feel a game isn't the worth the money I spent then I become even more determined to clock it so I didn't put the game down until I beat the story, explored every dungeon and recruited all of the Pokemon. The shiny mons were a pain in the ass to get but at least I felt some satisfaction after recruiting them all.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Most puzzle games do, definitely. I get so frustrated when I fail at Pokemon Cafe Mix. But I can't bring myself to just stop because
    damn, I wanna catch up to the last released stage! I also know I won't be stuck forever, so lol.

Back