• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen WTF moment

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Well, in Ruby I did wonder what kind of disease that green eared Whismur had. Looked a little like this:

WTF moment

I didn't know the gold I had found. I caught him and all, but I thought he was sick. And he twinkled in battle. I didn't think it was too healthy.

You got one too?! ^_^ I found my shiny Whismur while I was hunting for Ditto in Emerald's Desert Underpass. I relished the encounter, and it's currently sitting in a box right now. I plan to import it to Platinum or HeartGold one day, and subsequently transferring it to a Generation 5 game.

My first-ever shiny was Golbat, though, and introduced me to the concept of shiny Pokemon. :D I lost the Sapphire cartridge containing that shiny Golbat, but it will be a cherished memory...

WTF moment

I was definitely surprised in encountering the shiny Espeon in FireRed's Trainer Tower, a shiny Kingdra in Emerald's Battle Tower, and a shiny Charmeleon in a Battle Factory selection pool. I encountered a shiny Fearow in the wild in FireRed, caught it, and traded it to Emerald. Sadly, the Emerald savefile containing it accidentally got corrupted during a saving corruption. Come to think of it, that's a "WTF moment" in itself because Emerald just decided to wipe my savefile completely without evening bothering to reload the previous version of the savefile. That's the only time it has ever failed to load the previous save, in my experience(s). :cer_pissed:

Another "WTF Moment" was when one of my Pokemon used either Thunder or Thunderbolt, and the game just froze. A similar incident occurred later on, when the game went CHSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. IIRC, I've had both types of Thunder(-bolt) glitches occur in Sapphire, FireRed, and Emerald Versions. It was a very scary moment, and it was slightly relieving to know that other people had experienced the glitch as well.

In emerald i once found a shiny zubat, i caught it. Then, the shiny aron appeared... it used roar... Later I evolved my zubat into a crobat and my cousin offered me a zangoose for it
    i had sapphire and emerald but not ruby, so i was really excited(i was little...) and i agreed... the next month my sister got ruby... how foolish i was...(and my cousin still owns that crobat and offered it to my sister!)

Hmm...another annoying example was in Emerald's Battle Tower, where I had entered the Multi Battle Mode. I think the Pokemon I had remaining was Registeel, with the computer having Tyranitar, and the opponents having an assortment of non-Flying/Levitating Pokemon; I don't exactly recall the opponents' Pokemon, only the fact that they weren't affected by Ground-type moves. At some point in the battle, cue the computer's Tyranitar using Earthquake when only my Registeel is affected with the opponents being completely immune to EQ damage. At one point, I retaliated against my computer partner simply out of annoyance. Seriously, computer player, double-yew. Tee. Eff.

The double battle mode is so much better, but I like the concept of Trainer tag teams better. Part of the somewhat enjoyable challenge of the Battle Tower's Multi Battle mode is that you have to be skilled enough to combat with the underhanded tactics of the opponents, as well as bracing yourself for any stupid mistake that the computer partner might make.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The Thunderbolt glitch freaked me out the first time it happened to me.

Then there was the battle with the champion/rival in LG where I managed to win by 2 HP.

And numerous WTF cheap shots in the Emerald Battle Frontier.

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I recently found a shiny shiny Pidgeotto on my way to the Pokemon League in Fire Red.

It used Whirlwind after it escaped from a Great Ball. :'(

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    I went through TWO FireReds that were fake, then my grandma (who was buying them for me as christmas gifts) just got fed up with where she was buying it from and gave me the refund money where I could just buy it myself. Guess how much it was.
    $95!!!!!!!!

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    I was battling raquaza, i had used all of my ultra balls, great balls, and everything else i had except one pokeball. It caught it. Another time, i was training some weak pokemon, and i didn't have anyone goods with me, and latios appeared, first time i had seen him in that save. I just decided to use another regular pokeball, cuz i couldn't do much else. It caught him. It was great.

Years
    Not a wtf moment in the game but when me and my brother were going to get FireRed and LeafGreen. We argued who was going to be stuck with LeafGreen since we both liked the cover on FireRed better. After a while I gave up and took the green version.

After a week or so I got my game.

My brother got a letter saying his game was sold out. Suddenly LeafGreen wasn't so bad to have.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Ludicolo used Ice Beam!
    Kyogre was Frozen!
    Kyogre was defrosted!
    Kyogre has one HP left so you can't use Ice Beam again or you'll kill it!
    Oh well. I still managed to catch it on that same attempt anyway.

ShadowMrk

Intangible
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    I hate the WTF moments when a wild Pidgey uses one Sand-Attack on your Rattata and you keep missing attacks for 10 turns straight. Then when you switch your Rattata for Charmander and use Smokescreen to its max ,but the Pidgey keeps making successful hits. This has happened SO many times and when it does happen I will often scream at my GBA.

Years
    Whenever you get beaten by normal trainers, you start to wonder "How the hell did this happen..."

It happened to me once, when a random trainer with a...Milotic, was it...completely swept my team in Ruby.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Apparently, level 42 is underleveled in Victory Road

That's what I was thinking when I went up to Wally with only a Skarmory with low health

And Vital Throw always Goes last but never misses right? Then how can it possibly go first, which has happened to me before. I suppose I can't complain, since I was the one using it, but still, how!?

Last edited:

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    FireRed, I used the PokeFlute to wake up a Snorlax. I had wasted 3 Ultra Balls on the other one, so I shrugged, and on a whim threw the Master Ball at it. Flash forward a few months. I'm deep in Cerulean Cave, fighting Mewtwo.
    Ultra Ball
    *breaks out*
    Ultra Ball
    *breaks out*
    Thunder Wave
    Ultra Ball
    *breaks out*
    Timer Ball
    *breaks out*
    You get the idea. After a LONG time of that, I remembered there was this ball that was guaranteed to make a catch. Now what ball was that? Oh crap......

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
    I was fighting this random trainer once, and I sent out my lvl 42 Aggron against his lvl 26 Shroomish. Nobody used stat changing moves or anything, but when Aggron used Dragon Claw the Shroomish was still alive. Sort of weird.......

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    OMG RYO. I got swept by that Milotic my first time through Sapphire. I was completely flabbergasted.

Also olih, Aggron has HORRIBLE special attack and in gen III, Dragon moves are special, so yeah. That's why Shroomish lived.

Years
    Im not sure if this is a WTF moment or just luck but when I usually battle Groudon I either KO it or use all my pokeballs. But one day I just decided to lob a regular pokeball.... and I caught it at full hp.... what are the odds? Anyways I think its pretty cool :D

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    Ever wondered if you could steal a shiny? Long ago in Leaf Green, I tried to use a catch trainer's pokemon AR code to catch the shiny Espeon in the Trainer Tower and it mysteriously turned into a bad egg. I think that those pokemon are somehow protected because this was the only time that ever happened when I used that cheat. Speaking of shinies, did you know that they can appear in XD when you are using a battle CD? I was so pissed off when I saw that Green Machamp because that was way back during the day before Pokesav even existed! I also saw a trainer use a shiny Horsea once in the Battle Frontier in Emerald. Yeah, I have really bad luck with shinies.

Theab95

Legend hunter
    Years
    when I found a shiny Corsola in sapphire and I had no Pokeballs....
    but I found once in route 120 also in sapphire a shiny Maril and I caught it
    it was my first shiny.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I am currently looking for a shiny Diglett in Pokemon Leafgreen. I met one on my first file, but I killed it. If memory serves me right it was purple-ish.... I saw that the sprite on other games isn't purple-ish, so I am trying to find it again to see if it's purple or not. After a while, while I was searching and simultaneously hatching Charmander eggs, I ran into...

A shiny Dugtrio. :D

Now she's a permanent part of my team. Still searching for that shiny Diglett, though...

Back