• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What are all the switch out moves? I know of U-Turn, Volt Switch, Ally Switch but that's all I know about. Are there more? And second, are there any pokemon that can learn multiple switch out moves? I'm wanting to try something and just curious how it would wok out (not counting smeargle for obvious reasons!)
    Baton Pass and Parting Shot. You're not including moves that switch the target out are you?

Also, Plusle/Minun can learn Volt Switch and Baton Pass, and I'm almost certain there are more that can learn multiple as well but I can't find them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Baton Pass and Parting Shot. You're not including moves that switch the target out are you?

Also, Plusle/Minun can learn Volt Switch and Baton Pass, and I'm almost certain there are more that can learn multiple as well but I can't find them.

correct, only moves that switch out the user. so only 4, huh? thank you very much for your help!

New question, how on earth can I get a Snorlax with Self Destruct? I got one in trade that had Zen Headbutt however even though Self Destruct is listed as an egg move in Gen 5 and 6, there's no listed breeding chain for it. And even in gen 4 it's not even an egg move at all, but listed as a special move. How can I breed this move? And if anyone has a snorlax with this special move, any chance I could borrow it for a few hours to breed my own? (preferably male since my Snorlax with Zen Headbutt is female)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    New question, how on earth can I get a Snorlax with Self Destruct? I got one in trade that had Zen Headbutt however even though Self Destruct is listed as an egg move in Gen 5 and 6, there's no listed breeding chain for it. And even in gen 4 it's not even an egg move at all, but listed as a special move. How can I breed this move? And if anyone has a snorlax with this special move, any chance I could borrow it for a few hours to breed my own? (preferably male since my Snorlax with Zen Headbutt is female)

Check out this page. It seems like the only Pokemon in the Monster egg group who can learn Self-Destruct is Munchlax/Snorlax only. It was a TM move that Snorlax could learn back in gen 1 and it was a Tutor move in XD. Also, the Munchlax from the Pokewalker have it. So I'm afraid you'd have to transport a parent from one of those games to breed it in Kalos.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I just checked and as far as I can tell it could only learn it in Gen I and XD, and in HGSS by Pokéwalker, but no Gen VI unless you can find someone that got the Pokèwalker Munchlax in HGSS that bred it. Surely there must have been someone out there who preserved it...

EDIT: MIAU got there first

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I just checked and as far as I can tell it could only learn it in Gen I and XD, and in HGSS by Pokéwalker, but no Gen VI unless you can find someone that got the Pokèwalker Munchlax in HGSS that bred it. Surely there must have been someone out there who preserved it...

EDIT: MIAU got there first

I sure hope so! I don't even need the snorlax permanently, I just need it long enough to breed and then I would give it right back to whomever might have it. But that's good to know that it could learn it in XD, at least that doubles the amount of pokemon that could potentially be floating around with it! :D

Years
  • Cresselia's only known ability is Levitate. As far as anyone knows, it does not have a Hidden Ability. Those are usually pretty easy for hackers to find out anyway.

It is possible to hit a levitating Pokemon with a Ground attack. Perhaps the Cresselia was holding a Ring Target or an Iron Ball. Maybe Gravity was in effect, or it had been hit by Gastro Acid. And what Pokemon was the one using Earthquake? Because if it's ability is Mold Breaker, that would allow it to hit a levitating Pokemon with Earthquake as well.

But Cresselia ate a berry that woke it up (after using darkvoid from my Meowstick that used assist that got the move from Smeargle). PS if it had a hidden it probably would be Telepathy as someone (Can't find it) reported a Cresselia with it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    But Cresselia ate a berry that woke it up (after using darkvoid from my Meowstick that used assist that got the move from Smeargle). PS if it had a hidden it probably would be Telepathy as someone (Can't find it) reported a Cresselia with it.
    That's....really weird. ~_~ Earthquake shouldn't have hit it then, and Telepathy (if that really is it's unrevealed HA) only allows it to dodge attacks from allies, not enemies. Did you happen to save a battle video of that particular battle?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How good is the Belly Drum Slurpuff, really? I spent so long trying to breed a Swirlix with the perfect IVs, and then pained over which ability to give it (unburden or Sweet Viel since the latter was an exclusive move) so my Slurpuff is the following:

Modest Nature,
    EV: Sp Att, SpDef maxed, Speed wtih 6
    Ability: Unburden
    Item: Salac Berry
    Flamethrower
    Cotton Guard
    Psychic/Wish
    Dazzling Gleam

Flamethrower and psychic are to cover the type weaknesses and Cotton Guard was to boost it's Def and since I already EV trained for SpDef then both it's defences will be boosted and ofcourse get the double speed boost if the HP goes too low. So yes, I know it's not the best moveset ever but that's what I want. HOWEVER, I just recently started looking at the Belly Drum/Play Rough/Sitrus berry combo which looks fantastic but that means more breeding and for me to switch to a physically based Slurpuff instead of a special based one (and to also find a pokemon to get belly drum from. stupid egg moves) so is this as amazing as it sounds, or is it not THAT great? I kind of don't want to go through all the trouble of rebreeding. UNLESS there is another pokemon that has unbruden and can learn belly drum, in which case I would go with that one (preferably with stronger base attack than Slurpuff) does such a pokemon exist or is Slurpuff the ONLY one that can learn this combo? Thanks

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How good is the Belly Drum Slurpuff, really? I spent so long trying to breed a Swirlix with the perfect IVs, and then pained over which ability to give it (unburden or Sweet Viel since the latter was an exclusive move) so my Slurpuff is the following:

Modest Nature,
    EV: Sp Att, SpDef maxed, Speed wtih 6
    Item: Salac Berry
    Flamethrower
    Cotton Guard
    Psychic/Wish
    Dazzling Gleam

Flamethrower and psychic are to cover the type weaknesses and Cotton Guard was to boost it's Def and since I already EV trained for SpDef then both it's defences will be boosted and ofcourse get the double speed boost if the HP goes too low. So yes, I know it's not the best moveset ever but that's what I want. HOWEVER, I just recently started looking at the Belly Drum/Play Rough/Sitrus berry combo which looks fantastic but that means more breeding and for me to switch to a physically based Slurpuff instead of a special based one (and to also find a pokemon to get belly drum from. stupid egg moves) so is this as amazing as it sounds, or is it not THAT great? I kind of don't want to go through all the trouble of rebreeding. UNLESS there is another pokemon that has unbruden and can learn belly drum, in which case I would go with that one (preferably with stronger base attack than Slurpuff) does such a pokemon exist or is Slurpuff the ONLY one that can learn this combo? Thanks
    Belly Drum Slurpuff is best mid to late-game, preferably when priority users, Steel and Poison Pokemon have been weakened or taken out. The best way to get Slurpuff in is after a teammate is KOed or on a slow U-turn/Volt Switch, preferably on something that can't do much to Slurpuff.

Also, special Unburden Slurpuff should use Calm Mind, IMO, because it's rather weak without boosts. While Cotton Guard makes Slurpuff impenetrable on the physical end, the opponent can simply attack its weaker Special Defense once they figure you out. Also, Unburden Slurpuff would rather have some Speed investment so that it at least outspeeds stuff pre-Unburden. With your current spread, base 115 Speed and above Pokemon like Cinccino and Sceptile still outspeed Slurpuff after Unburden, so you gotta go fast here:
    -Calm Mind
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Flamethrower/Surf/Psychic/Thunderbolt/Substitute
    -Flamethrower/Surf/Psychic/Thunderbolt/Substitute
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Red Card/Sitrus Berry

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Well I'm not actually trying to outspeed most of those things, as Slurpuff's base speed is only 72, I'm actually trying to outlast things, hence all the boosting to my defenses. I'm only trying to make best use of it's ability (and when the only other option is Sweet Viel, there's not a whole lot of stuff to choose from!) but other than the SpAtt boost from Calm Mind, isn't your strategy just 6 of one, half a dozen of the other? I if had Cotton guard, yes they could just attack my SpDef, but if I have calm mind, then couldn't they just attack me physically? (so it's basically the same thing no matter which I go with)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well I'm not actually trying to outspeed most of those things, as Slurpuff's base speed is only 72, I'm actually trying to outlast things, hence all the boosting to my defenses. I'm only trying to make best use of it's ability (and when the only other option is Sweet Viel, there's not a whole lot of stuff to choose from!) but other than the SpAtt boost from Calm Mind, isn't your strategy just 6 of one, half a dozen of the other? I if had Cotton guard, yes they could just attack my SpDef, but if I have calm mind, then couldn't they just attack me physically? (so it's basically the same thing no matter which I go with)

To tell you the truth, if Slurpuff has two of its slots taken up by Calm Mind and Cotton Guard, its coverage is limited.

Pokemon with Unburden are supposed to make the most out of the +2 Speed boost by sweeping things left to right, not outlasting things. Prime examples are Hawlucha and Hitmonlee. Slurpuff is no exception to this, even if its stats are average at best. Unburden mons need maximum Speed to be at their full potential and investing in bulk makes Unburden pointless, IMO. Remember that Slurpuff lacks reliable recovery outside of Draining Kiss (a weak move), so it gets worn down easily.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    To tell you the truth, if Slurpuff has two of its slots taken up by Calm Mind and Cotton Guard, its coverage is limited.

Pokemon with Unburden are supposed to make the most out of the +2 Speed boost by sweeping things left to right, not outlasting things. Prime examples are Hawlucha and Hitmonlee. Slurpuff is no exception to this, even if its stats are average at best. Unburden mons need maximum Speed to be at their full potential and investing in bulk makes Unburden pointless, IMO. Remember that Slurpuff lacks reliable recovery outside of Draining Kiss (a weak move), so it gets worn down easily.

no, no, you misunderstand, I was using cotton guard INSTEAD of Calm mind (for the reasons I said above, because your suggestion makes no benefit to defense just like my suggestion made no benefit to sp defense, meanng that either way one of it's defenses will be attacked in the way you said) and the things about the speed thing, once again, is that I'm not sacrificing some amazing ability in order to use Unburden, it's only other option is Sweet Viel which only has a limited use so I'm just making the best of a bad situation (again, it only has a base speed of 72 which is not great) and by the time the salac berry kicks in, you're already in the read in your HP anyway so by the time unburden takes effect, you're only getting one more hit off anyway.

But anyway, on a different topic, does anyone have a Full Incense they could give me? in exchange, I'll give you a 5IV Adamant Munchlax with Zen Headbutt and Self Destruct! (after I breed it using the full incense, of course)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • no, no, you misunderstand, I was using cotton guard INSTEAD of Calm mind (for the reasons I said above, because your suggestion makes no benefit to defense just like my suggestion made no benefit to sp defense, meanng that either way one of it's defenses will be attacked in the way you said) and the things about the speed thing, once again, is that I'm not sacrificing some amazing ability in order to use Unburden, it's only other option is Sweet Viel which only has a limited use so I'm just making the best of a bad situation (again, it only has a base speed of 72 which is not great) and by the time the salac berry kicks in, you're already in the read in your HP anyway so by the time unburden takes effect, you're only getting one more hit off anyway.

But anyway, on a different topic, does anyone have a Full Incense they could give me? in exchange, I'll give you a 5IV Adamant Munchlax with Zen Headbutt and Self Destruct! (after I breed it using the full incense, of course)

Without Calm Mind or Belly Drum, Slurpuff is very weak. It won't be able to sweep effectively without any form of offensive boost, regardless of whether Unburden is active or not. That's why they're mandatory options if you intend to attack with Slurpuff at all.

As I mentioned before, Unburden Pokemon run sweeper spreads to make the most out of the Speed boost they gain through the ability. They're not meant to outlast others; they're meant to go all-out once the stage is set.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    If a Pokémon has Mold Breaker in a Double Battle and uses Earthquake while it's Flying-type ally is out with it, does it break the mold to hit the ally? I assume so, and if so then darn.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If a Pokémon has Mold Breaker in a Double Battle and uses Earthquake while it's Flying-type ally is out with it, does it break the mold to hit the ally? I assume so, and if so then darn.

Flying Pokemon are still immune to a Mold Breaker Pokemon's Earthquake thanks to type advantage mechanics. However, an ally with Levitate is hit by Earthquake.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Flying Pokemon are still immune to a Mold Breaker Pokemon's Earthquake thanks to type advantage mechanics. However, an ally with Levitate is hit by Earthquake.

Oh, I didn't check and I assumed because it hit Levitaters it would hit Flying but it only applies to abilities. For the most part, that's quite helpful to allies.

Also, do Competition results become available immediately after the Competition or does it take a few days? I was doing my first Comp (Super Speed Double Battles) and I was wondering about it. Also I won 7/10 Battles :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2014
    Breeding Help(Newbie to site)

Hello people! As you can tell, I'm new here. I probably won't be active as much unless I have a serious question, like this:

I recently got a Palpitoad but I wanted its hidden ability. Say, If I breed it with a pokemon that has its hidden ability that I want (Water Absorb) will the pokemon be a Tympole with water absorb or not?

I was planning on trying to breed my female Palpitoad with my Water absorb Poliwrath. Will it work? Or what? Any help will be appreciated.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hello people! As you can tell, I'm new here. I probably won't be active as much unless I have a serious question, like this:

I recently got a Palpitoad but I wanted its hidden ability. Say, If I breed it with a pokemon that has its hidden ability that I want (Water Absorb) will the pokemon be a Tympole with water absorb or not?

I was planning on trying to breed my female Palpitoad with my Water absorb Poliwrath. Will it work? Or what? Any help will be appreciated.
    I moved your question into the X/Y Q&A thread, since it fits better in there.

The mother has to have the ability you want in order for the baby to have it as well. If your Palpitoad lacks Water Absorb, then the baby Tympoles will not ever be born with Water Absorb, even if the father (your Poliwrath in this case) has the hidden ability. You'd need a female Palpitoad that already has Water Absorb to breed Tympoles that would have their hidden ability. Males can pass down their Hidden Ability, but only if they breed with a Ditto.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2014
    I moved your question into the X/Y Q&A thread, since it fits better in there.

The mother has to have the ability you want in order for the baby to have it as well. If your Palpitoad lacks Water Absorb, then the baby Tympoles will not ever be born with Water Absorb, even if the father (your Poliwrath in this case) has the hidden ability. You'd need a female Palpitoad that already has Water Absorb to breed Tympoles that would have their hidden ability. Males can pass down their Hidden Ability, but only if they breed with a Ditto.

I see, well this sucks. Gotta get to trading then. Thanks a lot!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I'm genuinely nto sure what ability to give Scrafty as they're all kind of Ok and all have their uses but none of them really stick out to me. Anyway, the Scrafty I'm aiming to breed is as follows:

Adamant Nature
    Item: Leftovers (maybe)
    EV: Def and Sp Def maxed with 6 going to Att (there's a reason)
    Ability: No idea between Moxie, Shed Skin or Intimidate. (more on that later)
    Moves: Crunch, Dragon Dance, Drain Punch, Poison Jab or Ice Punch

So the reason I'm not EV training it's Att is because both it's defenses are it's strongest stat, so I am building those up to max and then since they are high, relying on Dragon Dance in battle to boost it's attack and speed. Obviously there are much stronger fighting moves than drain punch, but to make up for the turns it was dragon dancing it needed a healing move and a dual function fighting move made the most sense. Now the ability is the toughest part because I initially wanted Moxie, but Shed Skin can be pretty useful too, and I got a Scraggy in Wonder Trade that had Intimidate so now I'm considering that one too (not to mention it also had Ice Punch which is also why I'm considring that move instead of Poison Jab) and I really don't know which to do. As much as I generally don't love Smogon for their weird rules, I use to go there to at least get ideas for move sets. (even if I didn't use what they suggested, their suggestions did often give me ideas for my own) but I haven't been able to access the site in months, it's stuck on that blue and white search screen with all the icons and I can't access the site at all on my computer or my phone beyond that screen so that is no longer an option for me which is why I'm asking moveset questions here. Anyway, great big long post aside, which ability would you suggest not only over all, but also for my intended moveset? Thanks for your opinions!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back