• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X or Y?

Explodinator

Yours truly
    Years
    Hello. Yes, I've been wanting to get a 3DS for a short while now, I noticed that it is getting all of the good games compared to the Wii U, and the older Pokemon games are finally wearing out of charm for me. For years I rode on the misguided, and quite frankly stupid bandwagon of people who think anything past gen 4 is utter crap. I never really even knew why, I just went with what everyone else was saying.

I had a copy of Pokemon White version for years and never played it because of that. Recently I played it, and it was fun! I had a splendid time, and I found myself growing attached to the gen 5 Pokemon. However, after I beat the final gym, it suddenly went from 100 to 0. I got so bored of it that I can't even be bothered to walk down the route that leads to the elite 4. That's when I realized I wanted to play X and Y.

So which one is better? X or Y? I've been slightly leaning towards X, simply because I heard Staryu is an exclusive in it, but with the new online trading that actually functions, if I got Y it may not be so hard to get. I'm torn, I know they're not much different, I just can't decide. I know what you're thinking, "what a pointless thread! I've seen better posts inside of a Swalots stomach!" but just be human about it. We've all had the same thought at some point. Red or Blue, Gold or Silver, and so on.

(Also, as much as the deer legendary on X looks boring, the gross first grade children's clay sculpture wyvern on Y looks stupid.)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Neither one's really better than the other. Like with a lot of the paired versions, the difference between the two is minimal, and basically boils down to which version exclusives you like better, even if you can get them via trades online these days. With those version exclusives being:

Pok?mon X Exclusives:
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?

As well as Tyranitarite, Pinsirite, and Manecite.

Pok?mon Y Exclusives:
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?
    X or Y?

As well as Aggronite, Houndoomite, and Heracronite.

Otherwise the story is pretty much exactly the same.

Last edited:
    Years
    Nah, you forgot Swirlix is an X exclusive...

But yeah, he is right. Version exclusives tend to be the main thing to consider when deciding between one of the paired games, and that incites me which version I play more often.

Anyways, as a concrete answer to your OP question, since you wanted Staryu and due to you also liking Xerneas a bit more than Yveltal, I'd probably suggest you get X for now.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I would get X, the pokemon that are exclusive look better.

and all the back sprites got fixed in X/Y. Gen 5 they were very pixelized.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Aside from version exclusives, I believe X and Y also have different end scenes, if I'm not wrong (I could be; it's been a while since I had played these games). In all other ways, the games are both equally the same.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I can't decide because both of them are the same to me. I'll just go with Pokémon Y since I have it.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    In the beginning I was like, Y! Y! Because of Yveltal then I ended up going for X, because of Mega Charizard X.

Years
    The stories are pretty much the same although Y is probably the slightly darker of the two if that matters to you. If it is just exclusive pokemon then I would go for X.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I got both. Played as Calem in a traditional run in X, and as Serena in a nuzlocke run in Y.

Years
    Aside from version exclusives, I believe X and Y also have different end scenes, if I'm not wrong (I could be; it's been a while since I had played these games). In all other ways, the games are both equally the same.

The only notable difference is the legendary encounter scene, not even the ending scene (aka the moment where you and your rivals are recognized as heroes) changed based on version.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    The story is exactly the same. And it's not like ORAS where your outfit changes each version. Player customization is exactly the same between X and Y. And with Wonder Trade and the GTS, it's really not difficult to get your hands on version exclusive Pokemon.

I personally have both. X for a female player character and Y for a male player character.

Back