• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Wrap, The Cheapest Move Ever...

LightSlei

ExtremelyHyperNerdTestGam erGuy
Years
  • Wow...wrap sounds horrid....mebbe a gud job emerald was my 1st game then.hah!!suckers!!

There was a few extremely similar moves already mentioned, wrap, bind, clamp..

I don't see how were suckers if we started earlier and eventually figured out how to defeat that product of the devil, those moves. It was extremely frustrating.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I made a list of the users of these types of moves in RGBY, as alot of you people are mixing up Wrap with the nearly-identical move Bind:

Wrap:
    Ekans
    Arbok
    Bellsprout
    Weepinbell
    Victreebel
    Tentacool
    Tentacruel
    Lickitung
    Dratini
    Dragonair
    Dragonite

Bind:
    Onix
    Tangela
    Pinsir(Yellow only)

Clamp:
    Shellder
    Cloyster

Fire Spin:
    Charmander
    Charmeleon
    Charizard
    Vulpix
    Ninetales
    Growlithe(GSC Egg Move Tradeback)
    Arcanine(GSC Egg Move Tradeback)
    Ponyta
    Rapidash
    Flareon
    Moltres

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2015
    Archon said:
    The battle:

Mewtwo used psychic
    Dragonair used thunderwave
    Mewtwo is paralyzed
    Dragonair used wrap
    Mewto is unable to move
    Dragonair used wrap
    Mewtwo is unable to move
    Dragonair used wrap
    *repeats
    Mewtwo fainted

You're a noob for not using an Ice move or SWITCHING. Why would you let it just sit there and die? That's your own fault. And if this was on Pokemon Stadium, Lance has a Dragonair on ROUND ONE. You're terrible.

RickySlaughter said:
    Can't say I was a big fan of it in R/B and Stadium.

Why? Wrapping moves are nerfed on Stadium. Switching makes them lose a turn, while on RBY or Netbattle, the Pokemon being Wrapped loses a turn.

Jirachification said:
    It should be banned.

It often is.

rikudaman said:
    That's not that bad, Clamp was way worse. Warp had a power of 15 and Clamp had a power 35 plus it was water.

Cloyster used Clamp
    Zapdos is unable to move
    Cloyster used Clamp
    Zapdos is unable to move
    Cloyster used Clamp
    Zapdos fainted

Now this is brilliant. First off, Clamp has an accuracy of 75% while Wrap has an accuracy of 85%. Although that's only a 10% difference, it's huge after using it turn after turn. STAB Clamp isn't that great either since Cloyster's Special was only subpar, but still strong. Also, lol, what kind of noob Zapdos is slower than a Cloyster?

Timbjerr said:
    Tenatacruel and Arbok owned everything with Wrap

In-game doesn't count for much.

Nyjil said:
    I only remember wrap from Onix in...Yellow

Actually Bind, but basically the same thing.

Casey333 said:
    I never had to many problems with Wrap. Except when I was facing Brock in Yellow. Stupid Pikachu. >.>

Again, with Bind. And why are you using Pikachu against Brock. Are you sure Pikachu is stupid. ARE YOU SURE???

mattman324 said:
    Me: Let's switch in Kabutops! Wrap won't do much to him!

Because Pokemon only have one move right? Why would you switch something out against Tangela that has a 6x weakness (counting STAB)? Not to mention, what would Kabutops do back?

Pocchama01 said:
    In red, blue, and yellow, if someone used wrap on you, you couldnt attack until you were freed from wrap. Basicly if the enemy was faster and knew wrap, it could kill you without taking a hit. Same goes for bind and clamp.

^ This. 'Grats on being one of the only bright ones, and ironically, one of the youngest ones.

Dunsparce said:

^ This.

This community makes my eyes bleed and makes my brain shut down.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    I loved using it because it was so cheap, but I hated when an enemy used it against me. I always felt powerless getting wrapped till my pokemon fainted.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Thank you for reminding me of the most traumatising experience in First Gen, having repressed it for 7 years.

*Goes into a corner and cries*

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • I hated Wrap, especially when that kid with the Ekans (Youngster) kept wrapping me over and over (you know, the one after you beat Brock). I died soo many times by that. And Fire Spin too.

Obsession

Narcotic Empress
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    Reminds me of disable when it was overpowered. I used to get a Drowzee just for that and laugh evily as the gym leaders pokemon struggled <3

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I never really disliked wrap... It was just trying to defeat endless rockets with tentacool/ekans using that move practically over and over....

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Reminds me of disable when it was overpowered. I used to get a Drowzee just for that and laugh evily as the gym leaders pokemon struggled <3
    When was Disable ever overpowered? It's behaved in the same way throughout the generations and could only be used once. It's actually become more overpowered, but was much weaker in first gen.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    When was Disable ever overpowered? It's behaved in the same way throughout the generations and could only be used once. It's actually become more overpowered, but was much weaker in first gen.

In 1st Gen Disable and Mimic allowed to to pick any move the opponent had. A window would appear listing all of the opponent's moves, and you choose one.

I had Mimic on my Pikachu in Yellow, and used it to great effect.

I'm not sure if it works that way in Stadium, though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    In 1st Gen Disable and Mimic allowed to to pick any move the opponent had. A window would appear listing all of the opponent's moves, and you choose one.

I had Mimic on my Pikachu in Yellow, and used it to great effect.

I'm not sure if it works that way in Stadium, though.
    I'm playing through Blue right now and Disable is random.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    what about this?
    Clamperl used clamp.
    raichu cannot move
    clamperl used water pulse
    critical hit!
    raichu was freed of clam
    raichu used thunder, but the attack missed
    clamperl used ice beam