• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music You actually listen to THAT?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Is there a type or genre that you listen to that people would be surprised about if they found out?

For me it would have to be Big Band from the 20s. It was something I always listened to when I was at my grandparents when they would babysit me when I was young.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    most people I talk to IRL don't actually know/aren't familiar with what EDM/Trance is so it kind of catches them off guard every time I mention it for some reason.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I listen to rap, which is very jarring for a lot of people because I'm a small asian girl so they think it's hilarious I listen to rap. When I first told my now boyfriend he literally burst out laughing.

I remember in grade 10 or something, during one of those ice breakers teachers make us do at the beginning of a school year, one of the exercises was to introduce yourself to a friend and then have them introduce you to the class. One of the questions was "who is your favourite artist" and at the time I wanted to say Tupac, but I just told my friend to say Rihanna because I look more like a Rihanna fan than a Tupac fan lmao

Years
    I listen to rap, which is very jarring for a lot of people because I'm a small asian girl so they think it's hilarious I listen to rap.

I've always given you a bunch of flak for this but now I can kind of understand, especially since more recent popular music is rap. I still don't particularly enjoy rap, but I'm fine with a couple songs.

Anyway, since middle school I've listened to a lot of music with screamed vocals, including genres like post-hardcore, metalcore, emo, etc. I still haven't gotten over my emo phase entirely tbh :P . It's usually a turn-off for most people I talk to so I just describe my preferences as alternative/rock, which is much easier for people to digest.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
    Hm.. I don't think I have one! It's pretty obvious someone like me would enjoy video game OST and electronic/dubstep/etc.
    I guess some people were surprised that I like some metal and rock? Mmm nah.. it kinda shocked my parents though..
    Oh! Nobody would of guessed I'm a fan of Celtic music.

Years
    oh by the way people don't expect me to listen to incredibly girly/feminine and sappy love songs which is the biggest thing I tend to keep from most people. :x

Resolve

I have it
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 2, 2020
    No one ever thought that I'd listen to rap for some reason.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    My Mom would love you...lol. She loves Celtic and bagpipe music.

*Cough* I listen to Classical and Celtic music too. I'm half Irish/Scottish after all. What people don't realize is that I prefer Classical music to just about anything modern. I mean there are some good tracks from the 50's, 60's, 70's and even 80's(90's onward, for the most part(there are a few exceptions), can go f&$* themselves) but the lasting and soothing impact of Classical is what draws me to it. Zelda 25th and 30th Anniversary Concerts = bliss to my ears...

Bagpipe version of Amazing Grace is undoubtably the saddest variant in existence. I can't get through it without crying.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I used to listen to classical music all the time when I was little. Mom would play it on the radio when we'd go to my grandparents every day.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I guess EDM /trance/house cause I don't really mention it to a lot of people. Particularly stuff from the 2000s like Basshunter and Daft Punk. I had a big obsession with house in like 2009. Also some chillwave/vaporwave which I dont tell anyone cause it's not an easy genre to explain to people.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    People are usually surprised when they find out I listen to folk music, aha. Simon & Garfunkel for life!

SapphireSky

Unovan Engineer
    Years
    I grew up listening to country so in my early teens it kinda surprised my family that I listened to metal and later EDM. Nowadays though people close to me are more surprised to find out I listen to jazz and R&B.

Years
    I listen to almost every genre of music but as of late l've been really into Disco, Rock, and Alternative music especially and I know that surprises some. I also have been growing out of Rap/Hip-hop and EDM music and I only play songs of those genres on occasion.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh! I just remembered! Big Band music too. I don't think anyone would guess I listen to that based on how I look / dress / etc, lol.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    People always seem shocked with how well versed in the K-Pop genre I am. I can't decide if it's the bias against K-Pop or if the genre just doesn't seem to fit me as a person. XD

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I listen to a lot of oldies music tbh. I'm not sure how shocking that is, but it's usually music before my time. I love it though. My mom actually got me into different types, and I usually like anything from the 50s to 80s at most. Some of my most favorite songs is Purple Rain by Prince and Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi.

Back