• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"You can lead a horse to prune juice, but you can't make him drink it"

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'm not sure if it counts but... I like "stupid is as stupid does". This comes from Forrest Gump, and it couldn't be anymore relevant to some people who live on this planet. I'm not sure if it's considered an idiom though. I don't know what those are autistic ftw. :x

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    I'm not sure if it counts but... I like "stupid is as stupid does".
    Yes, ma'am, that one counts. Idioms are different from sayings, because in idioms you've got a phrase that means something you wouldn't normally be able to tell from the words. The title of this thread's idiom is actually "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it", and the meaning behind it is more or less you can't do everything for someone, sometimes they just don't want to cooperate. That's my understanding of it. But that's why I also included sayings, because the phrase I included isn't an idiom at all.

But yes, stupid is as stupid does. I work in food service currently, and I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who walk up, take five entire minutes to order something like a hotdog, and then spend another five minutes trying to get the exact change when I see they have a five dollar bill in their hand.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I can't remember my favourite idiom over my desire to hit people who say they 'could care less' with a rake.
    Really, I do have one; I think it was Japanese and about the way people act at a market or something, but I don't remember.

Someone isn't the brightest crayon in the shed.
    It's 'brightest crayon in the box' or 'sharpest tool in the shed'. For an aspiring writer you do seem rather careless about this.

Years
    "I'll burn that bridge when I come to it."

In other words, I won't bother actively severing relationships, but given the opportunity I'll rise to the occasion. Or fall, rather.

Years
    Though I dont think its an idiom,I like the saying-For The Greater Good.
    Also I dont know why but when I think about sayings-Honesty is the best policy always creeps up my mind!

Oh!Wait!I also like the saying-Cry cry but dont try!(A disastrous attempt towadrs creating humour)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It was a joke.
    How does deliberately doing something wrong constitute a joke? Really, I'd like to know; I've seen people call this kind of thing a joke before but it seems devoid of context to me, like telling someone something they have no reason not to believe for all it's worth, then saying "ha fooled you".

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    "Lights are on, nobody's home."

How does deliberately doing something wrong constitute a joke? Really, I'd like to know; I've seen people call this kind of thing a joke before but it seems devoid of context to me, like telling someone something they have no reason not to believe for all it's worth, then saying "ha fooled you".

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    It's a type of humor. My humor comes with how I word things, rather than building things up to a punchline. I'm not quite getting what your example leads to. I thought it was quite obvious that I was butchering the saying, and I'm not seeing how I tried to make someone believe otherwise. All because it's not your type of humor doesn't mean that it's not humor, and I don't appreciate the passive-aggressiveness of your response.

Quajutsu said:
    I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.
    I agree.

bill flibby said:
    On the contrary, Treehouse needs a bit more drama and conflict. Let's let this play out.
    I also agree.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    ... aaand moving on. :)

"As high as a kite", "Add insult to injury", and "Hell in a handbasket" are some of my favs.

did i mention that i really like idioms?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It's a type of humor. My humor comes with how I word things, rather than building things up to a punchline. I'm not quite getting what your example leads to. I thought it was quite obvious that I was butchering the saying, and I'm not seeing how I tried to make someone believe otherwise. All because it's not your type of humor doesn't mean that it's not humor, and I don't appreciate the passive-aggressiveness of your response.
    Well, you said something I don't see reason to think wasn't done in genuine error. So I don't see how anyone coming across your sentence is supposed to recognise it at as a joke rather than a mistake. And at this point, especially having seen an exchange like ours play out before, I'd like to know in logical terms what makes it a device of humour. I was reminded of a discussion I thought quite similar, the point of which I agreed with, hence my example. That's all. I'm not really trying to generate a spat out of this, although admittedly I don't very much care if that's what happens.

Last edited:

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    let's make like a tom and cruise

I said this as I was lining up for takeoff during the checkride for my private rating and the flight examiner was not amused

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    let's make like a tom and cruise

I said this as I was lining up for takeoff during the checkride for my private rating and the flight examiner was not amused

out of all the possible tom cruise/flying jokes and you choose that

i'd have failed you on the spot

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2017
    "If I wanted to watch a man eat an orange, I would have taken the orange eating class."

Back