• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You are losing your house to a fire

Sirfetch’d

Gav(abnegation) made this thread around a year ago and it was a pretty cool thread, so I thought that I would bring it back!

Let's say your house is on fire and you only have a couple of minutes to grab whatever you can hold in your hands at one time to save. What do you save from your home? Assume everything else will be lost forever and only what you can hold on one trip out will be saved.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    I assume people can get out themselves and I won't have to carry my boyfriend? lol

If that's the case, then I'd save my two cats. I'd leave my 2,000$ PC, my game systems, my video games, etc. and save my kitties.

If I can assume that the cats would get out an open window and my boyfriend can escape on his own, then I'd take my laptop, my wallet, my 3DS and games, my cellphone annddd that's probably the only material things I care about :pink_nod: don't think I could carry all that and my WiiU or else I would.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Well, first and foremost, I would save my Yu-Gi-Oh decks. (I mean, jeez, I spent hundreds of dollars building them.) After that, my laptop and iPod would take second priority. If I have any room for leftovers, then I would most likely grab my 3DS.

Unfortunately, I would have to leave behind my massive Beyblade collection since it would be impossible to lug around. =(

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Whatever I could fit into a duffle bag in under 5 minutes.

Memory cards, xbox, things that don't have memory cards, pictures of family and whatnot, magic cards, my money and that's pretty much it. Everything else could be replaced. Hopefully insurance would help out with that otherwise I'll be busting out the window in my room and trying to shove everything I own out of it before the fire gets to me.

Sirfetch’d

Whatever I could fit into a duffle bag in under 5 minutes.

Memory cards, xbox, things that don't have memory cards, pictures of family and whatnot, magic cards, my money and that's pretty much it. Everything else could be replaced. Hopefully insurance would help out with that otherwise I'll be busting out the window in my room and trying to shove everything I own out of it before the fire gets to me.

I wanna be the good person and say that I would grab those things too, but I'm not sure if I would :x I mean I have pictures of family on my PC/phone etc so those things would probably be the things that I grab first because both are very important to me. I'd also make sure my dog was with me no matter what because I would HAVE to make sure my lil baby is safe. Assuming I could hold one or two more things, I would grab my wallet, money box, and my little box of sentimental things that simply cannot be replaced ever.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I wanna be the good person and say that I would grab those things too, but I'm not sure if I would :x I mean I have pictures of family on my PC/phone etc so those things would probably be the things that I grab first because both are very important to me. I'd also make sure my dog was with me no matter what because I would HAVE to make sure my lil baby is safe. Assuming I could hold one or two more things, I would grab my wallet, money box, and my little box of sentimental things that simply cannot be replaced ever.

With the whole picture thing, we could and probably should have them on facebook. I know my dad uploaded pretty much every picture he had of our family onto facebook a while back but there's just something about pictures that you've taken and can actually hold in your hand. The memories are more prevalent in the thing you can hold in your hand rather than just looking at it on the screen. Taking the pictures definitely wouldn't be my first thought, but I wouldn't want to forget them even if I had already put them online.

Detox

Well losing the entire house would be devastating, but honestly material things don't mean much to me. If I can assume that the rest of my family can also get out on their own, I suppose that I'd Grab my Xbox One, my bag and whatever is in it and a few pairs of clothes. I don't really keep much cash on me so I wouldn't have to worry about grabbing that, but I'd make sure that I have any relevant credit / debit cards. I can't really think of much else.

Though depending on where the fire is I'd just break the bedroom window and start heaving things out of it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    This is easy for me because almost all of my clothes that matter to me are already in my car, because if they weren't, my brother would take them and wear them while I'm at work so I don't have to worry about that.

I'd take my messenger bag, which has most of my essential electronics already packed up since that's where I just keep them by default, but even that's just my iPad, my 3DS, and my laptop. Respective games and chargers for those.

Apart from that, I'd take my keys and I'd probably grab my blanket before I leave. But I'd also probably forget about that.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I always think about this, but I'd probably save family photos and cherished items that can't be replaced (photos, relics, my diploma). I'm fairly sentimental and those things matter to me. If I was also able, my Lego minifigs and some old games just because they are worth something to me in the same sentimentality as the former.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I would carry my pets out if they count. If they don't I would take my phone, charger, and wallet. Tbh if my house was on fire and I only had a few dire moments to grab things I would be more concerned with my life and the ability to contact people so that's probably all I would grab. I wouldn't want to linger.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
    My laptop goes in my laptop bag that has my DnD stuff in it, I have about $800 cash in my room that I'd like to save, and while I'm up there I'd also take my phone, iPod, and anything else that can fit in my pockets. Then I'd throw it all in my car and hope it starts after 5 months of sitting.

Years
    I would grab my game systems and videogames.

Let my laptop burn so people feel sympathy for me and buy me a new one that is better anyway.
    I will pretend I lost my PS4 in the fire (I don't own one), and perhaps I will get one out of sympathy.

Also, I will be out of my apartment lease, which would be a good thing since the people around here are mostly obnoxious and just out of high school frat/bimbo types. And I have no attachment to the things in my apartment as most other things aside from clothes were purchased by the complex. So basically, I would be glad to have my apartment catch on fire. Don't give me any ideas!

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
    I'd probably grab my laptop, phone and wallet first (obviosuly). If I had time, I'd also get my 3DS and old mini plushie collection (that thing is almost as valuable as my TV to me).

If a real life situation though I'd probably have to react fast enough and grab the essentials.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Speaking of family photos, I wouldn't have to grab those since I don't have any lol I can imagine leaving them behind in favour of something else would be very emotional and upsetting.

I guess that's a positive about having a dysfunctional immediate and extended family :pink_tongue:

pkmin3033

I wouldn't save anything. Chances are I'd perish in the fire along with my belongings, as I'd either be indecisive about what I should save, or take too long trying to save too much and wind up suffocating. Either that, or I'd die trying to gather things up - I could leave some of my consoles alone, as the insurance would cover them, but the stuff I couldn't easily replace (my degrees, special edition consoles/games/DVDs/books, photographs, etc) are scattered throughout the house.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I was actually in this situation a couple years ago at my cousin's house when a fire started in the field behind his house. It burned along the entire street threatening everyone's homes. Luckily they managed to put it out, stopping the damage at people's fence lines.

That being said, while my mom and aunt were in a scramble to get important things like photographs and other sentimental things of that nature--my cousin and I were screaming for them to get the playstation, xbox, computer, tv etc. We were into play World of Warcraft all day every day then and while we only had level 40 characters(back when it was hard to level!) we were adamant about not leaving unless that was coming with us because without a computer we could no longer play!!!!

Now if I were to be in the same situation today I think I'd be a little more mature about it. Depending on the severity of the situation I'd grab the laptops(they are in the same room and my backpack is also in the same room) and the dogs. If I could grab some clothes, too, I would. But my priority would be dogs > laptops > anything else. My wallet is always on my person and since all my money is in the bank I'd be able to replace any necessities quickly.

Back