• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Flushed:

Ok so lets make a fake scenario. Your battling competitively against a lvl 100 Shiny Pikachu with your lvl 100 regular Pikachu that you've bred specifically for competition. Is it safe to assume that the regular Pikachu will probably have better stats than the Shiny Pikachu, and any other Shiny Pikachu's he ever encounters?

Shinyness is not connected to IVs, thus the answer to 1) is no (assuming random encounter). When you breed for a shiny (or any Pokemon for that matter), if the parents have good IVs and a Destiny Knot, etc. etc. then they may possibly have better IVs, so the answer to 2/3 is possibly.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    @Flushed:

Ok so lets make a fake scenario. Your battling competitively against a lvl 100 Shiny Pikachu with your lvl 100 regular Pikachu that you've bred specifically for competition. Is it safe to assume that the regular Pikachu will probably have better stats than the Shiny Pikachu, and any other Shiny Pikachu's he ever encounters?
    Well if you breed for competition (31 IVs in every stat), it will be better than the shiny, unless the shiny also has 31 IVs in every stat. So in essence, the color of the Pokemon does not determine its stats. You may see shinies that are competitive, so ones that will be as good as your Pikachu, but just because they're shiny does not mean they are better or worse.

And to answer your question below, I believe at a chain of 40 or more, you are guaranteed at least 3 perfect 31 IV stats. You cannot however chain in the Friend Safari.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Lilith:

So using Pokeradar chaining actually increases the the odds of having amazing IVs, not just the chance of encountering a Shiny? Also, using the same Pokeradar chaining method in the Friend Safari may technically add another increase in your odds for amazing IVs because of the guaranteed two flawless ones?

Thanks Lilith

1) No, but many players hunt for shiny Pokemon via Pokeradar chaining, where at a chain of 40, your shiny odds are maximized and the Pokemon you encounter can have some flawless IVs. Another way players hunt for shinies is in the Friend Safari. Pokemon in the Friend Safari are guaranteed to have at least two flawless IVs. So, these two methods may give you a shiny Pokemon with higher IVs than say, randomly finding a shiny Pokemon on the third route.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Flushed:

So its actually possible to create a perfect 6 IV Shiny rather than depend on luck? So you can literally say "Hey, I like this Pokemon. I wan't to find and make a Shiny version of it with 6 perfect IV's."?
    Well if you breed for competition (31 IVs in every stat), it will be better than the shiny, unless the shiny also has 31 IVs in every stat. So in essence, the color of the Pokemon does not determine it's stats. You may see shinies that are competitive, so ones that will be as good as your Pikachu, but just because their shiny does not mean they are better or worse.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    @Flushed:

So its actually possible to create a perfect 6 IV Shiny rather than depend on luck? So you can literally say "Hey, I like this Pokemon. I wan't to find and make a Shiny version of it with 6 perfect IV's."?
    You have to breed and get extremely lucky, but it's possible.

And to answer your other questions: I believe at a chain of 40 or more, you are guaranteed at least 3 perfect 31 IV stats. You cannot however chain in the Friend Safari.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Flushed:

Which is most likely to obtain the desired Shiny pokemon with 6 IV's? Breeding, pokeradar, or Safari?

Which method has the best odds of good IV's for a Shiny encounter while keeping time spent to a minimum? Like, would you find a Pokemon with good IV's faster via Chaining or Safari?

Pokeradars
    You have to breed and get extremely lucky, but it's possible.

And to answer your other questions: I believe at a chain of 40 or more, you are guaranteed at least 3 perfect 31 IV stats. You cannot however chain in the Friend Safari.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    @Flushed:

Which is most likely to obtain the desired Shiny pokemon with 6 IV's? Breeding, pokeradar, or Safari?

Which method has the best odds of good IV's for a Shiny encounter while keeping time spent to a minimum? Like, would you find a Pokemon with good IV's faster via Chaining or Safari?

Pokeradars
    I believe breeding is the most efficient and common method. Typically, you don't always need 6IV, 5IV (<31 in ATK or SP.ATK usually) is sufficient and manageable. Pokeradar is to my knowledge only a guarantee of 3 perfect IVs after 40. I faintly recall it increasing to one more perfect IV every 40 more in the chain, but I can't remember if that was true or not. Regardless, that would be very difficult to get a 120 chain. Safari is not really plausible for more than 3 perfect IVs. You're guaranteed 2 perfects in a shiny encounter, and each subsequent perfect IV has a 1/31 multiplier chance.

If you want 5IV shinies, breeding is the way to go (albeit it may be a long process). You can get 3IV shinies faster probably by chaining, but that's 3IV, not 5 or 6.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Flushed:

Jeez, your the best! Thanks for smashing my questions into brain food for me. I actually have a few more loosely related questions...

1) Whats the easiest way for me to get a 6 IV Ditto?
    2) Two dittos cannot breed together, nor can you ever have a egg hatch to become a Ditto, correct?
    3) If I give destiny knot to a Pokemon who has 5 flawless IV's, his kids will inherit 5 random ones so sometimes I will fail in getting the 5 perfect IV's correct?
    4) If a baby does inherit the 5 flawless IV's from the parent, his 6th IV is randomly generated and may or may not be flawless, correct?

I believe breeding is the most efficient and common method.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    @Flushed:

Jeez, your the best! Thanks for smashing my questions into brain food for me. I actually have a few more loosely related questions...

1) Whats the easiest way for me to get a 6 IV Ditto?
    2) Two dittos cannot breed together, nor can you ever have a egg hatch to become a Ditto, correct?
    3) If I give destiny knot to a Pokemon who has 5 flawless IV's, his kids will inherit 5 random ones so sometimes I will fail in getting the 5 perfect IV's correct?
    4) If a baby does inherit the 5 flawless IV's from the parent, his 6th IV is randomly generated and may or may not be flawless, correct?
    1) I think trading for one is the easiest, they're not easy to come by in the wild.
    2) Correct.
    3) Destiny Knot inherits 5 random IVs total from both parents, which is why you will sometimes fail in getting 5 flawless IVs, so essentially correct. If both parents are 6 IV, you are guaranteed a child of at least 5 perfect IVs.
    4) Correct.

And I'm not sure if you know about the Masuda Method for breeding shinies, but having foreign parents increases the chance of a shiny.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Flushed:
    Ughh thats not good! So can the 5 Random stats come from one parent or will both parents always pass down at least one of their stats? I'll have to breed two sets of parents who both have 5-6 IV's in order to get a higher chance of having flawless child. Which seems meaningless considering the parents would already be strong if they did indeed have 5-6 Perfect IV's unless your doing it for super specific reasons such as move inheriting or changing the nature?

1) I think trading for one is the easiest, they're not easy to come by in the wild.
    2) Correct.
    3) Destiny Knot inherits 5 random IVs total from both parents, which is why you will sometimes fail in getting 5 flawless IVs, so essentially correct. If both parents are 6 IV, you are guaranteed a child of at least 5 perfect IVs.
    4) Correct.

And I'm not sure if you know about the Masuda Method for breeding shinies, but having foreign parents increases the chance of a shiny.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I have a Piplup with an encountered date of 2-15-13. What does this mean, since it was a year ago!?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I have a Piplup with an encountered date of 2-15-13. What does this mean, since it was a year ago!?

Either that it came from a previous game and was transferred over via Pokebank or that the DS simply had the wrong date on it when it was caught. (It's pretty easy to do, just go into settings)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    @Flushed:
    Ughh thats not good! So can the 5 Random stats come from one parent or will both parents always pass down at least one of their stats? I'll have to breed two sets of parents who both have 5-6 IV's in order to get a higher chance of having flawless child. Which seems meaningless considering the parents would already be strong if they did indeed have 5-6 Perfect IV's unless your doing it for super specific reasons such as move inheriting or changing the nature?
    Yes sadly, having better parents is the best way to get good children. It'll take 5 of the random total 12 IVs and pass them on to the child. Usually you use less than perfect parents to try and breed for the 5 or 6IV child, or use the good parents to breed for a good shiny.

Probably from Bank, is it Japanese?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    @Flushed:

yeah, but they could have the WRONG 5 IVs. Say you want HP, Att, Def, Sp Def and Speed but one parent has HP, Att, SpAtt, Sp Def and Speed, and the other has Hp, Def, SpAtt, Sp Def and Speed. Neither of the parents have the stats you want individually, but by breeding them together you eventually do get the spread you want.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Either that it came from a previous game and was transferred over via Pokebank or that the DS simply had the wrong date on it when it was caught. (It's pretty easy to do, just go into settings)

Ah, so it's not necessarily hacked then? I'll have to check if it's Japanese or if it has the Kalos mark. If it DOES have the Kalos mark, would that be weird?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Ah, so it's not necessarily hacked then? I'll have to check if it's Japanese or if it has the Kalos mark. If it DOES have the Kalos mark, would that be weird?

Still no because changing the date on the DS is very easy to do, and lots of people (especially if they have games like Animal Crossing) would be changing the dates al over the places to gets stuff at specific times of the year, so if they forgot (or just didn't bother) to change the date when they were playing Pokemon and bred a piplup then it would have whatever date is in the DS

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Flushed & Howmander:

Ok I think I got a grasp on it now. Thanks for all the help. :)

Yes sadly, having better parents is the best way to get good children. It'll take 5 of the random total 12 IVs and pass them on to the child. Usually you use less than perfect parents to try and breed for the 5 or 6IV child, or use the good parents to breed for a good shiny.

yeah, but they could have the WRONG 5 IVs. Say you want HP, Att, Def, Sp Def and Speed but one parent has HP, Att, SpAtt, Sp Def and Speed, and the other has Hp, Def, SpAtt, Sp Def and Speed. Neither of the parents have the stats you want individually, but by breeding them together you eventually do get the spread you want.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    is there ANY way to teach a Kalos Rotom Signal Beam? I see that is is one of it's special moves from Dream World, but was wondering if it was at all possible for one found in Kalos to learn the moves. Also, how does it get it's special moves via it's alternate forms? Do you get teh option to teach it when it changes form, or do you have to change form and then go to a move relearner to learn the signature move of each individual form? Also, I am going to be breeding to get all 5 forms, so can I interact with all the items in the lab or do I only get the choice of one at a time even if I have multiple Rotoms?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    is there ANY way to teach a Kalos Rotom Signal Beam? I see that is is one of it's special moves from Dream World, but was wondering if it was at all possible for one found in Kalos to learn the moves. Also, how does it get it's special moves via it's alternate forms? Do you get teh option to teach it when it changes form, or do you have to change form and then go to a move relearner to learn the signature move of each individual form? Also, I am going to be breeding to get all 5 forms, so can I interact with all the items in the lab or do I only get the choice of one at a time even if I have multiple Rotoms?
    Rotom can only learn Signal Beam through BW2, so no.

And upon changing forms, you must learn the special move to take on the alternate form. You do not need to go to the Move Relearner.

Haven't tried with multiple Rotoms though, so not sure about the last part.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back