• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WPA/WEP

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2010
    Recently acquired Pokemon HG but with much googling I found out the DSi does not support WPA encryption. I know how to change my security settings from WPA to WEP... the only thing is if I do this, would I lose connection? And if I do lose connection, how do I change it back?

Years
  • It depends on how you are connected to your router. If you connect via a wireless connection, you need to make sure your computer can accept both WPA and WEP standards. Otherwise you will lose connection. If you can connect via a wired connection, you should have no problems.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I hope you're aware of the fact WEP is worser than WPA when it comes to actual protection, so you should at least enable MAC filtering, if not enabled already.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2010
    @HackMew I know, but the whole point of me buying HG was to do WIFI. The game becomes pointless to me if I can't do that.

@Red1530 How do I have my wireless accept both WEP/WPA?

Years
  • The DSi does in fact support WPA. It's available under advanced settings in the setup menus. The problem is HG/SS doesn't support WPA. They still use WEP only to make a connection to the internet. The only way you'd be able to set it up so you'd have WEP for the DSi and WPA for the rest of the network is by having a decent router which supports virtual access points or if you have a router capable of installing the DD-WRT firmware, which will allow you to set up a virtual access point for the DS using WEP and the main access point for the rest of the network, using WPA/WPA2.

Years
  • You don't need that fancy emulating stuff if you live on a large enough property to the point where they'd have to encroach pretty deeply on your property to access it (1/4th of an acre is plenty large enough), though you should still do MAC Address filtering.. Though, if you don't have the luxury of a large property, you should look into that stuff, though the equipment will be very expensive.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2010
    I found the option by finding my router on the Nintendo Wifi sight to switch from WPA to WEP. I was thinking about changing to WEP only when I wanna trade/battle and then switch back to WPA. Only thing I'm scared of is losing connection when I switch to WEP. Will I lose connection?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I found the option by finding my router on the Nintendo Wifi sight to switch from WPA to WEP. I was thinking about changing to WEP only when I wanna trade/battle and then switch back to WPA. Only thing I'm scared of is losing connection when I switch to WEP. Will I lose connection?
    Probably only for thirty seconds or so.

Back