• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y character creation: like it or not?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Was clothing really that expensive though in X/Y besides the stuff at the Lumiose City boutique? I don't really remember stuff being that costly in most of the stores

DarkMeow159

Scratch master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Personally, I really enjoyed the player customization. There's definitely room for improvement, though, such as more clothing options, non gender restricted clothing, and definitely more hair style options. Although the customization is something I've been wanting for a long while, I did feel a bit limited with the options they had in the game. Hopefully, in the future, Game Freak will improve on this.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I really liked it, honestly. It was a nice feature and I was a bit sad to see they took it out of ORAS, although I understand why they did with it being a remake. I'm hoping that it's brought back in Z version with even more customization options like more hairstyles/hair colors and clothes.

Simple-Understatement

A Valentino Champ
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I love it tbh. Especially being able to change the skin color of your character, since I'm a bit dark myself, also I kinda just waste my money on buying clothes for my character...I have no self-control when it comes to things like that 😔

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
  • It was nice, but not near as good as the customization Pokemon Battle Revolution offered when it came to different character models, sure it had more clothes, but most of the stuff there was just plain ugly.

Still disappointed this wasn't available on the remakes when playing online mode.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    A good starting point, but sorrowfully lacking.

It's extremely limited and I do wish they would expand on it in the future. The most essential feature: the ability to REMOVE YOUR HAT. @_@ I really don't know why your character has a hat welded onto their skull. I wanted my character to look like me, and I wear glasses. But I couldn't get her to have glasses due to this very annoying hat problem. Still, I appreciate that it finally exists after so many years of waiting.

Also, I hope ORAS is just an anomaly and this becomes a permanent feature of the series from here on in.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I enjoyed Trainer Customization a lot, because I can personalize my character to my liking, and I enjoyed mixing and matching many clothes to suit me. I wish this nifty feature returned in future main games.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Don't get me wrong, the available options in X & Y were extremely limited and restricting, but that doesn't change the fact that character customization as a whole fits right into the Pokémon games. A key element of the games is that the silent protagonist acts as a self-insert--if the player chooses, they can imagine themselves as the protagonist. The ability to chose exactly how the protagonist looks adds to the immersion: you can make yourself look however you like. This is truly your journey, and the protagonist is how you want to present yourself. It was definitely a greatly-missed feature in ORAS, where the option to customize your Trainer would have worked splendidly alongside other features such as the upgraded Super Contests and Super Secret Bases. This is definitely a feature that should return and be expanded upon, giving more clothing, hair, etc. options with each new game.

(As a side note: I replayed X recently and completely surprised myself at just how eager I was to check each and every clothing store and make sure my character looked how I wanted before moving on. It's a really addicting feature as it is, and I can only imagine how much more fun it would get if each new release added on to it and made it more in-depth.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah the problem is that boys don't get much choices but I just wear tuxedos and have sunglasses, I mainly use clothes from Lumoise City but you had to be stylish to get in. When I discovered Hotel Richesseme, it got my style enough to enter the clothing store and boom the clothes I really like to use.

When I played as a girl character one time, I like the customized and it's pretty damn good.

So the only boys clothes I like is the ones at Lumoise City.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    lets face it, unless they make it so you can customize your in-game character on an official website then transfer the look into the game(s) there's just not enough space for it.
    as for it not showing up in ORAS, that makes a bit of sense since its a remake. its one of the things that disappointed people about ORAS, other then the lack of skates & groundon vs kyoger death battle in sootpolis.
    there probably wasn't enough space for character customization left over. i also wouldn't be surprised if the reason there are no skates is because of the sneaking mechanic & acro bike.
    i will agree though, that battle rev had better customization. but it also didn't have all that much in terms of anything other then battling though facilities.

ZoroStar

★ The True Star of Illusion ★
    Years
  • It's a great starting point.
    I personally liked the choices available, albeit is was far more limited that we all initially thought.

But for Arceus' sake man, I'm not of a binary gender.
    Let me try on some of the male clothes at the very least!
    They're probably not going to implement that in the "Z" installment, but I would highly appreciate it if did.
    I would feel a lot less.. Left out.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • The girls very clearly have more choices in clothing than the boys. It's obvious the customization element is tailored toward bringing in the females to the Pokemon games. For starters, boys only have four hairstyles, but girls can unlock six with the added perk of bangs or sideswept fronts. Boys don't even have formal wear in the game like the female counterpart's Shirt and Tie outfit when you meet the requirements to enter Lumiose's boutique. Yes, girls can wear ties but the boys don't even have the option available. What?

It's like they're saying boys aren't interested in customizing their avatar like girls are, like dress up is a "girl" thing. I liked the idea of customizing my character, so I went with being a girl on my second run through Y, because they just had way more options. That was poor of Nintendo to be so unbalanced. Yes, male characters in Pokemon don't wear over-the-knee stockings and skirts, but then give me more options in every other department to match the volume the ladies have, is all I'm asking.

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
    Years
    • Age 29
    • they/them
    • Maine
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    I love the customization, but unlike most others, I hated most of the clothes for girls. I couldn't find anything that I would actually wear, aside from maybe one of the t-shirts and a pair of jeans, and that was super boring. I actually really prefer the male clothing options a lot more.
    I'd really like customization to return, but I'm doubtful it will beyond the third version or whatever we get next (if it is in Kalos).

Back