• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[YGO] Card Suggestions for Deck-out Deck?

Dark Symphonia

GENERATION V!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2012
    Anyone here has suggestions on cards and strategies that make a good Deck-out deck?

I was thinking of Morphing Jar, then using Book of Moon to flip it back face down to activate its effects again.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Sangan
    Giant Rat
    Morphing Jar
    Book of Moon
    Book of Taiyou
    Book of Eclipse
    Desert Sunlight
    A Feather of the Phoenix
    Hand Destruction
    Dark World Dealings
    Card Destruction
    The Shallow Grave

I've run some great successes using just those cards, including FTKs and consistent OTKs. Just try to get Morphing Jar on the field as soon as possible. Set your Books of Taiyou and chain your Moons / Eclipses to Morphing Jar's effect. You'll keep replenishing your hand for more fun while your opponent suffers.

Alternatively, you could run the Shien's Spy variant. You use the same Morphing Jar, but you also use Shien's Spy to swap it to your opponent's side of the Field. Then you use Swords of Concealing Light, Swords of Revealing Light, Dark-Piercing Light along with the same cards listed above.

Cards to get Morphing Jar out are Sangan and Giant Rat... Though you could try Foolish Burial, Rock Bombardment, etc.

One obvious caveat, however: if your opponent somehow gets rid of Morphing Jar, you're screwed!

Last edited:

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    I would not advise playing Giant Rat, because that makes it extremely easy for your opponent to kill your Morphing Jar, say, main phase two or something. A much better alternative is Deep Diver, because it allows you to place Morphing Jar on top of your deck; essentially if you draw Morphing Jar you are able to kill your opponent extremely easily.

Centerpiece of the deck is obviously Morphing Jar.

Cards you could use:

Turbo -
    Dark World Dealings
    Upstart Goblin
    Pot of Duality
    Magical Mallet
    Card Destruction

Fetch -
    Sangan
    Deep Diver

Flipping -
    A/D Changer
    Book of Taiyou
    Book of Moon
    Book of Eclipse

Recycling -
    A Feather of the Phoenix
    Magical Stone Excavation

OTK COMBO MAKER -
    GIANT TRUNADE (this is HUGELY important, stops Warning plays and so on)

Run some defenses like a couple Battle Faders or Swift Scarecrows.

Cirrus

Years
    Needle Worm, sir, is inefficient and makes for a bad draw because you're wasting your card on a card that doesn't replenish your hand (while Morphing Jar DOES so it is the superior choice).

Years
    Cirrus pretty much has the concept down. A couple of YCS tournaments back, and one of these "Empty Jar" decks placed third, so it does have big potential. Apart from that success though, there haven't really been any others.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Didn't the empty jar tourney date like 2-3 years ago by now. Sadly over the years, the game got to be much faster with more damaging monsters and much more special summons... I am not sure if empty jar really suffice outside of for-fun-only locals (and of course with friends too.)

Cirrus

Years
    The guy was very good at playing the deck.

The deck requires a large modicum of skill to play well, as well as familiarity with the deck and the metagame.

Years
    Alright, I grabbed his tournament report from the awesomeness that is Duelist Groundz.

Spoiler:

Needless to say, Duelist Groundz destroyed him.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Oh, to note. I've also had success using Magical Stone Excavation in this deck since Morphing Jar gives you so much hand power.

Cirrus

Years
    Mhm.

I believe I mentioned it; it's excellent for recycling a variety of cards (whatever Spell card you would need - either type of the books or a Trunade).

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Oh fwoops. Yup. I've actually used it to fetch Card Destruction to great effect too.

A Feather Of The Phoenix is definitely the best retrieval card in the deck though, so x3 on it. I played Empty Jar before Pot Of Duality came out, but doubtless that combos pretty well with Feather, only you get -1 on deck count if you use it to quick draw.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    really i ran a mill deck before book was limited needle worm x 3 + book of eclipse equals 15 cards lost. i also ran stuff like defender with gravity bind to restrict attacks. Morphing jar #2 was also useful.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    really i ran a mill deck before book was limited needle worm x 3 + book of eclipse equals 15 cards lost. i also ran stuff like defender with gravity bind to restrict attacks. Morphing jar #2 was also useful.

Not fast enough anymore.
    If it can't OTK, it can't win :P

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Not fast enough anymore.
    If it can't OTK, it can't win :P

As a mill fan, that's a sad and unfortunate truth. The yugioh format runs way too quickly, and, like Gymnotide said, it has to be able to OTK. This is especially true with Yugioh mill because:
    A) Yugioh has less mill in general due to a smaller deck size
    B) A majority of its mill is after-damage mill
    C) Mill doesn't create as much urgency as LP damage does until their deck is really small
    D) Most of the top-tier decks can generally kill you within 3 turns against a "one set per turn" deck due to swarming capabilities
    E) Mill is generally a mid-to-late game deck whereas many Yugioh decks focus on the early game

or something. Haven't been to a yugioh tournament in forever.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    As a mill fan, that's a sad and unfortunate truth. The yugioh format runs way too quickly, and, like Gymnotide said, it has to be able to OTK. This is especially true with Yugioh mill because:
    C) Mill doesn't create as much urgency as LP damage does until their deck is really small
    D) Most of the top-tier decks can generally kill you within 3 turns against a "one set per turn" deck due to swarming capabilities
    E) Mill is generally a mid-to-late game deck whereas many Yugioh decks focus on the early game

Also because a lot of decks run from the Graveyard (and the Graveyard is an easier place to pull cards from than the Deck), so as you mill your foe, they get stronger. If you can't finish them off, they'll become too strong to defeat! D:

Cirrus

Years

Your hypothesis is pretty much correct, though I'd like to add a few things. It's mainly because mill is not very popular as a decktype, I think (solitaire deck, basically, and therefore unfun card design - as opposed to MtG where grave-to-deck-then-shuffle effects are common because the effect is being granted by powerful cards anyway or whatever). Mill never really received a lot of card design space in YGO, and though there are some new cards (Warm Worm for example) that support Mill it is generally undersupported as a deck as a whole.

C) and D) are very, very true - this is why mill decks don't do well. You can be OTK'd in a matter of seconds, especially because your deck is based on milling and not affecting the field very much. You can't defend yourself against the powerful decks and therefore you die.

E) - well, not precisely. It's because mill decks expend cards without gaining any discernible advantage in return; thus you lose cards while your opponent doesn't see deterioration in card quality because distribution of cards is uniform and you might even unwittingly help your opponent by sending cards he/she wants in the Graveyard to that place.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    Also you have to remember that most decks that run alot of graveyard effects mill themselves so if you add the the mill you can run a deck really thin very quickly, although that does not garentee you will win, remember that you don't lose until you can't draw anymore cards or your life points run out. So forced draws aren't always a bad thing.

Cirrus

Years
    : f

Basically what I said.

Do note: decks that run Graveyard effects usually have a large monster count in the Graveyard as well (due to either milling or repeated Synchroing) so they can self un-mill by playing Pot of Avarice. Either way, however - your lack of field control / defenses will leave you dead without being able to reliably OTK your opponent (very important).

Back