• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What legendary pokemon CAN'T I ask for on the GTS? Obviously I could ask for ANYTHING, but I mean what legendaries are prevented from being traded on the GTS because of their ribbon? I assume it's Darkrai, Genesect, Victini, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy and Meloetta, ut are there any others I shouldn't bother asking for because they can't be traded?

And yes, obviously there could be hacked versions from previous gens, but if someone hacked a legendary, why would they be trading ont eh GTS when they could just make their own?

And also, there's no little legendary this gen is there? (Like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, etc) I just noticed that when looking up a list.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What legendary pokemon CAN'T I ask for on the GTS? Obviously I could ask for ANYTHING, but I mean what legendaries are prevented from being traded on the GTS because of their ribbon? I assume it's Darkrai, Genesect, Victini, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy and Meloetta, ut are there any others I shouldn't bother asking for because they can't be traded?

And yes, obviously there could be hacked versions from previous gens, but if someone hacked a legendary, why would they be trading ont eh GTS when they could just make their own?

And also, there's no little legendary this gen is there? (Like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, etc) I just noticed that when looking up a list.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2014
    What your friend is talking about is known as the Masuda Method. And its as simple as that. Breeding with a foreign Pokemon increases the chance of a shiny being hatched. The Shiny Charm also helps, but that takes a bit of work to get.

I've seen the Masuda Method being mentioned on the forum, I wondered what it was! I will continue to breed my French Spritzee :)

Also, if you have a shiny Pokemon and you evolve it, will it remain shiny in its evolved form?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Also, if you have a shiny Pokemon and you evolve it, will it remain shiny in its evolved form?

Yes, it will stay shiny when it evolves. Good thing too. It'd be really annoying to go through all the trouble of breeding a shiny, then have it be un-shiny when it evolves.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Why does the Masuda method work? Similar to my confusion about how chaining should increase shiny chances, I don't understand how using a foreign Pokemon would increase the chances for a shiny. Is there an actual, mathematical explanation for this?

Thanks.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
    Years
  • Hmmm.... Well, if you are asking if the Masuda Method DOES work, I am pretty sure it does, because I got a shiny after only 90 eggs. For WHY it works, I heard that they implemented the Method to promote the GTS, so more people would use it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Hmmm.... Well, if you are asking if the Masuda Method DOES work, I am pretty sure it does, because I got a shiny after only 90 eggs. For WHY it works, I heard that they implemented the Method to promote the GTS, so more people would use it.

I'm asking HOW it works, like the actual process behind it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Why does the Masuda method work? Similar to my confusion about how chaining should increase shiny chances, I don't understand how using a foreign Pokemon would increase the chances for a shiny. Is there an actual, mathematical explanation for this?

Thanks.

You're being too literal. Basically, the game designers simply decided "Hey, when the gamer puts pokemon from different regions into their game, let's increase the chance that the baby will be shiny. That will increase the desire for people to trade with people from other countries." And chaining DOESN'T increase shiny chances, using the Pokeradar or Super Rod to chain increases the chances of a Shiny. Just coincidentally running into the same pokemon over and over doesn't increase the rate of being shiny, you have to actually use a specific item in order to make it happen.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    You're being too literal. Basically, the game designers simply decided "Hey, when the gamer puts pokemon from different regions into their game, let's increase the chance that the baby will be shiny. That will increase the desire for people to trade with people from other countries." And chaining DOESN'T increase shiny chances, using the Pokeradar or Super Rod to chain increases the chances of a Shiny. Just coincidentally running into the same pokemon over and over doesn't increase the rate of being shiny, you have to actually use a specific item in order to make it happen.

Ok, I didn't understand that it was a design decision. I thought it was some method that someone created because it just seemed to work. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2014
    I have so many Spritzees now through breeding for a shiny... what am I going to do with them all? lol (may put as many as I can in the GTS/Wonder Trade... seems a waste to release them all)

Years
  • Hello guys,

I am trying to ev train my pokemon, but it seems as a very long process without pokerus. I am fairly new gamer and don't really know how to find it. I read online that it would be best to simply ask for a pokemon with the virus in a forum.

Thanks in advance - my FD is 1134 - 8775 - 5034

Catch a box full of pkmn you don't want and wonder trade. You'll probably get multiple pkmn carrying the virus, but really if you don't plan on EV training a lot of different pkmn its not gonna be super helpful now with horses the process is pretty quick with power items. However the macho brace could use a little poker us to speed it up, and lastly if you plan on EV training in super training then don't worry about even getting the virus because it doesn't benefit EV's earned in super training. Hope that was helpful

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I have so many Spritzees now through breeding for a shiny... what am I going to do with them all? lol (may put as many as I can in the GTS/Wonder Trade... seems a waste to release them all)

Definitely use them as Wonder Trade fodder, many breeders are doing so. I've got many great Pokemon by WTing, including ones with perfect IVs and now even Bank Pokemon.

Just pointing out that consecutive fishing works with any rod I believe, I know at least I've been successful using the Good Rod to get shiny Clauncher and Staryu.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    The design makes sense, it encourages people to trade with those outside their own region.

Years
  • Is there a way to find out if someone is trading me a cloned pokemon? Just found out from my friend that he has been cloning pokemon to trade away. I know that cloned pokemon are considered legit since it is an exact copy of the original. However, I find such a method despicable and is a method for downright losers who do not appreciate the game at all (an irony that he calls himself a pokemon fan). I hope to spread this to everyone so that you do not trade your hard-bred pokemon for some cloned ones.

Hi! I thought your comment was a bit harsh. You need to let people do their own thing. If you don't like what a person does, you can just say " I do not do this / i do not appreciate this / I do not want to trade if you are trading a cloned pokemon". In this way you will be both polite and have said your opinions. To call someone a "Downright loser" for cloning is not something i appreciate. Please watch your language, and try to describe your feelings in a way that is more careful and think that someone might get hurt from what you are writing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    My Pinsir has the following move set:
    Swords dance
    Earthquake
    Quick Attack
    Close Combat

Is Close Combat the best option for a fighting move?

Swords dance
    Earthquake
    Quick Attack
    Close Combat

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Swords dance
    Earthquake
    Quick Attack
    Close Combat

It's really up to personal preference. The next best option is Brick Break (with 75 BP), and honestly I think the increase to 120 BP with Close Combat is worth the drop in Defenses it results in. Definitely choose Close Combat if you will be switching out to another team member after you use Heracross (which is what I would likely do) because that would clear the stat decreases. However, if you plan on setting up Heracross with Swords Dance and not switching it out you may want to consider Brick Break. Plus, if you Swords Dance enough the BP difference shouldn't make a huge difference (unless you plan on setting up Swords Dance for Close Combat that is).

So it basically depends on how you battle.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    \
    Swords dance
    Earthquake
    Quick Attack
    Close Combat

Close Combat is your best choice for fighting, but for Pinsir, a lot of people run Return, because it hits extremely hard with Aerialate. So if you can find a slot for that. I'd personally run only one, EQ or CC, since they give similar coverage.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
  • Hello guys,

I am trying to ev train my pokemon, but it seems as a very long process without pokerus. I am fairly new gamer and don't really know how to find it. I read online that it would be best to simply ask for a pokemon with the virus in a forum.

Thanks in advance - my FD is 1134 - 8775 - 5034

To be honest, might I recommend Super Training? It's the easiest, fastest way to fully EV train a Pokemon in Gen 6, in my opinion. Play a bunch of the mini-games, keep track of the EV's, and within a hour or two you can max out a Pokemon's EV's.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    But Quick Attack turns into STAB and Priority. And both EQ and CC served me well.
    I think I might stick with CC, thanks for the advice!

But Quick Attack turns into STAB and Priority. And both EQ and CC served me well.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    A lot of sets I've seen run Quick Attack and Return, but ultimately it's up to you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back