• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[YGO] Today's Metagame & The Future's Meta

KinokiGaming

"The only Trollzama."
Years
  • This is a discussion on what you feel about how today's metagame is or how broken some decks are. What cards do you think are banned or what do you see in the near future that's going to compete as a Top Tier deck. If you don't know what the Top Tier Decks are, here you go...

Tier 0
    Six Samurai. ( xD )

Tier 1
    -Blackwings
    -Chaos Plants
    -Frog Monarch
    -Gladiator Beasts
    -Gravekeeper
    -X-Sabers

Tier 2
    -Frog Ftk
    -Lightsworn/Twilight
    -Scraps
    -T.G.
    -Tengu
    -Worms

Anti Meta
    -Amazoness
    -Emergency E-Heroes
    -Light Gemini Beat
    -Zombies

Some of the things I have notice lately that Psychics are now trying to compete with this Mind Master Loop that's been killing around my area. The worst part of it is they usually get the loop done on turn 1. (If you don't know what the Mind Master Loop, it's field control where you can't play anything.) I think it might go as a Top Tier Deck, but who knows, Mind Master might get banned.

Dragunitys also has the potential to be Top Tier with all their effects and swarming abilities, but they are out class be X-Sabers and Six Samurai. Unable to outspeed other swarming decks, but if they can get out the right field, then they will be okay.

The last thing I want to talk about is Fabled Decks. I have seen them placed and I have seen them bombed to the end so I don't know how to place this on the tier list.

Please tell me what you think.

Years
  • From my experience playing, and the Regs I last went to, I believe Tengu is more 1.5, since it can go in anything. Also, never seen anything like Emergency E-Heroes, more like Miracle Gemini, especially with the release of The Shining. Amazoness? I don't even see them, not much of an Anti-Meta. Sooner see Morphtronics before Amazoness. I agree about Mind Master, but Psychics just got some power, so it won't be banned for maybe a format or 2. Dragunity will be tier 1 soon due to their popularity in Regs. Other than that, I agree with the listings.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years

Face-a-palm.

Six Samurai are not tier 0 any more. They don't have that unshakable position they did when Gateway was still at 3. There are no decks that are tier 0 at the moment; it's because a really large number of decks can be viable (up to and including rogue decks!) - it makes this format a huge hassle to make a side deck, and you have to devote your cards in your side deck to Gravekeepers and Six Samurai because otherwise you just lose (which means you can't possibly side properly for every deck ever). Fish FTK are a lot better than you think they are because Dewloren is broken (and by broken I mean BROKEN); if they get their combo off short of a Dark Hole you just lose, and even if you did have one, they can just do it to you next turn (or whatever) - plus furthermore they can Tempest Magician for the FTK.

So yes. Basically what I'm trying to say is tier 1 is huge.

Also Worms are not tier 2. >_>; They're GOOD and they have potential, but the number of good Worms is not very large. You can't run a pure Worm deck and expect to beat very many things (because it's just not very good).

None of those anti-meta decks you listed are anti-meta because it doesn't exist this format (too many viable decks). Amazoness is just not viable at all (unfortunately ... I actually like Amazoness cards but they're not good). Super Poly E-Heroes and Light Gemini Beat are nearly the same deck (one runs Miracle Fusion and Super Poly, the other sides it) with only some marginal card differences (I assume Fusion Heroes are what you are talking about because every E-Hero deck runs E-Call).

I'm not too sure on the status of Zombies; I'll check once I have time.

Last edited:

KinokiGaming

"The only Trollzama."
    Years
  • If you didn't see ( xD ) next to the Six Samurai. I was just exaggerating. Gateway is just ridiculous at 3, i'm glad reduced it to 1, but it should be semi-limited because as soon your opponent sees that card, they are going to MST it. So it's easy to get rid of. Frog FTK is not Tier 1 material. Swarming Decks will just eat that deck up and rape them. I give them Props for winning worlds, but after that, everyone started to play Frog FTK. The only reason it won worlds is because no one was prepare to fight against it. I can see them classified as 1.5 at the highest.

Anti Meta still is in this format. Like you said, "...you can't possibly side properly for every deck ever." Anti Meta are decks no one expects in tournament play. Amazoness sucks compared to the other swarming decks, but it has shown potential in competitive play. E-Heroes is really popular in Canada right now. (Don't ask me because it's weird and I don't know. .-.) It just won their nationals. Showing their true power there. Gemini has been hitting top 8 lately in regionals and be able to win at mid game makes them even better.

Decks aren't tiered by how many people play with them, it's determined how they are played and Dragunities aren't good compared as the other Swarming Decks like Six Samurai and Blackwings.

Worms have also been showing their true potential lately in regionals, but I might place in Anti Meta Game. It's also a one of a kind deck that no one is some what prepared for, but it can be handle with.

Cirrus

Years
  • Decks that are able to win at regionals can simply be tier 2 decks.

...Do you know how consistent Fish FTK's turn one kill is? If not that, then turn two or three will definitely see the deck kill the opposing deck. There is about a 90-95% chance that the deck will fire on turn 2 or three (with a Trunade in hand and so on) - short of a Veiler or a Herald of Orange Light it is impossible to stop it. We might have different sentiments about this, but Frog FTK are extremely powerful and definitely tier 1 material (contrary to what you say, swarming decks do not destroy Fish FTK because to play a swarming deck you have to be suicidal - Gravekeepers' Royal Tribute destroys your deck). Game two it is possible to bait out the opponent's Effect Veiler and still go for the FTK, even if they set up a good board position. Michael Bonacini has played with this deck extensively and declares that it is broken; from viewing Bahamut's Divine Performance Vol. 2 and from intense debate with a few friends, I have come up with the same conclusion (even before I read his blog - though I recommend it because he is an excellent player). It is incredibly powerful and Hyper Librarian encourages overextension (which is stupid). Therefore, it is definitively tier 1.

I wouldn't say that anti-meta would precisely be decks that no one expects in tournament play; that might be your definition, but I usually see it as more of a deck that beats the "meta" or popular decks in a competitive setting, which is why I don't think it's very viable at the moment. Decks that no one expects to see in a competitive setting are rogue decks, not necessarily anti-meta decks - there's a difference.

Six Samurai swarm less and rely on turn 1 Shien plus defensive Traps to win a game. They're not as much of a swarm-y deck now, though they can still do lucksack swarm OTKs if they draw really well.

Blackwings, I feel, are weaker than other deck choices I could be playing, but I know how good they are - though nowadays they capitalize on a large Trap lineup and playing defensively to gain advantage.

Worms are tier 2 - shows good performance in Regionals, basically the epitome of a tier 2 deck (if built really well into a hybrid, because there are only really 4 good Worms if you want to run a fast deck). W Nebula Meteor is awesomely amazing.

Side note: Tengu is broken; the guys in the OCG don't have an EXACT and CLEAR idea HOW yet, but it is. Birdman Tengu surprised me by topping, but Birdman is also a powerful card (especially used in conjunction with Tengu - I mean wat). The optimal Tengu deck hasn't been found yet, though, AFAIK.

Last edited:

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • Six Samurai got an additional boost because of Shien's Dojo, I personally run samurais and karakuris and both have the potintial to do well in today's metagame. In the UK Nationals, Tengu Plants and X-sabers were the most popular decks. Right now the meta-game has so many decks which have potiential to swarm in one turn or set up a inpassible field (Solemn Warning/Solemn Judgement and other disruptive cards), enough for games to not even last more than a few turns.
    Whoever wins the dice roll gets a massive advantage (Unless they draw a really bad hand), which is why alot of decks have the potiential of being tier 1. I would say that no deck is tier 0, as many decks have good and bad match ups against certain opponents. Also side-decking and knowledge of the meta itself, plays a huge advantage, sometimes I would lose game 1 and my side deck would win me game 2 and 3. It's all down to the player, as well as the deck itself, however I would say that decks that can swarm with consitency would be considered tier 1.
    No-one really plays FTK decks anymore, due to first turn Shi-en wrecks them or people set alot of back row which disrupts their plays.

Here is my opnion of the metagame:
    Tier 1:
    Samurai/Dojo Samurai
    Chaos Plants/Tengu Plants
    Gravekeeper
    Light Gemini Beatdown

Tier 1.5
    Scraps
    Fabled
    Dragunity
    Formula Monarchs
    Fairy
    Fish FTK
    Plant Synchro Variants such as Zombie Plants and Karakuri Plants

Tier 2:
    Everything Else

The reason I put everything else as tier 2, is because any deck has the potiential to do well in this format, but isn't as popular. Tier 1.5 has the potiential to be good as tier 1 decks, but due to popularity, they are not seen as often.

@ Gymn

Fish FTK or Frog FTK as it's known, is a loop with dewloren and brionac which allows you to burn your opponent for damage, winning you the game, but this deck hasn't seen any really play in the metagame.

Cirrus

Years
  • -FISH- FTK is stronger than Dragunities; not the same tier. Definitely not 1.5 (see previous argument).

Agent Angels about as good as other tier 1 decks. Tier 1.

Tier 2 has a ton of decks for sure, but not every deck is in tier 2. : s Just viable decks that can possibly top regionals.

I know Samurai got Dojo; since I play with OCG cards Samurai with Dojo have been around for quite a while. (No I don't play much IRL at all.)

Last edited:

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • FISH FTK hasn't been popular anymore since the col fighter + Armory arm loop has now been errated, so it's pretty much lost a good combo and not to mention gold sarcing into trunade and having to wait a few turns to explode is usually too late, whilst dragunitys just terraforming into their ravine and get combos going as soon as possible. Not to mention some use Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon which makes the deck have alot more hitting power. All you need to do is stop their big fish play with a royal oppression or solemn warning. It's like a one trick pony which never gets off in time and they always rely on trunade to clear the back row, which if a Shi-en is on the field is difficult and their high monster count makes them get wrecked by a royal tribute.
    Dragunitys did alot better at the UK nationals and most players used formula monarchs instead of Fish FTK.
    Well everything else has the potiential to do well, but it all depends how you build it and how the player is. I can understand your point in the sense that if you just through a bunch of cards together and expect it to be as good as a well constructed and tested deck, there would be a significant difference. But most people know what ideas/cards are good and what ideas are bad for each format and if they don't, they usually will find out, the hard way X_X.

Cirrus

Years
  • OH FK I GOT CONFUSED

Right, Fish FTK. GODDAMMIT.

Fish FTK is usually repeatedly summoning Trishula (up to a number of five SORRY DID I SAY FIVE I MEANT INFINITE times) and then ACCEL SYNCHROING for the sixth on your opponent's turn. Boom go all of the cards in their hand. Why would you use the Colossal Fighter combo? This way is a lot safer (and it's a four-card combo, with only two cards being absolutely necessary - the others can be really anything).

Plus like I said you can open second or third turn game consistently - let me emphasize, even though the deck runs Gold Sarcophagus it doesn't need it to fetch Trunade. Plus it can simply operate as a normal Fish Synchro deck well enough (that's how good Treeborn and Fishborg are o_o).

What are you going to do about it? Maxx "C"? Infinite Trishulas now RFG your deck, cool. Veiler and Herald are the only real answers.

REPLACE ALL FROG FTK (DOESN'T EXIST - IT IS TERRIBLE) WITH FISH FTK WHEREVER APPROPRIATE IN MY POSTS.

/face to the palm

FISH FTK is broken. FROG FTK is OBSOLETE.

-hurdur fail-

@Gymno: They are two different things; I just got confused so much by OP because Frog FTK (which didn't exist) was there and I thought it was Fish FTK instead.

For anyone who doesn't know what Fish FTK is: see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yg1OtMHt8

Last edited:

Cirrus

Years
  • Mark my words.

Fish FTK might even become the new tier 0 after July 2nd (Hyper Librarian comes out).

The deck is trash without Hyper Librarian though.

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • Any deck which can spam lv 5s will abuse T.G Hyper Librian for sure will be the most popular decks. Sams and Chaos Plants will be the most popular decks to spam level 5 synchros, alongside Fabled. Fish FTK isn't exactly a deck which can abuse level 5s as well, unless you get your big fish play off.
    Nothing is tier 0 and things will become more difficult for some decks once priorty leaves the game.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Any deck which can spam lv 5s will abuse T.G Hyper Librian for sure will be the most popular decks. Sams and Chaos Plants will be the most popular decks to spam level 5 synchros, alongside Fabled. Fish FTK isn't exactly a deck which can abuse level 5s as well, unless you get your big fish play off.
    Nothing is tier 0 and things will become more difficult for some decks once priorty leaves the game.

But the "big fish play" is so ridiculously easy to get, and even if it's foiled from the very beginning, the deck can easily find a second route. Trying to stop it midway just doesn't work either, since cards will just be flying around everywhere.

Cirrus

Years
  • Fish FTK can't abuse Hyper Librarian?

I am tempted to say "umadbro".

Fish FTK can abuse the retardedly good Hyper Librarian PLUS Symbols of Heritage + Dewloren, which is also available this format. Fish FTK abuses Hyper Librarian so much that they start from a four-card hand and goes into a full field of Synchros plus a ten-to-eleven-card hand PLUS infinite Trishula.

HYPER LIBRARIAN ABUSE AT ITS BEST, IMO. You can't top that very well.

I am still uncertain if you know what Fish FTK actually does... did you watch that video? If you are skeptical about the deck's viability going second, well, watch the video titled "Going Second". Also there are videos of Fish FTK playing actual matches against actual good decks, so if you are STILL unconvinced about how good it is, watch those perhaps.

Veiler does not stop the "big fish play" as well as you think it does. The deck is incredibly resilient in fact against Veiler.

But we'll see come July.

EDIT: Hyper Librarian isn't very good on its own just sitting there by the way. So Six Samurai will still want to go for Shien almost every time.

Last edited:
    Back