• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your 5 favourite Unova 'mons? (I've added descriptions to my list. yay!)

Sirfetch’d

Actually not a huge fan of a few of the Unova mons but I do have some favs!

1. Vullaby! Jellicent actually isn't my favorite Unova mon, its this little cutie :D

2. Jellicent- Love it's typing, design, gender differences, everything about it [:

3. Frillish- Same as above, I just LOVE this line so so much. I always try to use them!

4. Mandibuzz- This family really is underrated as a whole. Sure they are a version exclusive so not everyone got to use them but they are super fun and adorable

5. Reuniclus- Who couldn't love a ball of jelly with psychic powers?

Years
    As a fan of 5th Gen myself, it was very hard to make a list but here is the five I loved.

1. Oshawott line - It's expected if you know me by now. Samurai sea otters who always stayed by my side in literally every playthrough, and you know that I love Oshawott so much.

2. Litwick line - Another fave from here, thanks to its unique design and type combination. Thanks to those factors it's always been a go-to pick for my team.

3. Gothita line - The Psychic-types from this generation were so awesome, and had fun designs and strategies. This one was often a pick in most of my playthroughs, and Gothita is really cute (dem eyes hehehehe).

4. Frillish line - I loved the Ghost-types of this generation, and what better way to make one I love than combine it with my fave type? These squishy adorable jellyfish with cute crowns on top definitely nailed it.

5. Vanillite line - This poor ice cream gets so much hate for "running out of ideas" but its stats are nothing to make a joke out of, particularly Vanilluxe who is not just balanced but just as strong as Lapras on stats alone. I also found it the most reliable of the Ice-types in the game, since it was the only one available at a reasonable point (at least in the original B/W).

FluffyAltarias

Perfectly Proud Pokéfan
    Years
    After Just playing through White again, I have all the great Gen 5 Pocket Monsters fresh in my Brain! Here's My list:

5- Litwick: As much as I love Chandelure and Lampent, Litwick is just so adorable, and it being a ghost type, my second favorite type, it was love at first sight!
    4- Cincinno: Along the same reasons as litwick, Cincinno is just so dang adorable! IT'S JUST SO FLUFFY, and I love it.
    3- Crustle: So strange story, I was looking through my pokemon cards, saw a Crustle, and just decided to play through Pokemon White again. That's why I love it!
    2- Musharna: It's just so peaceful and graceful looking. Looks like it's just happily Dozing off......
    1- Reuniclus: I just raised one while playing through White, and I just grew to love it due to it's adorableness, and it powered me through a lot of the game!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Victini - it's one of the cutest Mythical Pokémon, for sure, and I'm sure you know it's my favorite Pokémon, after all, especially because it's my first Pokémon caught via Critical Capture, and also because how it's so cute in the movie!

Oshawott - D'awww, isn't it the cutest? (I agree with Ash/Satoshi on this one) It's a competent battler in its own right, and it knows many pretty good moves, as well, that I picked it most of the time as my starter Pokémon in Unova. And thanks to one of my best friend, Hikamaru, who is a big fan of it, I like it even more :)

Serperior - I personally like its royal design, which is appropriate due to it being called Regal Pokémon in the Dex.

Braviary - It's a big eagle, plus it looks majestic, I like it a lot.

Reuniclus - I personally think it's one of the best Psychic Pokémon of Gen V around, and I'm digging into its design as well.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Well, there are a few pokemon that I did indeed like quite a lot in gen 5, and one includes my favorite pokemon of all time.

1. Gothita line: I was really impressed with Gothita when I did catch it on route 5 I believe? Always used this for an item stealer. I currently use Gothorita as I like Gothorita more than I do Gothitelle.

2. Axew Line: This pokemon hit very hard indeed. One of the first dragon types that I kept right to the very end. Haxorus was indeed really powerful.

3. Vanillite Line: this pokemon also appealed to me due to it's design. I am one for ice types too, so I took this one on board. Vanilluxe really does a great job at times.

4. Tepig Line: The very FIRST fire type starter I took with me, and it did impress. Emboar turned out to be quite the formidable force indeed.

5. Litwick Line: I was NOT expecting a ghost/fire type combination. it's designs also appealed to me, plus with it being a ghost type as well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    I didn't really like any of them at first, but after awhile I warmed up to a lot of them.
    Cinccino, Whimsicott, Sawsbuck, Swanna, Hydreigon, Lilligant to name a few.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    1. Reuniclus - Ultimate favorite - he's really strong and not to mention cute as well!
    2. Chandelure - I love the typing and the concept, used one in my White 2 team, I think?
    3. Vanilluxe - Have a soft spot for Ice types, and this one is really cute and has a unique design. :3
    4. Lilligant - I love the design for this one as well!
    5. Cincinno - Particularly for the design, once again, haha. This is the only Pokemon I've never used in this list, but I still like it.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    This list is just kind of the first things that came to mind, I'm sure it'd change if I thought about it really hard.

1. Zoroark - I just really like this pokémon, I used it when I was playing White 2 for the first time and I really enjoyed it, and I really like its design because it looks like Shadow the Hedgehog and I'm the edgiest person alive.
    2. Snivy - Smugleaf for the win, that is all.
    3. Excadrill - Well, I couldn't have this list without at least one Steel-type, and Excadrill is badass so there you go.
    4. Braviary - I like this thing's design a lot, that's about it. Shame you can't really get it until the end of the game in B/W...
    5. Scraggy - It's cute as hell, and its typing is pretty cool. That's about all I can say about it.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Your 5 favourite Unova 'mons? (I've added descriptions to my list. yay!)

Honorable mentions: Liepard, Frillish, and Chandelure were close to making the list.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Hmmmm....

Lilligant is one of my favourites!
    An awesome flower who has pretty impressive artwork! Like a floral woman, ohoho. I also like it's attacks like Giga Drain, Quiver Dance, and Sleep Powder which makes it a pretty potent sweeper if maybe you attach it with Hidden Power Ground or Hidden Power Fire! I use it on my White runs when I can too. Team wouldn't feel the same without her. :')

Another favourite is good ol' Mienshao, a great Fighting type!
    I really love the artwork; like an advanced monk! It's also really fast, speed wise, and it has really strong moves like Hi-Jump Kick, or Drain Punch for recovery in-game. Regenerator for it is also amazing. Competitive wise, it makes for a great scouter, or a member of Volt-Turn cores, utilizing U-Turn! Another pokemon who I regularly use for my Pokemon White runs!

Ohh another strong favourite of mine is Volcarona.
    It's really powerful once it gets a Quiver Dance going, using moves like Fire Blast, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance, even Giga Drain from it's buff! A really strong special sweeper indeed! Love the artwork because it looks majestic-looking even as a sort of moth pokemon, colorful, and easy on the eyes too. I don't really get the chance to use one before post-game in the 5th gen games, however, because Larvesta takes too long to evolve, rugh. But when I get to, it destroys everythiiiing.

Another fav is Meloetta!
    Cool, cool and cute Meloetta. Relic Song is a cool move; can make the foe fall asleep, and it changes form! It's really a surprise when it does; it gets a boost of speed compared to the original, and Close Combat hits haaard. I don't really get much chances to use it but it still is adorable!

Last one is Audino!
    Super Audino. Super Audino is really helpful! Runnin' at the speed of sound, GOT ITSELF A SITUATION, IT'S IN A NEW LOCATION! But really, it's a blessing this thing exists cause it gives truckloads of EXP, but I also love how happy and sweet it looks; it's like.. the caretaker of pokemon, alongside Chansey and Blissey! Hadn't used it much in battle before, but I do admire it's talents. :]

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    Unova was unfortunately homw for a lot of underwhelming Pokemon that i struggle to even remember sometimes. That being said there a few that i do like.

Pignite is one of my favorite middle evolutions and its dual type of Fighting is fantastic to me with that type being one of my favorites. Too bad Emboar was such a letdown. I had such high hopes for Pignite when he evolved. might refrain from evolving him next time, who knows haha

Another of my favorite middle evolutions of my favorite line overall in this game. Mainly love it for its design and how sleek it looks. Other than that, i don't really have any other reasons for liking it haha

Scolipede is just an awesome Pokemon. My familiarity of it stems from competitive battling and its ability speed boost. Many times it has come in pretty clutch with that ability and high attack.

Cobalion is one of my favorite legendaries. This stems from its design, the fun in trying to find it, its role in its movie and the move Sacred Sword. I feel that that sums it up nicely haha

LAstly, Garbodor is another Pokemon that has really grown on me. Poison types in general have but especially Garbodor. This mainly comes from seeing ROxie's battle in the anime. I really was able to see how powerful it is and its use. I also personally love the design. I think its clever to have a trash Pokemon. Sorta cute in a way haha

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
    1) Bisharp

Appearance-wise, I shouldn't have to explain. But battle-wise Bisharp is a monster that can Sucker Punch like a train. Y'know... If a train could Sucker Punch.
    2) Krookodile

He's Ground-type, for one. That gives him extra points. But he's a really cool looking Pokémon overall.
    3) Minccino

Two words. Skill. Link. In terms of looks, Minccino doesn't look that bad, but that ability makes it into one of the most fun Pokémon to use.
    4) Chandelure

Some people complain that there is a lamp Pokémon, yet I really like this design for some reason.
    5) Ferrothorn

This is a giant spiked, iron, grassy ball of death. Grass is my other favorite type. This also resonates with me. It also helps that Iron Barbs is also a really fun ability to have.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Oh boy, there's quite a lot, but I'll choose my cute favorite ones.

1. Minccino
    2. Oshawott
    3. Emolga
    4. Lilligant
    5. Meloetta

I only used Oshawott and its evolutionary line and the Petilil line though.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    1. Lilligant - In the conversation for my favourite Pokemon in the entire series. My Lilligant Jessica was the Ace of my team in my Grass Unova Monotype. It had Chlorophyll as her ability which doubled her speed. The Flowering Pokemon has Own Tempo as her other ability which combined with Petal Dance makes for a deadly combination. I love her design too.

2. Whimsicott - Quite possibly the cutest Pokemon ever. Her Prankster Ability is great fun to use and helped me win many battles.

3. Gothitelle - No Gardevoir, No Problem? I really like the design here and her Hidden Ability Shadow Tag is fun to use. Hopefully she gets a Mega one day.

4. Oshawott - My favourite of the three starters. He is ridiculously cute and in my Black run was my go-to Pokemon.

5. Golurk - It's the Iron Giant in Pokémon form. My first ever Shiny and have you ever tried flying on it?

Years
    1) Braviary

I love birds of prey, and Braviary is one of my favourite Pokémon of all time. His design is awesome, and he's not bad in battle either. It's just a shame that Defiant doesn't kick in when you use Superpower — Braviary would be deadly. Oh, and I love his shiny form. I want one.

2) Stoutland

When I first played Pokémon White, I kept my Lillipup in my party for the whole game. I thought Lillipup was adorable, and Herdier looked pretty cool — and when she evolved again, my first thought was how much her Pokédex entry reminded me of my own dogs. The Big-Hearted Pokémon? Rescues people from water? Big and shaggy? Stoutland is like a cross between a St Bernard and a Newfoundland, and I love it for it.

3) Sigilyph

Whenever I play through a Pokémon game, there are a few Pokémon types I always have on my team, one of them being a Flying-type. By the time I got to Nimbasa City on White, I still hadn't found a Flying-type that I wanted to use. That was, until I battled N at the Ferris Wheel and faced his Sigilyph. It looked weird, for sure, but it was surprisingly resilient, and I decided that it might be a good addition to my team. I was lucky enough that the one I found at the Desert Resort had a modest nature and the ability Magic Guard, and she did a fantastic job through the whole game. Such a good job, in fact, that I ended up using Sigilyph again in Black 2 — N's, in fact, bringing things full circle. Funny how these things work out.

4) Dwebble and Crustle

Speaking of Black 2, a surprise encounter led me to a Pokémon I might not have used otherwise. While grinding for Elesa on Route 4, I decided to head to the Desert Resort. "That'll work," I thought. "Zuzu [my Azumarill] will like it there, with the Ground- and Fire-types; maybe I'll find N's Darumaka this time. Oh, here's a Pokémon now, maybe this is— no, it's a Dwebble... Wait." Out of nowhere, I'd found a shiny Dwebble; I named him Malach, and he immediately joined my team.

Malach quickly became one of my favourite team members, and thus Crustle one of my favourite Pokémon. He was the linchpin of my strategy for fighting Ghetsis, laying down Stealth Rock right off the bat. I really should transfer him up to Gen VI...

5) Tepig, Pignite and Emboar

Finally, we have the Tepig line. I have to admit, another Fire/Fighting type starter line annoyed me a little, but using Emboar throughout my playthrough of White was nothing short of awesome. Firstly, Tepig is completely adorable; secondly, my Emboar was the reason I was able to defeat Ghetsis. That Hydreigon of his took out four members of my team — Simisage, Zekrom, Sigilyph and Samurott — and only didn't knock out Stoutland because I refused to send her in against it. Emboar somehow withstood a Surf with half his HP left, and then smashed the nasty dragon with Brick Break before stomping Ghetsis's Bisharp and Eelektross. Without Emboar, I probably would have lost that battle. Recently I bred a competitive Tepig, and I named him Emmett, after my Emboar from White.

Back