• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Young Vote Prevails: Marijuana now recreationally legal in Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    As long as you're open to the experience and don't take a weak dose, it'll be beyond what you're expecting. It is impossible to convey what the experience is like - it is totally ineffable. It will be different from your expectations. I know it was different from mine. Anxiety before taking psychedelics is normal. I've done them over sixty times (mostly LSD, LSD is my drug of choice) and I still get that pre-trip anxiety. It melts away after I start tripping for real though. I don't understand the notion of having to get into taking drugs frequently to trip - I started tripping almost immediately after I started smoking weed so I didn't do it that way, haha.

Using drugs frequently effectively eliminates my pre-trip anxiety. So I would want to have gotten into the groove of taking weed on the daily before taking anything else.

One day I'll do it. Hopefully soon.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2015
    As I see it this is just another way for the government to make money off people even if it contradicts what they have told people in the past. For example they said to not smoke marijuana because it was "bad", but now sense they see it as a way to profit it has become a "good" thing for the states.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    As I see it this is just another way for the government to make money off people even if it contradicts what they have told people in the past. For example they said to not smoke marijuana because it was "bad", but now sense they see it as a way to profit it has become a "good" thing for the states.
    The people are the ones who voted for it, not the government. A referendum is a direct vote by the people (and on a somewhat related note, my increasingly-dictatorial Michigan government seems to think it has the right to override a referendum). Taxes on luxury items is just par for the course. Cigarettes are similarly taxed.

mastaB_

grandmasta_flex
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    I've never heard it like that. Everything I've heard about it has been that it's a gateway drug because you try it and think "drugs aren't that bad" and thus are tempted to try something more.

That is a result of the government treating marijuana as schedule I drug. If kids do marijuana and find out it isn't that dangerous, logic dictates that other schedule I drugs can't be as dangerous as they are portrayed. The problem with using logic when it comes to the government is the fact that the government is highly illogical.

But let's say that it is a gateway drug. Removing it from the black market, and thus away from other drugs, will reduce the gateway effect to some extent simply by diminishing correlation between these things. So if you believe it is a gateway drug it makes sense to remove it from that ecosystem (the black market) and regulate it with alcohol and cigarettes. As most of us know, it was pretty easy to get weed at school. On the other hand I don't remember anybody peddling Sam Adam's for $10 a pop.

And if you don't think it is a gateway drug, wonderful, all the more reason to legalize it!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    At first I was alright about this, since marijuana is suppose to be healthier than cigarettes from past evidence, but then I watched this video about how marijuana is still dangerous, because smokes in general isn't good for your health (chimnies, camp fire, cigarettes, marijuana, etc.). We'll might as well try to find alternatives by using drugs that don't create smokes.
    Smoking isn't the only way to consume marijuana, and in fact I'm kind of in that very camp. I don't like smoking anything because I've had breathing problems in the past without smoking. On the other hand, I have no compunctions about other forms of marijuana aside from legal ramifications.

However, I don't have any problem with what other people choose to do. If they want to smoke on their own away from me, I have no problem with that. I drink in my room sometimes and it doesn't bother anyone else. It's not the healthiest thing, but I'm not hurting anyone else and I practice moderation and never do anything I shouldn't while I'm drinking. I think that's fine.

Years
    I wonder if the objection to marijuana is rooted not only constituency and social values, but that these social values tend to be stagnated by lobbying groups and subsequent, anti-marijuana campaigns?

There are multiple lobbying groups that have much to lose from the legalization of marijuana including pharmaceutical companies, cigarette companies, and the alcohol industry. And these are pretty powerful groups. On the other hand, few large, financially well off, and well-established industries have much to gain by the legalization of marijuana. (at least nothing comes to mind, aside maybe Doritos and Taco Bell's Yum Corp. :p)

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    At first I was alright about this, since marijuana is suppose to be healthier than cigarettes from past evidence, but then I watched this video about how marijuana is still dangerous, because smokes in general isn't good for your health (chimnies, camp fire, cigarettes, marijuana, etc.). We'll might as well try to find alternatives by using drugs that don't create smokes.

Pretty much as twocows posted, there are healthy alternatives to using marijuana recreationally. The harshest way is to smoke it out of a joint or unfiltered pipe. Using water pipes already lessen the amount of tar and harmful substances in the smoke. Vaporizing is probably the cleanest way to use marijuana through your lungs. Baking it into pastry is also an alternative.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

I mean, you can bake with marijuana and make edibles, and then you get the kick AND there's no smoke. Kind of a win/win.

I wish it were legal in my state, would take some of the edge of being a big tough illegal drug, and would allow it to be used for more medical use. I would love to take it for anxiety, though I would probably be that person who just makes a shit ton of pot brownies. I don't like the idea of smoking anything.

Years
    I'm wondering if the residents of Oregon and Alaska need to legalize marijuana. I think they live happily without it lol

Well it is great for the economy and some people suffer from anxiety and using cannabis can help them with that. It is also a great natural pain manager. No state NEEDS to but I think it is good for everyone if it becomes legalized and can be taxed and regulated. Why do you think "they" live happily without it? Did you take a poll and everyone said that they live happily without it?

I'm not sure what this post is supposed to be besides ignorant. Many people in Alaska and Oregon do partake so your second comment makes no sense.

Back