• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I'd say just go ahead and do all the above. People here have made great suggestions, so roll with those. Jolly is better, yes.

Also, go ahead and run Lucarionite since MegaLucario gets boosted speed with that as well. Focus Sash is not as necessary as long as you hit first with that Adaptability Mega boost.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2014
    Last IV?

So I just bred a 5 IV Gale Wings Fletchling. Here is what he inherited:
    HP, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed from Ditto
    Attack, and Adamant Nature from its Fletchling Parent

So how can I get that last Defense IV? I have a loaded inventory of Fletchlings and Fletchinders with different genders and IVs, same with ditto. I have my Everstone and Destiny Knot ready, so any suggestions on what I should do?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    So I just bred a 5 IV Gale Wings Fletchling. Here is what he inherited:
    HP, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed from Ditto
    Attack, and Adamant Nature from its Fletchling Parent

So how can I get that last Defense IV? I have a loaded inventory of Fletchlings and Fletchinders with different genders and IVs, same with ditto. I have my Everstone and Destiny Knot ready, so any suggestions on what I should do?

You need a lot of luck to get 6 perfect IVs, no matter what method you use. Destiny Knot is a good start, but since it only passes on 5 IVs from the parents, that last one will always be random. So you essentially have a maximum chance of 1/32 that you will hatch a 6IV Pokemon, and that's if the parents both have 6 perfect IVs too, which I'm guessing isn't the case :P

What I would recommend you do is try to hatch a Fletchling with perfect IVs in everything except Special Attack, since it's a physical Pokemon. Since the Ditto has perfect IVs in HP, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed, you'll need the other parent to have perfect IVs in at least Attack and Defense (but preferably HP, Special Defense and Speed too to increase your chances). Obviously this parent should also have an Adamant Nature and Gale Wings and be holding an Everstone, while the Ditto holds the Destiny Knot. Then get breeding and hope for the best! Maybe you'll even manage to get that 6IV Pokemon you want in the process!

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Also don't breed Lucario, Catch them. All the pokemon in Kalos with an unknown egg group (basically baby and legendary pokemon) all come with at least 3 IVs so you are WAY better off catching them than breeding them. Also what I would do is first of all catch a Ralts (not a Ditto) with the nature you want and Sycnhronize. (this raises the chance of encoutnering wild pokemon with that same nature to 50%) then catch the Riolu with teh nature you want until you get the IVs in the stats you want. After this, you COULD catch more Riolus and breed them when they become Lucarios as it will drastically reduce your IV breeding with you start with parents that both have at least 3IVs each. (although at this point you could use a Ditto if you want, as long as it's from Friend Safari as they have at least two IVs) but really, in the case of the wild baby pokemon (Riolu, Budew, Azurill, etc) you're much better off catching wild ones and breeding those than breeding from scratch.

Remember he already has a 4IV Lucario, so catching a 3IV Riolu isn't going to help at all (it's probably easier to just get a 2IV Ditto rather than having to catch a Riolu of the right gender AND evolve it, and it can be used for future breeding too). Plus if he doesn't have a Synchronize Ralts with the right Nature already, finding one is going to require just as much effort as finding a Ditto with the right Nature. So this is pointless lol. The only reason for doing that would be if you're a hardcore competitive breeder, in which case it's probably worth it in the long term.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    Breeding question

So I have this Larvitar with Dragon Dance, and I was wondering if I used the daycare Lumiose City method if I went back to the move relearner if he could relearn dragon dance. Thanks.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
    Years
    I have started breeding for IVs a while ago, and I usually just go for 5 perfect ones. I mean, it's rare when you have a physical AND special Pokemon. I used a Talonflame in my main party during my playthrough, and I am pretty sure that it has a better Attack then Special Attack. So, honestly, if you DID go for a physical Talonflame, just replace the perfect Special Attack IV with the Defense one. Cause, you know, if you don't have any Special moves then the Special Attack stat is pointless.

But if you truly want a 6 perfect IV Pokemon, then it's all up to chance. :)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Yes, baby Pokemon should relearn their inherited moves again at the move relearner's house.

Moving this over to Quick Questions~

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    Hey so I've been breeding Drapion and I finally got the "perfect" one,

Now my question is, should I make him a special wall or a defensive wall?

Help please

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Hey so I've been breeding Drapion and I finally got the "perfect" one,

Now my question is, should I make him a special wall or a defensive wall?

Help please

Well, it has a MUCH better base Defense than Special Defense, so I would say make it a physical wall. It depends what best complements the rest of your team though, of course.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    Well, it has a MUCH better base Defense than Special Defense, so I would say make it a physical wall. It depends what best complements the rest of your team though, of course.

Thanks for your help, think I'll go for a defensive wall :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Thanks for your help, think I'll go for a defensive wall :)

Given Drapion's typing, it's better off as specially defensive, since most of its resists are specially-based:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Knock Off
    -Taunt
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/244 SDef/16 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Battle Armor

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    My Drapion does well:

Nature = + Defence - Sp attack, what that is.

Knock off
    Poinsen Jab
    Substitute
    Toxic Spike

Max evs in Def and HP.
    It can survive a few Earthquakes this way.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My Drapion does well:

Nature = + Defence - Sp attack, what that is.

Knock off
    Poinsen Jab
    Substitute
    Toxic Spike

Max evs in Def and HP.
    It can survive a few Earthquakes this way.

What purpose does Sub achieve on Drapion? Sure, it eases prediction by letting Drapion dodge status, but I'd rather use the opponent's switch to set up a layer of Toxic Spikes, Knock Off the switch-in's item, Taunt an incoming wall or Whirlwind them out.

Specially defensive Drapion is better for the reason I stated. Earthquake weakness still bites physically defensive Drapion in the butt.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I'm scared!

...I dunno, I'm new to the competitive scene, literally. I have a week experience... :(

Anyway, question:

Is the people in the competitive community nice? I've heard they don't like "Noobs", meaning me. Will I fit in?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Given Drapion's typing, it's better off as specially defensive, since most of its resists are specially-based:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Knock Off
    -Taunt
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/244 SDef/16 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Battle Armor

Interesting observation. Although of its resistances, only Grass and Dark are particularly common to see as move types, and Dark moves tend to be physical just as often as they are special. So I wouldn't say this is enough to outweigh its 110 - 75 advantage in Defense over Special Defense. I'm not saying this set wouldn't work though, it looks quite good.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Is the people in the competitive community nice? I've heard they don't like "Noobs", meaning me. Will I fit in?

You'd be better off asking someone that mods the PS server, or the Battle Center mod, awolffromspace. This thread is for questions about X and Y specifically, not really how people on the server are. If you meant the competitive community as a whole, that's a pretty broad group of people and you won't find just one answer for that, I'm sure.

I've only been in our battle server a few times, so I unfortunately can't say much about how it goes in there. :(

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Interesting observation. Although of its resistances, only Grass and Dark are particularly common to see as move types, and Dark moves tend to be physical just as often as they are special. So I wouldn't say this is enough to outweigh its 110 - 75 advantage in Defense over Special Defense. I'm not saying this set wouldn't work though, it looks quite good.

Don't forget that Ghost and Poison moves are starting to become more common (latter because of Fairies, former because of the Steel nerf), which is yet another reason to go specially defensive.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I have no idea what a PSmod is.
    I was talking about people who play X and Y, are they nice?

I don't want to rush in there and say: "ARE YOU GUYS NICE? I AM A NOOB!" I've done this before, and was shunded away from the community before I even joined :(
    Never. Again.

And sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I want to avoid what happened last time.

How do I get the Hex woman to give me Flamethrower? What time do I see her?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back