• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You are a Pokemon Company's employee and you are in charge of designing the next game... (any gen..)

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
  • This thread idea has been lingering in my head for quite a while... So I'll post it.
    With the development of romhacks, I see a lot of things are done to match already known standards like gen. 6 and gen. 7.

But what if you were in charge of the next generation's game, working from scratch? For audience freedom, I leave the choice open, but I'll use gen 2 as an example to illustrate the thought process.
    Let's say you are in year 1999 and Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow have been a worldwide hit. You are tasked to design the next hit. What decisions do you take to improve on the gameplay, the battle engine, the story, etc?

You can take your target gen as reference for inspiration, but you don't have to. The "hardcore mode" of the challenge is to emit ideas on your own only with what you have from the previous gens.

So I'll make my own below,

Little thought experiment, I hope you'll have fun with it :)

if I was in charge of creating a brand new gen 2 Pokémon game/romhack wihout drawing ideas from future gens:

- I probably wouldn't come with the idea of Pokémon breeding, or in a slightly different way maybe. I dislike how the Nidoqueen/Nidoking paradox is treated
    - Pokémon babies. Nope. Not them, doesn't add any depth.
    - I'd look for a type re-balancings without adding new types because it already was a big chart already. Tasks at hand, nerfing Psychic, buffing bug, poison and Ice.
    - maybe add a new damage multiplicator attached to weight or height differences between Pokémon. but how to balance it is unknown...
    - maybe add new typings not to balance the table but to make the game more realistic: these typings couldn't be given to Pokémons, only to moves that use a body part or a weapon. For reference, Persona games have Pierce damage, Slash damage and Pierce damage. These 3 special offensive typings could be super-effective or not according to Pokémon's added characteristic: organic or not. If the body is organic, it can suffer heavy damage from something as innocent as a normal-type bite or peck.
    - remove all marginal signature moves from gen.1 like barrage, egg bomb, constrict, standardize offensive moves a bit more
    - add a new mechanic that lets player disable progress flags and teleport him to the last suitable checkpoint. For example, if I want to undo my progress after first badge, reset all the trainer beaten and event flags from after that and teleport player in front of the first gym. Only new items, pokédollars and Pokémon are kept. it's like a new game+ inside the game and shouldn't be too hard to program. Lets the player experiments with lots of freshly captured Pokémon without having to train them against other wild Pokémon.
    - since critical hits based on speed are too overpowered, I'd look for something to complement it, rather than cancelling it. What side effects can other stats give? high HP = better %HP regained upon heal; better attack = accuracy bonus on moves that don't have it, better defense = %chance of reducing damage from super-effective moves (physical types), better special = %chance of reducing damage from super-effective moves (special types)
    - remove normal dual-typing from all Flying-type birds (seems useless)
    - better reward for actually capturing pokémon (battles aside): giving items on milestones, could be battling items to make fights better or unrelated items like room decoration, or maybe special types of Pokéballs/free Pokéballs;
    - a system of rental Pokémon, same as in Pokémon stadium
    - a different starter triangle (rock, flying and fighting for example)
    - a different starting environment, for example a village in winter or in the mountains, not having to repeat the whole starting village, forest, flying and bug-type Pokémons
    - plot-wise maybe expand on conflicts that aren't only sorted out by Pokémon duels with a 10-yo protagonist
    - expand on the idea of a Safari zone by making it the norm in all wild battles, why not

Last edited:

Mario60866

Banned
    Years
  • If I had to make the next generation 8 game for the Nintendo Switch (or better yet the 3ds), I would make a remake of Platinum. Firstly I would include every Pokemon, move, item, and other mechanic from previous generations.
    I would improve on Platinum's story and add my own story and mechanics, plus my 351 fan fiction Pokemon.

MORDZgaming

Being defeated is just a mere condition, giving up
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2022
    - I probably wouldn't come with the idea of Pokémon breeding, or in a slightly different way maybe. I dislike how the Nidoqueen/Nidoking paradox is treated
    - Pokémon babies. Nope. Not them, doesn't add any depth.
    - I'd look for a type re-balancings without adding new types because it already was a big chart already. Tasks at hand, nerfing Psychic, buffing bug, poison and Ice.
    - maybe add a new damage multiplicator attached to weight or height differences between Pokémon. but how to balance it is unknown...
    - maybe add new typings not to balance the table but to make the game more realistic: these typings couldn't be given to Pokémons, only to moves that use a body part or a weapon. For reference, Persona games have Pierce damage, Slash damage and Pierce damage. These 3 special offensive typings could be super-effective or not according to Pokémon's added characteristic: organic or not. If the body is organic, it can suffer heavy damage from something as innocent as a normal-type bite or peck.
    - remove all marginal signature moves from gen.1 like barrage, egg bomb, constrict, standardize offensive moves a bit more
    - add a new mechanic that lets player disable progress flags and teleport him to the last suitable checkpoint. For example, if I want to undo my progress after first badge, reset all the trainer beaten and event flags from after that and teleport player in front of the first gym. Only new items, pokédollars and Pokémon are kept. it's like a new game+ inside the game and shouldn't be too hard to program. Lets the player experiments with lots of freshly captured Pokémon without having to train them against other wild Pokémon.
    - since critical hits based on speed are too overpowered, I'd look for something to complement it, rather than cancelling it. What side effects can other stats give? high HP = better %HP regained upon heal; better attack = accuracy bonus on moves that don't have it, better defense = %chance of reducing damage from super-effective moves (physical types), better special = %chance of reducing damage from super-effective moves (special types)
    - remove normal dual-typing from all Flying-type birds (seems useless)
    - better reward for actually capturing pokémon (battles aside): giving items on milestones, could be battling items to make fights better or unrelated items like room decoration, or maybe special types of Pokéballs/free Pokéballs;
    - a system of rental Pokémon, same as in Pokémon stadium
    - a different starter triangle (rock, flying and fighting for example)
    - a different starting environment, for example a village in winter or in the mountains, not having to repeat the whole starting village, forest, flying and bug-type Pokémons
    - plot-wise maybe expand on conflicts that aren't only sorted out by Pokémon duels with a 10-yo protagonist
    - expand on the idea of a Safari zone by making it the norm in all wild battles, why not

I think most of the features you mentioned were already covered on some improvement hacks for Red/Blue. Although, GB/SGB versions are not really my thing, I'm alot more nostalgic towards the GBA era.

And speaking of, it would have been awesome if GameFreak could have come up with versions like SORS and Unbound themselve's during those times. Easily hall of fame versions in my book, but seriously how is it that hobbyist can make their games 100x better and the best that they can come up with is to just make the franchise look like Fortnite. Pfft.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I would like to see an uncommon type distribution, like having Ice and Dragon types more common in the early game and water types more rare while more Dark and Fire types overall. I would also like to see a different starter typing, altough that may be too unpopular given how the fire/water/grass trio has become so iconic.

Back