• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Question: Is it possible to meet passers-by while playing PKMN X/Y even though you are not connected to the internet (but your wi-fi on 3DS is still enabled) ?
    Last night, while on a bus heading home, one random icon suddenly appeared on my once-empty Passer-by list. o.0
    I can battle/trade/give a nice to him, but after a minute, his icon grayed-out. =/

Yeah, it's possible to meet Passerbys without being connected to the internet. I've occasionally had a Passerby pop up on my list on the train ride to/from college.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    Question: Is it possible to meet passers-by while playing PKMN X/Y even though you are not connected to the internet (but your wi-fi on 3DS is still enabled) ?
    Last night, while on a bus heading home, one random icon suddenly appeared on my once-empty Passer-by list. o.0
    I can battle/trade/give a nice to him, but after a minute, his icon grayed-out. =/

to reiterate the response above, even though the wifi isn't connected but still on. the 3DS still has the built in "Street Pass" system. Also this is what allows you to battle/trade with those random passerbys (or like when your friend's at your house with their DS or your 2nd DS).

Also another benefit of street pass is that it gives you Pokemiles when you find others.

To get rid of that green StreetPass icon on your 3DS' homescreen, you have to go to the PSS (in Pokemon X/Y) and open up the Holo Caster (not to be confused with the Holo Caster item in your Bag). Once you're there, hit "check announcements." Then hit "Streetpass News" and you'll be notified of how many people you've StreetPassed, how many PokeMiles you got for that, and your total PokeMiles.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    If your pokemon bank expires, how much is the subscription cost to renew the subscription?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    If I live somewhere in Southeast Asia and I have 3DS which is US, and X/Y US. Can still use the pokemon bank even I'm not the one on the mentioned country list?*
    *I lived in Indonesia though

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    mass quote said:
    Does anyone know anything about the maintenance schedule; or when ratings battle is likely to be back up?

When the Online Services are ever in maintenance, you just simply have to go to the Pokemon Global Link website:
    https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/

This time around, it looks like a Major update is underway, down until tomorrow.

Last time we had long maintenance like this, was when Pokemon Bank was re-released O:!

so maybe some patches to the game and services will follow..

The maintenance period when Pokebank came out was like 2-3 hours. They shortened the estimated update because they didn't do anything with the PGL like they intended to do. It had nothing to do with the Bank at all.

We may be switching battle seasons so they are resetting the online servers to get ready for the new online tournament season.

Yeah, this is possible, although the current season ends on Sunday, so it seems a little premature. I want to believe that a patch is being introduced to improve the Pokemon Bank filter for hacked Pokemon, but I think this is a bit too much to hope for :P

The Bank Server isn't part of the PGL. Its through a different system set up which is why its not linked to specific games and uses your Nintendo network ID while the PGL does not.

When there is PGL maintenance concerning Pokémon: A new mini game is being added, they are updating the general PGL site, or doing Site database to Game database information mergers and or improving the connection between games and the online servers.

Bank is ran through a separate cloud server that is updated through the general Nintendo Services. As far as I'm aware, the Bank is operational despite the downtime and battle spot ranking matches not being available. ( I did access mine this morning to transfer over another box.)

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I knew it was too good to be true :P

Actually it was down for a whole day and 1/2.

and I wasn't talking about the European/US release, but in prep for the Japanese release/re-release.

It was apparently for a new battle format starting after the current tournament season ends.

The after maintenance update was about Season 3:

The Special Battle Season 3 rules have been announced. This season begins next Tuesday, February 25th 2014 and runs until May 13th. The Special Battle rules are practically identical to the ones in Season 2, being Double Battle using Pokémon from the Kalos Pokédex (excluding Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal & Zygarde), all of which have to have been caught or hatched in the Kalos region. We'll bring more as and when it comes.

So there apparently might be a slight shift in what they allow on the battle spot or there is a new rule that required them to shut it down for extended maintenance to add into Battle Spot's coding for the next season. The extra quotes are for relevance towards the original question.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Can anyone see this Battle Video on their Vs. Recorder? I uploaded it a little while ago, and apparently thebest can't see it. I wanna know if its just him or if the problem is on my end or what. The code is:

QBCG-WWWW-WWW5-LCKH

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    Can anyone see this Battle Video on their Vs. Recorder? I uploaded it a little while ago, and apparently thebest can't see it. I wanna know if its just him or if the problem is on my end or what. The code is:

QBCG-WWWW-WWW5-LCKH

It works.. you probably should tell "thebest" they need to verify they are connected to the internet and inputted the code exactly to view it, since the vs. recorder works offline too to view your own videos, but of course wont work for others unless you're connected :)!

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2014
    What item will make rare encounters more often?

what item will make rare encounters more often, For example, In route 5 there is an abra, The percentage to see him is 5%, I've been trying to catch him for over 2 hours and have only seen him twice.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    what item will make rare encounters more often, For example, In route 5 there is an abra, The percentage to see him is 5%, I've been trying to catch him for over 2 hours and have only seen him twice.

There is no way to increase the encounter rate of rare Pokemon in general, but there are Abilities that help for finding certain types of Pokemon. If the Pokemon at the front of your party has the Ability Static, then the chances of finding Electric-type Pokemon is increased, and similarly Magnet Pull increases the chance of finding Steel-types. So if the rare Pokemon in question is Electric- or Steel-type, you can use those. There is also Cute Charm which increases the chance of finding Pokemon of the opposite gender. Otherwise there is no way of increasing the chance of encountering particular Pokemon.

If you want to catch an Abra, I recommend using a Pokemon with the Ability Arena Trap or Shadow Tag, or with the move Taunt or Block or Mean Look, so it can't Teleport. There's even a TM for Taunt, which is handy.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2014
    The Perfect Volt tackle Pikachu

I want to build a perfect pikachu that i plan to never evolve.
    what are a good nature (Timid?) and moveset for him?

Im specifically looking for a healing move i can teach him. Plus +Volt Tackle

Any Suggestions?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017

Any Suggestions?
    Timid lowers Attack, so if you're using Volt Tackle, you might want Jolly instead. Also Pikachu doesn't get any recovery moves as far as I know. Most Pikachu run Special sets so I can't really suggest much for a physical set.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    Is it possible to get a Hidden ability pokemon in a fourth gen pokeball? I ask because I transferred a Vulpix caught in a love ball to X and have been breeding it with a Male Drought Vulpix for several hours now, with the Oval Charm and Hatch Power 3, and so far nothing. I just fin it hard to believe that I haven't gotten one Drought Vulpix yet.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    Is it possible to get a Hidden ability pokemon in a fourth gen pokeball? I ask because I transferred a Vulpix caught in a love ball to X and have been breeding it with a Male Drought Vulpix for several hours now, with the Oval Charm and Hatch Power 3, and so far nothing. I just fin it hard to believe that I haven't gotten one Drought Vulpix yet.

Unfortunately, if the female doesn't have the HA, then it won't be passed down to the offspring. The only way the male can pass the HA is if it's bred with a Ditto.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023

male parents have lower chances of passing down their abilities to egglings.
    i tried with an Eevee and it was frustrating.
    I changed the HA parent to a female Eevee, and almost all hatchlings have HAs :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

Any Suggestions?

The only problem with trying to build a perfect Volt Tackle Pikachu is that one of the parents must be holding Light Ball, which makes the breeding process a lot harder since you have to give up either Everstone or Destiny Knot. So even though Volt Tackle's a cool exclusive move, you might be better off making a special-oriented Pikachu. In which case Timid is the right Nature.

And it's terrible defensively, so it's not worth having a healing move.

Last edited:

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    I personally like the surfing Pikachu (modest) as then you have a move you can hit all the slower ground types with super-effectively and potentially One-Hit KO them before they knock you out.. :D

Also i choose Modest over Timid since Pikachu is already pretty speedy than it's typical opponents, so a 10% boost in Sp. Attack is better than 10% boost in Speed in my opinion.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I personally like the surfing Pikachu (modest) as then you have a move you can hit all the slower ground types with super-effectively and potentially One-Hit KO them before they knock you out.. :D

Also i choose Modest over Timid since Pikachu is already pretty speedy than it's typical opponents, so a 10% boost in Sp. Attack is better than 10% boost in Speed in my opinion.

90 Speed isn't the best Speed stat to have. Pikachu needs all the Speed it can get:
    -Substitute
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Encore/Grass Knot
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Light Ball
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    90 Speed isn't the best Speed stat to have. Pikachu needs all the

Modest Pikachu's Base Speed with a 0 IV in Speed = 95 not 90 (timid/jolly = 104).. but with 31 perfect IV Modest Pikachu's speed it is 110 (at level 50)

Pikachu's base speed rivals and even surpasses many Legendaries.

Realistically, you'll have it EV Trained for speed and hopefully a perfect IV, and in battle (level 50) it's speed is 142 (timid/jolly is 156)..

Lastly, you need to compare pikachu to it's typical opponents: such as Vaporeon who's speed is only up to 128 (65 base), or blastoise who's speed is 143 (78 base), if for some strange reason they were speed built, which is never.. Pikachu's typical water opponents are pretty slow, even some of it's flying counterparts are pretty slow in comparison such as pidgeotto who's speed is a measley 135 (71 base)... you can't complain about Modest Pikachu's base 95 speed, because it isn't surpassed by many pokemon that one would send a Pikachu out against..

So unless you're referring to legendaries and pokemon who by design are speed built (but, in these cases, Timid/Jolly would make no difference), Pikachu has no speed issues in number comparisons.

Also you can go here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_base_stats_%28Generation_VI-present%29 sort the list by Base Speed, and you'll see that the majority of pokemon that are almost or equal or slightly above to pikachu's base speed are mostly pokemon in which a speedy pikachu would make no difference with (resistant/normal to Pikachu's main attacks), are legendary, you'll never ever see in battle, or not in it's Tier.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back