• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow=Red and Blue?

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    Hey guys,
    So far all the ROMs I have on my PC are from games I own a hard copy of, and I'm eyeing some nice Red and Blue ROM hacks.
    Problem is, I don't own a copy of Red or Blue.
    I do, however, own Pokemonn Yellow, and I was wondering If you all think that its alright to download the ROMs for Red and Blue because I own Yellow.
    Thanks in advance,
    Favio101

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    It's still illegal. :P It would be best to keep this quiet if you know what I mean.

Ciaran

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Just do it, but y'know.. lower down when your downloading stuff like that ;D

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    yeah, im the same way. i dont like to download roms of games i dont have, only when a trial them. When there good i buy them, if not i delete the rom. but, i think its ok for this then

FlameShocker

C++/ASM Programmer
    Years
  • I recommend buying a hardcopy of both Red and Blue (for example, on eBay or at GameStop) and then download the ROM's. It's likely that all you'll find anywhere are used ones; (I think) it's still legal to download the ROM's, even if the cartridges don't work.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • It's illegal to download ROMs, full stop. It's a common misconception that you're allowed to download stuff you already have; you're not. The only way you can legally obtain a ROM is if you dump it from a cartridge you own.

that said, does it honestly matter? This entire section is of people who are playing ROMs. Pulling a statistic out of the air, I'd say 90%+ of them don't use legal ROMs. It doesn't really matter.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • It's illegal to download ROMs, full stop. It's a common misconception that you're allowed to download stuff you already have; you're not. The only way you can legally obtain a ROM is if you dump it from a cartridge you own.

that said, does it honestly matter? This entire section is of people who are playing ROMs. Pulling a statistic out of the air, I'd say 90%+ of them don't use legal ROMs. It doesn't really matter.

uhhmm, that's basically what he ment. I think he was saying he only wants to download roms which he has the cartridges to so that is appears he dumped it, lol !!! But that was still stupid to mention here, and yes downloading ROMs is illegal, but unless someone else in your house comitted a crime, ii doubt that whoever monitors this is gonna check up on you of all other illegal thingy downloaders. I don't bother thinking about this at all, and in my opinion, neither should you, enough said.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Actually, I'm sure alot of people know that downloading commercial games is not OK? Well, I've figured out something very interesting. I'm sure alot of people know the purpose of how a normal video game store makes money out of the products we buy from there, however... stocks aren't unlimited y'know. So in order to get new video game stocks in, they order it from the factory. But after a while you may find that the company that manufactures the games actually does something called 'phasing out the older games', when this happens, the games are totally discontinued and can only be available in second-hand or places where they sell used games. When the game is discontinued, the company that manufactures the game cannot make any more money out of it, so therefore... only if they do something like making a virtual console for the games. The thing is, the second hand places put a price based on the originallity look of the game, it has a more value when it's in it's box or whatever it's in. But that said, the actual ROMs of old commercial games don't really seem to have a price on it if the actual company isn't making it anymore. It's only the ROMs new games that are still having new deliveries in the game stores that you really have to be careful about, because the company is still making money on that delivery ordering, which the game store does indeed pay for the delivery, then the new games arrives into the store, the store sets the same price for each of the games at the same price as what they got it through delivery, then the consumers buy the new games, the game store notifies the gaming company (like Nintendo ect.) of how many consumers bought the game, and cycle repeats over and over again until the gaming company decides to discontinue manufacturing the actual game. And that's where the ROM sites come in handy.

But unfortunately, since the PokéCommunity cannot allow links to ROMs of commercial games, we aren't allowed to post them (and I mean any of them). And I'm terribly sorry, but I'm afraid you're on your own for looking for Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue ROMs, just a simple search on Google will get the ROM you are looking for. Just don't give up looking for it, because it is out there somewhere. ;D

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Rule of thumb, if you want karma points, buy the game, and then rom it. So you give the developer of the game money.

But it only works for games you buy at retail.

Buying it from ebay and second hand stores doesn't give nintendo any money.
    So to nintendo, theres no difference from you getting a ROM or getting a second hand copy of the game- they see no money out of it. (main reason i dislike gamestop)

Nintendo doesn't manufucture games like red/blue anymore. So you can't find it new anywhere. The only person you're gonna be giving money to is the guy selling it. The people who worked hard making that game see no money out of it.

--
    So you're in a loose loose situation.

(one workaround would be to buy a new nintendo game. That way nintendo still gets money.)

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    I'd say that if you're going to download it, you should at least own a copy of the cartridge. I personally feel that it's unethical to download a game if you don't at least pay for a copy of it at some point. Either way it's illegal to download, though. The ideal legal and ethical situation is to buy the game and perform a dump of the data yourself. But all you can do is whatever you think is ethically correct and let the chips fall where they may.

But as has been said already, Nintendo won't get the cash for an old game. If you hate gamestop (as you should--they're EVIL) then I for one will be looking the other way.

Back