• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your computer OS

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What kind of OS do you currently have on your computer--Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome, or something else? Are you satisfied with it? If not, then which operating system would you actually like switching to? Also, if you're a Linux user, what distro are you using right now, and which is your most favorite?

Years
    I'm currently using OS X, but I had Windows 7 on my Macbook before for gaming purposes :P That was pretty much the only reason I installed it and then removed it not too long ago. Honestly, I like OS X because of it's simple user interface, but also Win 7 because you're able to customize it to your liking with themes, and that was another factor for using that OS.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just keep Windows on all the PCs I use. The Toshiba laptop I'm using is still running Windows 7 SP1 despite me having a spare upgrade licence (from the early upgrade offer) to Windows 8.x because of driver issues.

As for the Surface, it's running Windows RT 8.1, and it runs pretty well.

There's also an Ubuntu Linux 13.x virtual machine configured on the laptop, too.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    Good ol' Windows 7. It's very reliable. If I get an extra hard drive soon I'll probably install a virtual machine with ubuntu, though.

Years
    I'm running Windows 8.1 on my current laptop. I still think I would like the Windows 8 interface if it was confined to a tablet or something, but it just seems awkward on a computer, and I would've much rather had Windows 7 if given the choice. I never realized how much I would miss the Start menu until it was gone, since I much preferred finding programs that way rather than cluttering the desktop or my taskbar with them.

Years
    Both my desktop and laptop are running Windows 7 SP1. I enjoy using Windows 7 everyday and it was quite the excitement for me when I jumped from using XP on a daily basis up to Windows 7 as well a year ago.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
    Chrome is not an OS as far as I am aware of, lol.

I use Windows 7, though I want a netbook/tablet thingy with Windows 8.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I run Windows 8 on my laptop and I've customized it quite a bit so it runs so well, even better than 7 ever did on this thing. I went from 7 to 8 because I was starting to have a ton of little problems that needed a re-install to fix. Since I was going to re-install anyway, I decided to give 8 a shot and I'm glad I did.

My desktop is running Linux Mint 16 Petra and it's as smooth as silk. I absolutely love it <3 It's based off Ubuntu, btw.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    Windows 7 on my laptop. I've used Windows 8 enough to have an unbiased opinion and I prefer Windows 7. Windows 7 is very reliable and on Windows 8 I'm just in desktop mode all of the time since I don't really have any desire to use all of the "windows".

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Believe it or not, there is such as thing as Chrome OS, and it's based off of the open-source Chromium OS, such as how the browser Chrome is based off of the open-source browser known as Chromium. The OS itself is just mainly a browser with internet apps.
    Is anyone actually using it, though...?
    I believe that people most likely bought it because of low price of Chromebooks but is there actually anyone who actively uses Chrome OS?
    I kinda liked the concept but being pretty much online 100% (not that I'm not xD) to make use of OS is kinda overkill...

Guest123_x1

All but one of my computers are running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-including my main laptop, my spare desktop (which I upgraded from XP), and another desktop which I set up primarily for my mom to use and learn computer skills on. My oldest machine, however, runs Windows 95 OSR2, which I occasionally run just for the nostalgia. My laptop also has a Lubuntu (a lighter variant of Ubuntu, which I had previously used on my spare desktop in dual-boot with XP, before upgrading to Win7) virtual machine in VirtualBox, as well as VMs for Windows 2000, XP, and NT 4.0, the 2000 and XP ones I use primarily for running older applications not supported by x64 Windows 7.
    If it weren't for some of the proprietary (Windows-only) software packages and devices that I have, I'd probably have an all-Linux fleet.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    On my new laptop, I have Windows 7. It came with 8, but downgraded it as I didn't like its interface; it's so tablet-like. :( On my older one, which I'm using right now to type this post, I have Ubuntu 13.04. Was planning to upgrade to 13.10, but always kept forgetting. Will get it done by the end of this month, probably. Finally, on my iBook, I have OS X Leopard.

Years
    OS X on my MacBook. I had Windows 7 on my old computer I had in 2010 before I got this one. And I do like it, but there are things I miss about Windows at the same time. I find the MacBook's interface is pretty convenient, though.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
    Believe it or not, there is such as thing as Chrome OS, and it's based off of the open-source Chromium OS, such as how the browser Chrome is based off of the open-source browser known as Chromium. The OS itself is just mainly a browser with internet apps.

Huh. So there is. The more you know.

Back