• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen You know what really grinds my gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Hey! This is a place to rant about things in HGSS or what's happened to your HGSS. Plain and simple, just release some stress. One thing I absolutely can't stand about HGSS is the pointlessness behind Lyra. She's just a character that teaches you how to catch a Pokemon, then does absolutely nothing afterwards. You never battle her, they hint at romance and never elaborate on it later, she's really just a pointless character.

Also when my little brother deletes my file on my Soul Silver after I get a lvl 93 Feraligatr, 98 Typhlosion, etc. etc. He ruined my dream team!

If there's already a thread like this, can a mod please direct me to it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What bothers me about HG/SS is how the Pokegear doesn't have much applications as the Poketch, like the pedometer. I also don't like how you have to release the legendary beasts to roam Johto in order to proceed; I wanted to just wait till later so I could reset for stats.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    One thing I don't like about the PokeGear is how it shows you where the legendary dogs / Lati@s is at. I remember just roaming around and encountering it by accident before I knew the Pokedex had a little thing for area checking of a Pokemon. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    One major thing about HG/SS that I hate is the rematch system. Half the time you don't know where certian trainers are, and you're stuck waiting for challenges in order to grind up pokemon. They also managed to muck up gym leader rematches, not to mention JOEY'S TOP PERCENTAGE RATTATA.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • What I hate?
    The fact that after you beat the game, the only decent training available is red or gym rematches. And even then, red is one time only and the gym rematches have specific times that I always forget and have to look up serebii for.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Heidi. It's Kris, not Heidi. I've said this before.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    @Para: agreed. I stopped doing rematches because of this.
    @frost: If you beat the Elite Four, you can fight Red again. So, I just grind my pokemon by beating the Elite Four, running to Red, and repeat.
    @P3ndu1um: I actually lol'd. ;D

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    One major thing about HG/SS that I hate is the rematch system. Half the time you don't know where certian trainers are, and you're stuck waiting for challenges in order to grind up pokemon. They also managed to muck up gym leader rematches, not to mention JOEY'S TOP PERCENTAGE RATTATA.

Have you done the Route entering and exiting trick? I've been doing that on Ruby and Sapphire.

Yeah, I really dislike how they made trainer rematches still annoying. It was annoying in the original because of the limits. The rematch in the remake didn't improve that much because you're allowed to hold almost every trainer's phone numbers, but you can only rematch them during Morning, Daytime, and Nighttime on a certain day, which is stupid IMO.

Like for example: You can fight School Kid Jack only on Mondays at around 4 AM to 10 AM.

That's the biggest flaw I see on Heart Gold and Soul Silver. So your best bet's Elite Four, especially if you have an Amulet Coin/Luck Incense equipped on your Leading Pokemon and Lucky Egg equipped on the rest.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
  • I don't really like the phone calling feature. I do know that it was in the older versions, obviously, however it teaches kids that giving away their phone number to complete strangers is o.k. The reason this upsets me so much is because I know that when I was younger, this game made me think that giving away my number to just about anyone was okay. I actually gave away our home phone to at least 12 people I did not know around the neighborhood. I was then punished, of course.

The other reason I do not like this feature is because I keep getting calls from this one kid (Joey) and his stupid Rattata. You know the kid, I'm sure all of you do if you've played the game. I've never gotten that many calls in the original games. It's just annoying and makes me want to stop playing the game all together. I wish my mother would stop calling me...

I also did not like how the first pokemon in your party has to be following you, out of it's pokeball. This is not normal behavior for pokemon and I think it should have given you the option. I mean, seriously, imagine someone walking down your neighborhood/city etc with an Lugia/Ho-oh following them. The chances that the pokemon would actually obey you and follow you wherever you go is unlikely and adds more of an unrealistic look to the game. One more thing, giving a new look to an old game never turns out right. They just changed it and I know it's supposed to be a remake but I'd like it a whole lot more if they made it more like how it actually was, instead of using the latest technology for the DS. I guess I just miss the old games.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2011
    I also did not like how the first pokemon in your party has to be following you, out of it's pokeball. This is not normal behavior for pokemon and I think it should have given you the option. I mean, seriously, imagine someone walking down your neighborhood/city etc with an Lugia/Ho-oh following them. The chances that the pokemon would actually obey you and follow you wherever you go is unlikely and adds more of an unrealistic look to the game. One more thing, giving a new look to an old game never turns out right. They just changed it and I know it's supposed to be a remake but I'd like it a whole lot more if they made it more like how it actually was, instead of using the latest technology for the DS. I guess I just miss the old games.

... Go play the original Gold/Silver?

The only thing I didn't like was how lost I would get after beating the E4 for the first time. The Kanto reigion seemed boring and confusing at the same time, so I didn't even finish the game. I got around 5 of the Kanto badges and moved on.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
  • ... Go play the original Gold/Silver?

The only thing I didn't like was how lost I would get after beating the E4 for the first time. The Kanto reigion seemed boring and confusing at the same time, so I didn't even finish the game. I got around 5 of the Kanto badges and moved on.

Lol, this thread is about what we don't like about the remakes. I don't need any comments on my rage rantings, thank you. And if you had read the rest, why would I go back to the originals when I previously stated that I had disliked the phone features? I still like the games, but as I said earlier, since this topic is about the remakes I am stating what "grinds my gears"

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Team Rocket's role in HGSS really grind my gears, they should of have a bigger role in Kanto and not just that one grunt who stole the machine gear.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Just in case, as a note to above, I'll just warn you to not turn it into an argument about nostalgia or 'if you don't like it play the originals' or what-have-you bcause I see potntial for that happening, is all.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I completely agree with you, M4! The Team Rocket plot had SO much potential and they just wasted it on a foreign guy stealing a machine part then running away. Game Freak had a check of epicness on that plot and they simply refused to cash it!

Katja

Years
  • Spoiler:

There was no poffins. Also, my game is in Japanese and my vocab isn't too great, so I end up having to look up almost every word cos all of it is like weird slang words. :| But that's my fault. Also: the pokemon following is annoying.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I dislike the rematch feature. And the following Pokemon thing, only because I want them to follow me, making me unable to ride my bicycle. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • * Not being able to delete phone numbers
    * Red still hasn't figured out how a Thunderstone works
    * Mom constantly buying berries
    * No cool apps liek there are on the Poketch
    * Team Rocket, as trainers, are absolutely pathetic. Remember how awesome Cyrus' final team was in Platinum? Archer's team should have been just as tough.
    * The "first Pokemon in your party follows you" bit isn't as awesome when you constantly switch your lead Pokemon. There should be a feature where you choose which of your party Pokemon follows you, whether or not it's the lead one.
    * Leaf from FR/LG should have been the final boss.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • - I still think Lyra's character design is kind of dumb, even if it did grow on me moreso after I saw it the first time.
    - No Poketch (it was so useful! Why have the games stepped backwards after it??)
    - They changed Goldenrod's music too much and made my favourite BGM in the whole series into one that I really don't like, and not just for ruining-nostalgia reasons. It really grates on my nerves. D:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back