• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Edit: Didn't mean to quote, sorry! :D

Which is a better ability for Carbink? I automatically was going to go for Clear Body (as I love that Ability) however as I was looking online, it's Hidden Ability Sturdy caught my attention, particularly if you teach it Skill Swap and pair it with Shedinja wearing Safety Goggles (so the Shedinja will have Sturdy ability). I didn't want to train a Carbink just for that particular strategy so I was trying to figure out which ability was a better all around choice

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Which is a better ability for Carbink? I automatically was going to go for Clear Body (as I love that Ability) however as I was looking online, it's Hidden Ability Sturdy caught my attention, particularly if you teach it Skill Swap and pair it with Shedinja wearing Safety Goggles (so the Shedinja will have Sturdy ability). I didn't want to train a Carbink just for that particular strategy so I was trying to figure out which ability was a better all around choice

Sturdy is the superior ability on Carbink, so that it's guaranteed to do something from full health. Clear Body is useless in comparison. Also, Wonder Guard can't be Skill Swapped, but it can be negated by Gastro Acid or replaced by Simple Beam/Worry Seed/Entrainment so that Skill Swap can work on Shedinja.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Sturdy is the superior ability on Carbink, so that it's guaranteed to do something from full health. Clear Body is useless in comparison. Also, Wonder Guard can't be Skill Swapped, but it can be negated by Gastro Acid or replaced by Simple Beam/Worry Seed/Entrainment so that Skill Swap can work on Shedinja.

You sure?
    'Cause I remember on YouTube that someone was using Carbink and Shedinja on a Triple Battle.
    They were on a Trick Room effect, so Carbink went first with Skill Swap, swapping its [Sturdy] ability with Shedinja's [Wonder Guard] ability. Then in that video, he used Thunder Wave on Shedinja, probably to avoid getting it poisoned.

Then again, I'm no expert in competitive battles, so I didn't understand what you said in red.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You sure?
    'Cause I remember on YouTube that someone was using Carbink and Shedinja on a Triple Battle.
    They were on a Trick Room effect, so Carbink went first with Skill Swap, swapping its [Sturdy] ability with Shedinja's [Wonder Guard] ability. Then in that video, he used Thunder Wave on Shedinja, probably to avoid getting it poisoned.

Then again, I'm no expert in competitive battles, so I didn't understand what you said in red.

What I mean is that Shedinja must have its Wonder Guard ability changed by Simple Beam, Worry Seed or Entrainment before you use Skill Swap on it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    You sure?

"Wonder Guard cannot be Skill Swapped or copied by Role Play, but it can be Traced. In addition, Wonder Guard can be replaced with Simple Beam, Worry Seed, Entrainment or suppressed with Gastro Acid."
    Source: Bulbapedia http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wonder_Guard_(Ability)

No Pokémon other than Shedinja can have Wonder Guard, it's designed for Shedinja, otherwise you could give it to Normal types (and imagine how overpowered that would be xD).

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I have a question...
    I received a shiny Kalos-born Jolteon.
    According to the IV Judge, its potential is decent all around.
    Greatest potential: All 6 stats. It has rather decent stats, he says.
    And then, he follows it with a dismal HP, a disappointing ATK, DEF is nothing to write home about, Sp. ATK is pretty bad, Sp. DEF is no great shakes, and Speed is nothing to brag about.

Does this Jolteon have 0 IVs in...everything? o.0

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I have a question...
    And then, he follows it with a dismal HP, a disappointing ATK, DEF is nothing to write home about, Sp. ATK is pretty bad, Sp. DEF is no great shakes, and Speed is nothing to brag about.

Read this page and it might help you out:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats_judge

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I have a question...

This is why I always use this: http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml
    No questions, confusions or needing to look up phrases on bulbapedia. :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    IS there anything that can have the ability Frisk AND also know the moves Knock Off and Acrobatics?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    IS there anything that can have the ability Frisk AND also know the moves Knock Off and Acrobatics?
    I don't think there is. Only Banette can have Frisk and learn Knock Off, and Banette can't learn Acrobatics. Sorry :(.

Can in-game trainer (AI)'s Pokémon be Shiny or are they all Shiny locked? Just curious.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • IS there anything that can have the ability Frisk AND also know the moves Knock Off and Acrobatics?
    As mentioned earlier, Banette can have Frisk + Knock Off, but it can't learn Acrobatics. Likewise, Noibat and Noivern can have Frisk + Acrobatics, but no Knock Off. Why would you want this sort of thing?
    I don't think there is. Only Banette can have Frisk and learn Knock Off, and Banette can't learn Acrobatics. Sorry :(.

Can in-game trainer (AI)'s Pokémon be Shiny or are they all Shiny locked? Just curious.

No in-game trainer's Pokemon can be shiny. The exceptions are in FireRed/LeafGreen's Trainer Tower, where the owned Shinies are Meowth, Espeon and Seaking.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    As mentioned earlier, Banette can have Frisk + Knock Off, but it can't learn Acrobatics. Likewise, Noibat and Noivern can have Frisk + Acrobatics, but no Knock Off. Why would you want this sort of thing?

Cause I like that Knock Off has a 50% boost if the target is holding an item (which you use first) and Acrobatics 100% boost if they don't (which you use second), so if I had them both on a pokemon that had Frisk, I wouldn't have to (potentially) waste a turn guessing if they held an item before I used Knock Off first and then Acrobatics. Obviously if you're competing against human players, it's a safe bet that all your opponent pokemon will be holding items, but I liked the idea of knowing when the battle started. It's not a huge deal, there's 23 pokemon that can learn the two moves (assuming pokemondb.net move calculator is up to date) so if I come across one of them that I want the two moves on I can guess, but I would have preferred if I could put them both on a pokemon with Frisk. (I would have loved if Furret could have had these moves)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Cause I like that Knock Off has a 50% boost if the target is holding an item (which you use first) and Acrobatics 100% boost if they don't (which you use second), so if I had them both on a pokemon that had Frisk, I wouldn't have to (potentially) waste a turn guessing if they held an item before I used Knock Off first and then Acrobatics. Obviously if you're competing against human players, it's a safe bet that all your opponent pokemon will be holding items, but I liked the idea of knowing when the battle started. It's not a huge deal, there's 23 pokemon that can learn the two moves (assuming pokemondb.net move calculator is up to date) so if I come across one of them that I want the two moves on I can guess, but I would have preferred if I could put them both on a pokemon with Frisk. (I would have loved if Furret could have had these moves)

Acrobatics doesn't work that way. Its power only doubles only when the user isn't holding anything, not the opponent.

Acrobatics' real effect here

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This is more about Bank than XY. But I recently used my Y to put something in Bank, but I wasn't able to. I kept getting interrupted. So instead of putting my Pokemon in Bank, I traded them to a friend to hold on to so that I could go ahead and restart. And now, I just tried to use X with it and it was all like "no you gotta use Everlark on Y with this ID" and I...don't have that file anymore. Did I just...**** up Bank? :|

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Sounds like it got confused, but I never had such a problem so idk what to suggest exactly. =/ Wait it out a bit for starters though as it sometimes doesn't want to let you back in if you have a dodgy connection, I find, then try again. Probably a way to contact bank people if the problem continues, but it... really shouldn't care what game you are using. I had my friend use my game for his Bank no worries, with no problems before or after too for myself.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It was days ago that I tried using it. I just tried with Y and it's not working because I'm not that trainer with that ID anymore.

I broke Bank, guys. I ****ing broke Bank. I'm going to go strangle myself. Lesson learned. Don't restart after a failed attempt at using Bank. It won't recognize you anymore.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It was days ago that I tried using it. I just tried with Y and it's not working because I'm not that trainer with that ID anymore.

I broke Bank, guys. I ****ing broke Bank. I'm going to go strangle myself. Lesson learned. Don't restart after a failed attempt at using Bank. It won't recognize you anymore.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    It was days ago that I tried using it. I just tried with Y and it's not working because I'm not that trainer with that ID anymore.

lol, relax, just log in at http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com with your user id and such, remove the game from your profile and then you're good to go. (I have heard that it could take anywhere from an hour to a week to remove a particular game file from your online ID, but mostly that' sbecause people who don't know what they're talking about post stuff they heard on internet message boards, lol! I have no idea how long it will actually take, but once you remove it, it should tell you how long, if at all, you need to wait.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • OH THANK GOD. I was sitting here kicking myself because my boyfriend had all his stuff on there until he got XY. Thank you so much!

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    if I buy a Japanese 3ds, do I also have to buy a copy of pkmn x or y from japan, or can i play my us pkmn x without any issues?

i have heard about this so-called compatibility issues, yet i'm unsure if that's true...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back