• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[YGO] Fusion vs Synchro

Fusion or Synchro

• Fusion

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Synchro

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    Yesterday I got "Yu-gi-oh! 5Ds: Over the Nexus" and I was totally lost...
    There were thousands of new cards and a new type of summoning called "Synchro summoning" (wudda hell). Soon I learned that Synchro monsters are easy to bring out (Lv 4 Tuner + Scapegoat! My favourite) and most of them have awesome effects.
    Fusion is amazing and in my "Spirit Caller" game I've run an Elemental Hero deck and made the transition to Cyber Dragons a few days ago. They're really awesome, but they can easily be countered. An E-Hero deck can be countered simply with a "blablapolymerization (forgot the name)" or "de-fusion" or mostly anything. Most decks with rely on Fusion could crumble to the ground with a good deck to counter them.
    So, what's your opinion on them?

Years
    I would argue that Syncros are so much easier to get out, since they don't rely on other cards, except just monster cards. Obviously, there are exceptions to the fusion rule, but I prefer syncs as I just can get them going much easier than a fusion based deck like glads.

Also, lol at you coming back now. It is crazy isn't it! I quit for 3 years and went back to it about 7 months ago now so! XDDDD
    Also, check out exceeds! New card from!​

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I always thought Synchro and XYZ were kind of dumb. Maybe good in gameplay terms, but bad concept-wise. I don't really care much for them.

XYZ is pronounced ek-seez lol not exceed :P

Years
    Future Fusion and Instant Fusion allow for easy Fusion Summons in fairness. But yeah, Synchros are generally superior to fusions. Most of them have non specific requirements so you can pick the right tool for the job when Synchro Summoning too.

Years
    I always thought Synchro and XYZ were kind of dumb. Maybe good in gameplay terms, but bad concept-wise. I don't really care much for them.

XYZ is pronounced ek-seez lol not exceed :P

They really aren't dumb considering the now win games! XDD
    And I say exceeds so oh well. I am northern, it is my culture to mispronounce things.​

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
    Inb4 someone says XYZs are better than fusions AND synchros =o ! I've got to go with Synchros, they've changed the game so much and fusions are now only used for GB decks,E-heros,Dragons and Instant fusion fodder for some decks like Karakuri and synchro decks. Fusions haven't made a huge impact on the last current formats, only during the Cyber stien era did fusions reign sumpreme. Synchros have dominated formats such as "Tele-Dad", "Synchro Cat", "Zombie Synchros" and Plants did dominate the meta game hugley until Rabbit.dek came along. Majority of fusion monsters are just a tool of getting out XYZs or Synchros. In Drakow's case, it's more like future fusion and the fusion monster are a tool which allows him to dump 5 dragons from the deck to grave and then bring out REDMD and then do all this dragon specialing shannigans. Then if you're not dead already, Five headed dragon says "I'm BALLIN'".

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I prefer Synchros just because they can fit into multiple decks whereas fusion monsters require specific cards. Although I do love playing Omni-Hero decks with Super Polymerization.

Future Fusion and Instant Fusion allow for easy Fusion Summons in fairness. But yeah, Synchros are generally superior to fusions. Most of them have non specific requirements so you can pick the right tool for the job when Synchro Summoning too.

Those aren't the most useful cards since Instant Fusion is going to kill the monster and Future Fusion normally gets destroyed before the two turns are up.

Years
    Those aren't the most useful cards since Instant Fusion is going to kill the monster and Future Fusion normally gets destroyed before the two turns are up.

Actually, barring Contact Fusion, those are the two most used ways of Fusion Summoning in competitive play. Admittedly Instant Fusion is often used to set up Synchro or Xyz plays like Renpuu mentioned and it is often the case that Future Fusion is used to dump useful monsters into the graveyard rather than trying to bring out a Fusion monster itself.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    Drakow, you forgot Miracle Fusion (getting stuff from the Graveyard) and Parallel World Fusion (less common but playable, getting stuff from the RFG). But yeah that's about it. Synchro Monsters are decidedly more versatile and powerful, so I'd have to go with those.

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    Drakow, you forgot Miracle Fusion (getting stuff from the Graveyard) and
    Parallel World Fusion (less common but playable, getting stuff from the
    RFG).

Miracle Fusion can only be used with Elemental Heroes and will also remove those monsters from play. Though if you bring out Erikshield (or something) you can get them back and fusion them all over again, but if fusion monsters are destroyed your whole strategy will come crumbling down.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Miracle Fusion can only be used with Elemental Heroes and will also remove those monsters from play. Though if you bring out Erikshield (or something) you can get them back and fusion them all over again, but if fusion monsters are destroyed your whole strategy will come crumbling down.

No.

The plan is to Fusion Summon--you've done that. The ability to fusion again might be nice, but it's not necessary by any means.

Cirrus

Years
    Why would you want to play Electrum? Miracle Fusion and Parallel World Fusion are excellent because they are straight-up one-for-one plays that allow you to get a powerful monster into play with a single card, given that you have the resources. The fact that Miracle Fusion and Parallel World Fusion can be used only with E-Heroes doesn't make that much of a difference, since Future Fusion is still only used by Dragon decks for the most part and Instant Fusion by decks that want Synchro / Xyz material, and they are /still/ the best way to Fuse other than Contact Fusion (which is the other best way of Fusion Summoning, but restricted to Gladiator Beasts iirc). The engine of Stratos / Neos Alius / Gemini Spark / RotA / Hero Blast / E - Emergency Call is still extremely splashable should you decide to play a deck like that, and Miracle Fusion gives the deck great versatility and power (since Elemental Heroes have a toolbox of non-specific Fusion monsters in Absolute Zero, The Shining, Nova Master, Escuridao, Gaia, and Great Tornado) as well as explosiveness and reach.

It's not relevant if the monster you summoned with Miracle Fusion or Parallel World Fusion is destroyed, because it was one resource traded for one resource. Plus, the monsters often have ways of counterbalancing their investment (Absolute Zero blows up your opponent's stuff, The Shining gets you back your stuff, Nova Master gets you more stuff if you kill things with it).

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Just saying, but early Synchs... and some current ones, were broken as hell.

But still, imo, Synchs and XYZ's are just redo's of earlier methods. Synchs is essentially a less specific fusion, and XYZ's are a lot like the monsters with 'special summon only if you do this' in their effect.

Still, XYZ's > Synchs. I can see XYZ's getting a lot more use in hobbyist decks.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a XYZ that needs synch monsters as material. With the requirements to summon synchs and needing more then one material for a XYZ summon, the monster would have to be very powerful... Now that I think about it, I can see the next set of 'god cards' falling under these summoning requirements.

Cirrus

Years
    @Mr. X: You're partially correct, although that's not strictly true.

Synchro Monsters were an evolution of the Contact Fusion concept - they tested the concept in Tactical Evolution for this exact reason and were able to refine their ideas that way. So in a way, Synchro Summon is the successor to Fusion Summon, which is actually still really bad except in specific circumstances.

I'm not sure about Xyz Summoning; however, they are nothing like Nomi monsters or Special Summon Only monsters. I'd say that they seem to be a variant of Synchro Summoning - except instead of summoning boss monsters it's more like one-time-only utility monsters. Generally useful but not usually gamebreaking (cough cough Zenmaighty Leviair etc cough cough) - they don't have huge offensive statistics.

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    No.

The plan is to Fusion Summon--you've done that. The ability to fusion again might be nice, but it's not necessary by any means.

The way I play E-Heroes is too rely on Fusion only. Well, in Spirit Caller you have no choice because it only has Avian, Bursty, Clay, Blade, Wild, Neos, Bubble, Sparks and some Destiny Heroes and those Neos Heroes or whatever.

Cirrus said:
    The engine of Stratos / Neos Alius / Gemini Spark / RotA / Hero Blast / E -
    Emergency Call is still extremely splashable should you decide to play a deck
    like that, and Miracle Fusion gives the deck great versatility and power (since
    Elemental Heroes have a toolbox of non-specific Fusion monsters in Absolute
    Zero, The Shining, Nova Master, Escuridao, Gaia, and Great Tornado) as well as
    explosiveness and reach.

I don't have the cards and they're not in Spirit Caller either, so I can't use them. They're in Over the Nexus, but I'm using a Stardust Dragon deck.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    The way I play E-Heroes is too rely on Fusion only. Well, in Spirit Caller you have no choice because it only has Avian, Bursty, Clay, Blade, Wild, Neos, Bubble, Sparks and some Destiny Heroes and those Neos Heroes or whatever.

I don't have the cards and they're not in Spirit Caller either, so I can't use them. They're in Over the Nexus, but I'm using a Stardust Dragon deck.

Doesn't change the efficacy of Banish-Fusion Spells. Their main point is to provide better flexibility by including the Graveyard as a pool of Fusion Material monsters. You might get better recursive abilities with traditional Polymerization, but it is more difficult to set those cards up. Plus, you're wasting more resource when you play from the Hand / Field; when you Fusion Summon using dead cards, you're recycling them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I run a Gladiator Beast deck, so fusion all the way. I played years before 5Ds was released and I came back in to late. Entered a tournament with my old school trap/lifepoint deck, got pretty far to but kept getting romped by people with these mysterious Synchro cards. I never got the idea of performing them either...they seemed like cheap ways to burn through duels to me. Fusion forever, lol.

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    Doesn't change the efficacy of Banish-Fusion Spells. Their main point is to provide better flexibility by including the Graveyard as a pool of Fusion Material monsters. You might get better recursive abilities with traditional Polymerization, but it is more difficult to set those cards up. Plus, you're wasting more resource when you play from the Hand / Field; when you Fusion Summon using dead cards, you're recycling them.

On that game my plan is to fusion all of them, then Miracle Fusion them. After that I bring out the Erikshy thing (Future Fusion) and get them back in the game and it happens all over again.

Cirrus

Years
    Just because you don't have access to those cards in a certain game doesn't mean they're still strictly superior as a way of summoning Fusion Monsters. : I

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    Just because you don't have access to those cards in a certain game doesn't mean they're still strictly superior as a way of summoning Fusion Monsters. : I

I never said that! I just said that those are the ones I use and have...
    I know that the rest of the E-Heroes can make a good deck (rental deck in WC 2011) and it's better than the other ones...but since I've never used those cards I had no idea how to play them and lost...

Back