• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    No. Gamefreak said they are not doing DLC for the Pokemon games. What we get is the finished product of their work...So the region as it is, is what we are getting until the next game comes out in the next year and a half or so at the earliest.

It's not likely that there's anymore, HOWEVER, just because there's no DLC for X and Y doesn't mean that they might not release a special train ticket or a special key to unlock those doors and with that item, see an expansion to Kalos that was already in the game, just not accessible. (Like the Sevii Islands or EON Island way back in Gen 3) Really, I think that if there was going to be something like that, they would have released it already, HOWEVER, I'm just saying that there can be more to a region without DLC

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Can someone explain the Safari Zone to me in great detail? Going by the description at https://www.serebii.net/xy/friendsafari.shtml I THOUGHT that if you went into, for example, the normal Safari, you could get access to the 7 - 8 pokemon listed in the first two slots, and then once that friend beat the elite four, their third slot opened and allowed you to catch the remaining 3 - 4 pokemon contained in that slot, but the more I hear people talking about it, do you only get ONE pokemon from each slot?

So if I had someone with a normal safari, would I ONLY get an Aipom and a Loudred, and then when they beat teh elite four, then I would only get a Chansey? how does it work? Do you only get 1 pokemon from each slot in a given safari, or do you get 3 - 4 pokemon per slot? If I get a normal Safari would I eventually get access to all the normal pokemon, or would I need at least 4 separate normal safaris in order to get all the pokemon in the normal safari? Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Can someone explain the Safari Zone to me in great detail? Going by the description at https://www.serebii.net/xy/friendsafari.shtml I THOUGHT that if you went into, for example, the normal Safari, you could get access to the 7 - 8 pokemon listed in the first two slots, and then once that friend beat the elite four, their third slot opened and allowed you to catch the remaining 3 - 4 pokemon contained in that slot, but the more I hear people talking about it, do you only get ONE pokemon from each slot?

So if I had someone with a normal safari, would I ONLY get an Aipom and a Loudred, and then when they beat teh elite four, then I would only get a Chansey? how does it work? Do you only get 1 pokemon from each slot in a given safari, or do you get 3 - 4 pokemon per slot? If I get a normal Safari would I eventually get access to all the normal pokemon, or would I need at least 4 separate normal safaris in order to get all the pokemon in the normal safari? Thanks!

You only get to see Aipom and Loudred at first if the other person didn't beat the Elite 4 and didn't come online at the same time as you yet. If the other person beat the Elite 4 and came online at the same time as you, the third Pokemon is available for you to encounter and catch. Only 3 Pokemon can be in a Friend Safari, one from each slot.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2014
    is Sylveon worth the work

i am just wondering if Sylveon is worth all the work to evolve it.

Side note, is there anyone with drillbur in their safari that would be willing to add me.

thanks.

1564-3433-8134

i also have a onyx with a spreadable pokerus too. if anyone wants that.

Last edited:
    Years
    i am just wondering if Sylveon is worth all the work to evolve it.

I used Sylveon on my X playthrough so I'll share my thoughts here.

You will have to take a fair bit of time to boost Eevee's affection in Pokemon Amie, since it needs at least 2 hearts in the affection rate plus the Eevee needs to have a Fairy-type move (notably Baby-Doll Eyes or Charm) then gain a level. Sylveon is a really good special attacker with some good defensive stats going for it as well so it's able to not only take hits but also unlike Umbreon, it can actually dish out damage that isn't too weak given its highest stats are Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense. Draining Kiss is a good move to have until it learns its best attack Moonblast, but I kept both on mine for convenience.

If you don't mind playing around with Eevee in Pokemon Amie for a while to boost its affection, it's definitely worth it. Sylveon worked out really well for me imo.

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    Did I understand IV training rigth? X-Y

Im mindboggled.

And I read a few guides but I get a bit confused, due to not explaining terms, and it seems hugely complicated with multiple ways to do it.and some guides for older pokemon games may not be accurate for XY. Ive found no " Idiots guide to IV training X-Y. So I guess I can ask about the bits that confuse me?

One.
    Why is it called IV5?
    There are six abilities. Speed, health, attack, sp.atk, defence and sp.def. does this mean one stat in six cant be superior?
    Or do it refer to something else?

Two.
    The potential judge is the key, he tels us we got it rigth with "outstanding overall" and "cant be beat" evaluation options.
    And then we aslo need to keep track of nature and personality, as they aslo translate into hidden numbers.
    Then there is the, you have to battle this and that pokemon as winning over them increase the sum of the hidden stat.
    How do you keep track of it all? From breeding to translating its potential to a trackable plan? Is there a chart for this online?

The Supertraining and IV training are two different potentials.

Also is it true that different items are needed for different kinds of pokemon to pass down stats?or is that thesamefor all?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Im mindboggled.

And I read a few guides but I get a bit confused, due to not explaining terms, and it seems hugely complicated with multiple ways to do it.and some guides for older pokemon games may not be accurate for XY. Ive found no " Idiots guide to IV training X-Y. So I guess I can ask about the bits that confuse me?

One.
    Why is it called IV5?
    There are six abilities. Speed, health, attack, sp.atk, defence and sp.def. does this mean one stat in six cant be superior?
    Or do it refer to something else?

Two.
    The potential judge is the key, he tels us we got it rigth with "outstanding overall" and "cant be beat" evaluation options.
    And then we aslo need to keep track of nature and personality, as they aslo translate into hidden numbers.
    Then there is the, you have to battle this and that pokemon as winning over them increase the sum of the hidden stat.
    How do you keep track of it all? From breeding to translating its potential to a trackable plan? Is there a chart for this online?

The Supertraining and IV training are two different potentials.

Also is it true that different items are needed for different kinds of pokemon to pass down stats?or is that thesamefor all?

Basically any give pokemon at a given level has exactly the same stats as every other identical pokemon (so every Charmander has exactly the same stats as every other pokemon) what separates them is that when a pokemon is created, each of it's six stats is assigned an invisible bonus called an IV (or Individual value) and that number can be anywhere from 0 - 31 meaning that that stat has 31 extra points when it gets to level 100. IVs are generated when the pokemon is created (encountered or hatched) and cannot be changed. EVs (Effort Values) are awarded when you fight specific pokemon in the wild (Bunnelby will give you 1 EV for Speed every time you fight one, Scatterbug give you 1 IV for Defense every time you fight one and so on) and for every 4 EVs you earn, you get an invisible point in that stat. Like IVs, you don't see the full effect of the points until Level 100. You can get 255 EVs within two stats for a maximum of 510 EVs total for a pokemon. To maximize the efficiency, you should only give 252 EVs within 2 stats and the remaining 6 EVs to a third stat just so every point goes somewhere. (although you can distribute them however you want) For your trouble of 252 EVs within two stats, you end up with an additional 63 points in that stat at level 100. So couple the EVs with IVs and a pokemon can have up to an additional 94 points in a given stat.

When people refer to the number next to the IV they are referring to the number of IVs that are at 31. (So if I have a 4IV pokemon that means that 4 of it's stats have maximum IVs) It is technically possible to have 6 IVs, but it's very unlikely. The most realistic one people aim for is 5 IV because when breeding, there is an item called a Destiny Knot which will pass 5 IVs down from either parent (2 from one, 3 from the other, or any variation thereof) so the reason why 5 IVs are the most realistic is because if you have parents with a few IVS each, it's possible to make (while holding the destiny know) those stats be passed down to the child, so a father with 2 IVs and another with 3 IVs can have a child that has all 5 of those IVs. The 6th tends to be the stat that is being lowered by nature, so people usually don't care about it.

The best way to keep track of EVs depends on hwo you're doing it. If by battling, the easiest is to write them down: Find out what pokemon that are appearing in the area you are battling in give what, only fight the pokemon that give you the EVs you want and run from the rest. Write down and keep track. If by super training, your job is MUCH easier, because unlike when battling, Super training doesn't allow you to go over the 252 EV limit. So if you want to max out two stats, jsut pick the ones you want to max, then keep super training in that stat and using the stat bags you get as a reward until it tells you that stat can't go any higher. Then go onto the next, max it out, then go to a third stat, get the final 6 EVs and you're done!

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    I was searching on the forum for my question but seems like i have to ask here

Is there a thread for Codes Battle Video sharing of this gen?
    I think it could be cool, so we can learn about the others, or just getting fun with some crazy battles right?

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    Basically any give pokemon at a given level has exactly the same stats as every other identical pokemon (so every Charmander has exactly the same stats as every other pokemon) what separates them is that when a pokemon is created, each of it's six stats is assigned an invisible bonus called an IV (or Individual value) and that number can be anywhere from 0 - 31 meaning that that stat has 31 extra points when it gets to level 100. IVs are generated when the pokemon is created (encountered or hatched) and cannot be changed. EVs (Effort Values) are awarded when you fight specific pokemon in the wild (Bunnelby will give you 1 EV for Speed every time you fight one, Scatterbug give you 1 IV for Defense every time you fight one and so on) and for every 4 EVs you earn, you get an invisible point in that stat. Like IVs, you don't see the full effect of the points until Level 100. You can get 255 EVs within two stats for a maximum of 510 EVs total for a pokemon. To maximize the efficiency, you should only give 252 EVs within 2 stats and the remaining 6 EVs to a third stat just so every point goes somewhere. (although you can distribute them however you want) For your trouble of 252 EVs within two stats, you end up with an additional 63 points in that stat at level 100. So couple the EVs with IVs and a pokemon can have up to an additional 94 points in a given stat.

When people refer to the number next to the IV they are referring to the number of IVs that are at 31. (So if I have a 4IV pokemon that means that 4 of it's stats have maximum IVs) It is technically possible to have 6 IVs, but it's very unlikely. The most realistic one people aim for is 5 IV because when breeding, there is an item called a Destiny Knot which will pass 5 IVs down from either parent (2 from one, 3 from the other, or any variation thereof) so the reason why 5 IVs are the most realistic is because if you have parents with a few IVS each, it's possible to make (while holding the destiny know) those stats be passed down to the child, so a father with 2 IVs and another with 3 IVs can have a child that has all 5 of those IVs. The 6th tends to be the stat that is being lowered by nature, so people usually don't care about it.

The best way to keep track of EVs depends on hwo you're doing it. If by battling, the easiest is to write them down: Find out what pokemon that are appearing in the area you are battling in give what, only fight the pokemon that give you the EVs you want and run from the rest. Write down and keep track. If by super training, your job is MUCH easier, because unlike when battling, Super training doesn't allow you to go over the 252 EV limit. So if you want to max out two stats, jsut pick the ones you want to max, then keep super training in that stat and using the stat bags you get as a reward until it tells you that stat can't go any higher. Then go onto the next, max it out, then go to a third stat, get the final 6 EVs and you're done!

Thank you.
    So, if I want to get this rigth, I need a chart for tracking hidden potential IV, and nature so i dont mix them togeather. breeding pedigry list so i can keep track of passed down stuff. Who to battle for EV, and where. Phew... Pokemon daycare should be called a kennel. XD.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Thank you.
    So, if I want to get this rigth, I need a chart for tracking hidden potential IV, and nature so i dont mix them togeather. breeding pedigry list so i can keep track of passed down stuff. Who to battle for EV, and where. Phew... Pokemon daycare should be called a kennel. XD.

Kinda. To make things easier, if you're EV training by battling, just run around in the grass wherever you want to do your EV training, find out what pokemon will appear commonly. look online, find out which of those pokemon give what, then just fight those pokemon while running from the rest.

Ofcourse to make things the easiest, simply Super Train in that section on the touch screen and you won't need to worry about battling AT ALL.

And as for keeping track of what's passed down through breeding, not necessarily. You should keep track of what's passed down while breeding, but just focus on one pokemon at a time and once you're done breeding a pokemon for IVs you can release all the ones you don't want anymore. On the summary screen for each pokemon there are 6 symbols under their portrait, if you are breeding, once you max out an IV just mark the symbols (First symbol for Hp, second symbol for Att and so on) that way at a glance you know exactly what pokemon have maxed IVs

here's a video with an easy way to breed for IVs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtLqTc8IaM

Oh yeah, and I wold suggest NOT breeding for IVs until your pokemon are at high enough levels that they won't be learning moves anymore (it varies, but generally between level 47 - 60 they usually stop learning moves naturally, but check your individual pokemon to be sure) the reason for this is that you don't have to breed pokemon with the same type of pokemon in order to have a baby, sometimes different (yet compatible) species can breed together. The baby will always be whatever breed the mother is, but the father can pass on moves it knows to the baby sometimes, meaning that the species the mother is can have babies knowing moves they could never normally know, BUT BECAUSE OF ALL THAT, when you put pokemon in the daycare centre, they keep gaining levels and If your pokemon learns a new move, an old move at the top of it's list gets erased, so if that is a move you wanted to pass onto a baby, once it forgets it, the baby won't learn it. So that's why I suggest breeding with parents that aren't going to learn any more new moves through level up.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    Has anyone seen Fairy show up in a Hidden Power yet?

I keep getting the same ones for my Pokemon:
    Fighting
    Ice
    Dragon
    Rock
    Grass
    Electric (once)
    Dark

Last edited:
    Years
    Has anyone seen Fairy show up in a Hidden Power yet?

According to Hidden Power's page on Bulbapedia, the IV mechanics for the move are the same as in previous generations so sadly a Fairy-type Hidden Power doesn't exist. The only change to the move is that its base power is now always 60.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    According to Hidden Power's page on Bulbapedia, the IV mechanics for the move are the same as in previous generations so sadly a Fairy-type Hidden Power doesn't exist. The only change to the move is that its base power is now always 60.
    Bummer :(

Something to look forward to for the next game, I suppose. It would really shake things up to see Hidden Power on pokes that normally wouldn't run it; Since Fairy-type is so strong right now.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    What are some good post-game training areas aside from the Elite Four and the Rival battle in Kiloude City? I'm having nightmares training Pokémon up to Level 50 without grinding the E4 over and over which is tedious at best.

Also, second question - is there a way to remove weather effects from a route, or should I just wait? Since on routes where it's raining you can't use Sweet Scent for horde training.

Thanks in advance! :D

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    What are some good post-game training areas aside from the Elite Four and the Rival battle in Kiloude City? I'm having nightmares training Pokémon up to Level 50 without grinding the E4 over and over which is tedious at best.

Also, second question - is there a way to remove weather effects from a route, or should I just wait? Since on routes where it's raining you can't use Sweet Scent for horde training.

Thanks in advance! :D

There's a couple of other good places to level grind:

1) The Battle Chateau. Thing is, you have to rank up if you wanna battle Trainers with Pokemon that are higher than level 20. But once you get to the Duke/Duchess or Grand Duke/Grand Duchess rank, there's enough decent level opponents (Writs help too). Another nice thing is that you can re-battle trainers in there once every hour.

2) Restaurant Le Wow in Lumiose. That+Rotation battles+Lucky Egg+Exp. Share+Exp Power=pretty good leveling.

Also, there is nothing you can do about the rain. You'll just have to wait it out. It's happened to me, too. Wanna go horde EV train, and it just happens to be raining.

Years
    Hello everyone! :)

I am trying to complete the Pokedex and I am trying to find a Bagon for like 1 hour now. Is it too rare or am I doing something wrong? It's on Route 8 right? Thank you :)

Years
    Hello everyone! :)

I am trying to complete the Pokedex and I am trying to find a Bagon for like 1 hour now. Is it too rare or am I doing something wrong? It's on Route 8 right? Thank you :)

Yes Bagon is found on Route 8 but it's extremely rare, so yeah be patient and you'll find one eventually. If I remember right it's the rarest of the Pokemon found on that route.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    I'm currently breeding Froakie's with the goal of getting a Froakie with 31/x/31/31/31/31 IVs.

I have one female Timid Protean Froakie with 31/x/31/31/31/x IVs and an Everstone breeding with a male Timid Torrent Froakie with 31/x/31/31/31/31 IVs and the Destiny Knot.

Since my goal is a Timid Protean Froakie with 31/x/31/31/31/31 IVs, am I doing this right? The eventual outcome will be a Froakie with the IVs I seek correct?

Last edited:

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    abilities are random, you can't really breed for it, as are IV's, so you're right, just gotta keep trying, could take some time

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back