• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • - there's two types of attacks, physical and special. (Think of them like physical and magic) each attack in the summary screen either has a red and yellow star pattern next to the attack name, or a blue and white circle pattern next to the attack name. The red ones are Physical attacks, the blue ones are special attacks. Physical attacks derive tehir power from the Attack stat, Special attacks derive tehir power from the Special Attack Stat. To defend against these, Defense stats lessen the damage from physical attacks, Special Defense lessen the damage from Special Attacks

- To unlock the third position in the friend safari, that friend needs to have beaten the Elite 4. Once they have been online at least once at the same time as you, then the pokemon appearing in their friend safari can start getting their Hidden Abilities.

- To unlock lv 3 of any power you simply need to use it. You need to find the lv 1 of the O powers throughout teh game, but once you have it, jsut keep using it. The more you use it, eventually it will level up.

- Every pokemon of the same species (so every Raichu, every Darumaka, etc) all have the same stats as each other. IVs are hidden numbers ranging from 0 -31 that are randomly generated for each stat so at level 100 that stat could have up to 31 more points in that stat. Each pokemon gets different IVs the moment they are generated and that's what makes each one different. EVs are invisible points you give the pokemon either through battling or through super training. When you battle specific pokemon, they award you hidden points based on the pokemon (so every time you fight a Zigzagoon, you get 1 EV point in speed, every time you fight a Scatterbug you get 1 EV point in Defence and so on) for every 4 EV points you get in a stat, you get 1 actual stat point in that stat. (not right away, it gets put in between level 1 and 100) You can get a maximum of 510 EVs that you can distribute amongst whatever stats you want, however the best way is to generally max out just TWO stats, and give the remaing 6 points to a third stat. So basically if you put 252 EVs in two stats, by the time you get to level 100 you get up to 63 extra points in that stat. So the EVS couples with the IVs means you could potentially get a maximum of 94 extra points in a particular stat by level 100

Thank you Howmander. You are very helpful.

You have covered pretty much everything.

But I still have a few things to ask, if you don't mind.

What are these hidden abilities?

Are IV important and do they have any relation to nature?

Is nature really important?

Why does everyone want ditto safari?

I can reset my EV's, if possible?

I'm still quite confused about IV's, I apologize.

I appreciate your patience and in-depth answers. Thank you.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Thank you Howmander. You are very helpful.

You have covered pretty much everything.

But I still have a few things to ask, if you don't mind.

What are these hidden abilities?

Are IV important and do they have any relation to nature?

Is nature really important?

Why does everyone want ditto safari?

I can reset my EV's, if possible?

I'm still quite confused about IV's, I apologize.

I appreciate your patience and in-depth answers. Thank you.

- When you get a Froakie at the beginning of the game, for example, in it's status screen it will have the ability "Torrent" which, when your HP bar gets low enough to turn red will cause your water moves to increase in power by 50%. However, if you find a Frogadier in the Safari Zone, sometimes it will have a hidden ability, so INSTEAD of having Torrent, it will instead have Protean. What happens here is that every time you use a move, Froakie will become a pure type of whatever move it is using (so in battle, Froakie could become psychic, Rock, Water, Dark, Normal, basically whatever type you use) which can be very beneficial defensively. However, since it has Protean it can't have Torrent, so when it's HP get red, it gets no additional boost to it's water type moves beyond the regular usage. Many pokemon have hidden abilities and most can only be gotten from the Safari Zone. The rest are given to you from in game trades by other people who have pokemon with hidden abilities, or from special event give aways or even sometimes, rarely, from hoard battles that happen all throughout Kalos. However, unless it has an in battle effect, you may not know which of the horde have it so it may not be that reliable. Sometimes the hidden abilites are immensely useful, sometimes they're absolute garbage, and sometimes a pokemon has no hidden ability at all.

- IVs are important if you want those extra 31 points in a given stat, which can be pretty necessary if you are battling some tough trainers. They're not SO important that you can't enjoy the game without them though. On your initial playthrough I honestly wouldn't even worry about them. EVs on teh other hand, since you can see them in the Super Training Screen and can be reset there as well, there's nothing wrong with messing around with those because they'll help you understand the role of IVs in the long run, as they're essentially the same thing. It's just that IVs are the uncontrolled invisible numbers while EVs are the controllable invisible numbers. They do the same thing though.

- Nature CAN be really important, but again not SO vital that you can't enjoy the game without them. There are (I think) 25 natures, and 20 of them will raise one stat by 20% while lowering another stat 20% (I think that's the percentage) while 5 natures are neutral and neither increase nor hinder any stats at all. This might sound bad, but some pokemon it's perfectly fine. Froakie, for example, has a very high Sp Att and Speed, and a lower Att, so what you could want there is a Modest nature which will raise it Sp Att stat by 20% but lower the Att stat by 20%. And if you only have special attacks and no physical attacks, this is perfectly fine because you will never use the Att stat so it doesn't matter how low they are.

- Everyone wants Ditto Safari for two reasons: because when you start breeding pokemon, you CAN put two different species of pokemon together and produce an egg, but you need to know which types of pokemon are compatible with each other. A ditto can be put in daycare with ANY pokemon except for Legendary, Unowns and other Dittos and it will always breed a baby. The exception to the legendary rule is that a Manaphy can be bred with a ditto to make a Phione. Ditto cannot breed unowns or other Dittos however. The second reason is that every pokemon from the Safari Zone ahs at least two IVs of 31, and when you breed a Ditto with another pokemon and at least one of them holding an item called a Destiny Knot will pass down 5 IVs from both parents in any mixture. And the IVs that gets passed down might very well be the 31 IVs teh Ditto has. (it can take a long time though!)

- EVs can be reset a couple ways. In super training once you started a few super training sessions, you will get bags that you can use in Super Training and every time you tap the screen the pokemon you're training hits the bag until the effect of the bag gets used. (to raise one of your stats or to give you an ability during super training, etc) now, if you aren't using a bag, the bag will be blank so you can hit the bag by tapping the screen and you can get any of the bags randomly. One of these rare bags is called a Reset bag, which resets ALL your EVs to 0. so that's a drastic step, but will help if you messed up bad. The other way is that there are rare berries you can find or grow that will reduce one stat of their EVs by only a small amount, so if you only made a little mistake you can reverse it. I have not used the berry method so I don't know which ones they are or where to get them. I tend to just reset everything and start from scratch.

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    Here is a brain twister,
    I had a swinub traded to me, it evolved to a piloswine as i expectred, after lvl 34 i tougth it the Hidden power and been trying to level it bouth at the battle lodge near the daycare and with rare candy. But its now at lvl48 and nothing happens, its not holding any items. Did something happen to the evoling from last gen to this?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Here is a brain twister,
    I had a swinub traded to me, it evolved to a piloswine as i expectred, after lvl 34 i tougth it the Hidden power and been trying to level it bouth at the battle lodge near the daycare and with rare candy. But its now at lvl48 and nothing happens, its not holding any items. Did something happen to the evoling from last gen to this?

it won't evolve if it doesn't have the move Ancient Power. =/
    https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/221.shtml

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • - Nature CAN be really important, but again not SO vital that you can't enjoy the game without them. There are (I think) 25 natures, and 20 of them will raise one stat by 20% while lowering another stat 20% (I think that's the percentage) while 5 natures are neutral and neither increase nor hinder any stats at all.

Natures are actually only 10%, but for example, a Scizor at lv 100 with a positive attack nature with have a total of 394 attack, while if it was a neutral attack nature, it would be 359, as you can see, that's a giant 35 points difference.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Here is a brain twister,

it won't evolve if it doesn't have the move Ancient Power. =/
    https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/221.shtml

In order to teach Mamoswine Ancient Power, head over to the Move Relearner in Dendemille Town. She should be located in one of the houses near Pokémon Center. Before you go there though, don't forget to make sure that you have Heart Scales. If you don't have any, then fish for Luvdisc with Old Rod in either Route 8 or 12 (or any other places that have them) and snatch it from them by using Theif. If you like, you may catch them as well. d:

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Natures are actually only 10%, but for example, a Scizor at lv 100 with a positive attack nature with have a total of 394 attack, while if it was a neutral attack nature, it would be 359, as you can see, that's a giant 35 points difference.

Ah thanks for clarifying the percentage

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    In order to teach Mamoswine Ancient Power, head over to the Move Relearner in Dendemille Town. She should be located in one of the houses near Pokémon Center. Before you go there though, don't forget to make sure that you have Heart Scales. If you don't have any, then fish for Luvdisc with Old Rod in either Route 8 or 12 (or any other places that have them) and snatch it from them by using Theif. If you like, you may catch them as well. d:

Ah, I see what I did wrong now. XD Thank you.

jollyninetails

Emperor of Scandinavia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    Id have to guess,I dont know. But it seems logical. Yes? Perhaps the lack of answer is that no one knows?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Id have to guess,I dont know. But it seems logical. Yes? Perhaps the lack of answer is that no one knows?

I would try but I already activated the event in my copy, so I'd like to know that, if I erased my file and started over, I could get the Torchic again. If I can't, I won't restart. Maybe no one has tried to do it...

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    It worked with Victini back in B and W.
    Do you have a friend who could hold onto Torchic?
    After you start a new game ask him to give it back to you.

It worked with Victini back in B and W.
    Do you have a friend who could hold onto Torchic?
    After you start a new game ask him to give it back to you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2014
    Is there anywhere on this forum where pokebank is being discussed? I understand that it has been pulled back.........when it is re-released, I guess one buys it on nintendo e-shop? Does the E-shop have you put in your debit/credit card information when making a purchase (I've never used it before)? It seems like it would be good to have some insurance in case you lose your 3DS or something along those lines.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Is there anywhere on this forum where pokebank is being discussed?

Yes, the thread for discussing Bank is right here. :]

Thanks to the person who answered my last question. I HAVE ANOTHER. What are the chances of passing down a hidden ability? I have a male Protean Froakie, but it's got the wrong nature and I want to breed it to get a better one. If I just breed it with a Ditto, will the offspring have Protean or the normal ability?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Is there anywhere on this forum where pokebank is being discussed? I understand that it has been pulled back.........when it is re-released, I guess one buys it on nintendo e-shop? Does the E-shop have you put in your debit/credit card information when making a purchase (I've never used it before)? It seems like it would be good to have some insurance in case you lose your 3DS or something along those lines.

Yes, its right here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=313181
    It's getting to be a bit long.

And yes, you have to buy it through the eShop. It'll ask for credit card/debit card info, since you can't send cash or checks through your 3DS. You could also pay with a Nintendo eshop card.

Thanks to the person who answered my last question. I HAVE ANOTHER. What are the chances of passing down a hidden ability? I have a male Protean Froakie, but it's got the wrong nature and I want to breed it to get a better one. If I just breed it with a Ditto, will the offspring have Protean or the normal ability?

The chances of a male passing down the Hidden Ability when breeding with Ditto is either 20% or 40%, I don't remember which.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    If I restart the game before the 15th of January, can I still get the Mystery Gift Torchic?

Yes.

I restarted not too far into the game from not liking my starter. Transferred everything to a family members game, restarted and was able to get another Torchic.

Years
  • - When you get a Froakie at the beginning of the game, for example, in it's status screen it will have the ability "Torrent" which, when your HP bar gets low enough to turn red will cause your water moves to increase in power by 50%. However, if you find a Frogadier in the Safari Zone, sometimes it will have a hidden ability, so INSTEAD of having Torrent, it will instead have Protean. What happens here is that every time you use a move, Froakie will become a pure type of whatever move it is using (so in battle, Froakie could become psychic, Rock, Water, Dark, Normal, basically whatever type you use) which can be very beneficial defensively. However, since it has Protean it can't have Torrent, so when it's HP get red, it gets no additional boost to it's water type moves beyond the regular usage. Many pokemon have hidden abilities and most can only be gotten from the Safari Zone. The rest are given to you from in game trades by other people who have pokemon with hidden abilities, or from special event give aways or even sometimes, rarely, from hoard battles that happen all throughout Kalos. However, unless it has an in battle effect, you may not know which of the horde have it so it may not be that reliable. Sometimes the hidden abilites are immensely useful, sometimes they're absolute garbage, and sometimes a pokemon has no hidden ability at all.

- IVs are important if you want those extra 31 points in a given stat, which can be pretty necessary if you are battling some tough trainers. They're not SO important that you can't enjoy the game without them though. On your initial playthrough I honestly wouldn't even worry about them. EVs on teh other hand, since you can see them in the Super Training Screen and can be reset there as well, there's nothing wrong with messing around with those because they'll help you understand the role of IVs in the long run, as they're essentially the same thing. It's just that IVs are the uncontrolled invisible numbers while EVs are the controllable invisible numbers. They do the same thing though.

- Nature CAN be really important, but again not SO vital that you can't enjoy the game without them. There are (I think) 25 natures, and 20 of them will raise one stat by 20% while lowering another stat 20% (I think that's the percentage) while 5 natures are neutral and neither increase nor hinder any stats at all. This might sound bad, but some pokemon it's perfectly fine. Froakie, for example, has a very high Sp Att and Speed, and a lower Att, so what you could want there is a Modest nature which will raise it Sp Att stat by 20% but lower the Att stat by 20%. And if you only have special attacks and no physical attacks, this is perfectly fine because you will never use the Att stat so it doesn't matter how low they are.

- Everyone wants Ditto Safari for two reasons: because when you start breeding pokemon, you CAN put two different species of pokemon together and produce an egg, but you need to know which types of pokemon are compatible with each other. A ditto can be put in daycare with ANY pokemon except for Legendary, Unowns and other Dittos and it will always breed a baby. The exception to the legendary rule is that a Manaphy can be bred with a ditto to make a Phione. Ditto cannot breed unowns or other Dittos however. The second reason is that every pokemon from the Safari Zone ahs at least two IVs of 31, and when you breed a Ditto with another pokemon and at least one of them holding an item called a Destiny Knot will pass down 5 IVs from both parents in any mixture. And the IVs that gets passed down might very well be the 31 IVs teh Ditto has. (it can take a long time though!)

- EVs can be reset a couple ways. In super training once you started a few super training sessions, you will get bags that you can use in Super Training and every time you tap the screen the pokemon you're training hits the bag until the effect of the bag gets used. (to raise one of your stats or to give you an ability during super training, etc) now, if you aren't using a bag, the bag will be blank so you can hit the bag by tapping the screen and you can get any of the bags randomly. One of these rare bags is called a Reset bag, which resets ALL your EVs to 0. so that's a drastic step, but will help if you messed up bad. The other way is that there are rare berries you can find or grow that will reduce one stat of their EVs by only a small amount, so if you only made a little mistake you can reverse it. I have not used the berry method so I don't know which ones they are or where to get them. I tend to just reset everything and start from scratch.

Howmander, thank you all so much. You are extremely helpful.

I'm grateful for your shared knowledge.

You have explained everything so clearly, I finally understand what everything means.

EVs and IVs make a lot of sense to me now. Thank you!

Howmander, I still have two questions:

Why does a trainer want to use the move 'hidden power'?

Is there only ONE hidden ability , or more?

Thanks once again!

**Off-topic**

How do you add a title under your username, like I see others have throughout this forum?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Howmander, thank you all so much. You are extremely helpful.

I'm grateful for your shared knowledge.

You have explained everything so clearly, I finally understand what everything means.

EVs and IVs make a lot of sense to me now. Thank you!

Howmander, I still have two questions:

Why does a trainer want to use the move 'hidden power'?

Is there only ONE hidden ability , or more?

Thanks once again!

**Off-topic**

How do you add a title under your username, like I see others have throughout this forum?

1) Hidden Power can be useful because it may let a Pokemon use an attack of a type it can't normally learn. For example, Chandelure doesn't learn any Fighting type attacks, but would really like to have a Fighting type attack so it can deal with Dark types. Hidden Power makes it possible for Chandelure to have that Fighting type attack. Thing is, a Pokemon's Hidden Power type is based on the IVs it has.

2) Evey Pokemon that has a Hidden Ability only has one Hidden Ability.

3) To add a title, go to your Control Panel and click "edit your details". The thing for entering a title is the first or second thing on the list. Once you've put in the title you want, scroll to the end and click "save changes".

Years
  • 1) Hidden Power can be useful because it may let a Pokemon use an attack of a type it can't normally learn. For example, Chandelure doesn't learn any Fighting type attacks, but would really like to have a Fighting type attack so it can deal with Dark types. Hidden Power makes it possible for Chandelure to have that Fighting type attack. Thing is, a Pokemon's Hidden Power type is based on the IVs it has.

2) Evey Pokemon that has a Hidden Ability only has one Hidden Ability.

3) To add a title, go to your Control Panel and click "edit your details". The thing for entering a title is the first or second thing on the list. Once you've put in the title you want, scroll to the end and click "save changes".

Thank you Zekrom. All my questions have been fulfilled.

This community is very helpful and active. I like that very much.

Now, my true Pokémon journey begins!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back