• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Yes Means Yes" Law In The Works (Grouplove, WuMo, Dr. Bees) [Daily Bloggity Entry #147]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • [css-div="background-color: #C0C0C0 ; border-style: solid; border-color: #000000"]
    consent.png
    Date: 14 August 2014
    Time: 10:35 AM ET
    Mood: Relaxed

For years now sexual assault has been no mystery. It's a much prevalent and realistic unfortunate crime that has been hitting the news ranging from domestic incidences to kidnapping on the streets to colleges parties gone awry. As such, campaigns have been constantly made enforcing the "no means no" mentality where consent between parties need to be verbally made in an effort to keep such occurrences from happening. However, California is currently in the works of passing a first-in-the-country law that mandates a "yes means yes" standard for colleges.

Daily Music - "I'm With You" by Grouplove
    Spoiler:
    The details of the law in the works looks to enforce this policy to any college in the state of California that receives public funds. Furthermore, it's looking for all California states to establish an "affirmative consent standard" that can be aligned and looked at with sexual assault allegations. It's been established that silence, a lack of resistance, and being drunk, drugged, asleep, or unconscious does not constitute consent, but approved examples can include a simple nod of the head or a member of the party moving in closer to their partner. All and all it's an effort being made in place to firmly distinguish between when consent is actually being given and when it is not.

Daily Comic - "Robots" by Wulff and Morgenthaler of WuMo
    Spoiler:
    The law in question is understandably so getting mixed reactions from the public. As one newspaper points out, ""It seems extremely difficult and extraordinarily intrusive to micromanage sex so closely as to tell young people what steps they must take in the privacy of their own dorm rooms." It will more over create some people feel a lot more cautious when it comes to whether or not the person is consenting or not, but at the same time will allow patrons to have a stricter interpretation/definition of rape. As John F. Banzhaf III, a George Washington University's Law School professor pointed out "the legal definition of rape in most states means the perpetrator used force or the threat of force against the victim, but the California legislation could set the stage in which both parties could accuse each other of sexual assault."

Daily Video - "DR. BEES" by animator Harry Partridge
    Spoiler:
    By today's records, 1 out of every 5 female college students has become a victim of sexual assault. However, with the possible passing of this bill, California is looking to reduce those numbers. What is your opinion on this new bill? Do you think it can work? Or do you think it will just create more confusion when it comes to consent? Do you think California has a right to micromanage sexual activity? Comment below with your thoughts and opinions and as I'd love to discuss it with you!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- Dracul

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

[/css-div]

Back