• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favorite Generation of Pokemon Games

Your Favorite Generation of Pokemon Games

• Generation I (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Generation II (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/LeafGreen/FireRed)

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Generation IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Generation V (Black/White)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    My favorite Generation would be Generation 2. Silver is my most favorite game, and I enjoy it a lot...more than the recent Soulsilver. Back then we didn't have to deal with extra evolutions, or abilities or any of the stuff Soulsilver has that Silver didn't have. I'm better off with simplicity.

Years
    I was a little conflicted in this one, since I haven't any of the Gen V games, and only HG in Gen IV but here are my rankings:

Generation III - This was my favorite because I spent the most time playing this generation of games, and I loved the remakes because it added more and improved on the original story. I also wasn't a big fan of Hoenn at first, but the more I played, the more I got accustomed the region. That, and nothing beats the original Battle Frontier in Emerald!

Generation I - Pokemon Yellow was the first game that I played in the series, and it hooked me in. Even though the games seem primitive compared to what we have now, there's no doubting that they were (and still are) excellent games.

Generation IV - Even though I've only owned Heart Gold, I decided to rank this ahead of Gen II. I love the updates made in the remakes, as it puts a brand-new spin on the old games. I've also only played for a limited amount of time on D/P/Pt, but I do like the storyline, and hope to pick up one of these games soon.

Generation II - Just like in Generation I's case, the remakes make the original games almost seem primitive in comparison. I did really enjoy Gold growing up though, but I was dissappointed that much of Kanto was unlike what we found in the original games (I'm glad things like the Safari Zone and Viridian Forest were returned for Gen IV)

Generation V - The only reason I have this here is because I have yet to play the games. I could see this jumping over Generation II on my list if I enjoy the games, but it would really have to wow me to get much higher on the list (unless the R/S/E remakes do in fact come out for Gen V, then I might have to re-think my list!).

Years
    In order from worst to best...

V - This was a generation too far, the new pokemon are almost universally badly designed (why the heck would they design a rubbish bag and a hoody pokemon??) and it just didn't feel that good to play either. I did like N, he was a huge credit to the generation, and the higher interaction with the gym leaders was good too. The castle at the end was great. But Team Plasma had terrible designs and didn't at all fit with the game's setting... But yeah, all in all, the only good thing about this generation was N and his story.
    III - Pretty decent all around, but not really that fun to play too many times. Sapphire is a great game, but gets pretty boring and samey after completing it the third time... A remake of this generation would be amazing! FireRed/LeafGreen were also pretty good, loved the islands too, I just missed the Gen IV pokemon whilst playing it...
    I - Great games, a wonderful start! Based on the time they were created they were unique, revolutionary and so much fun! Yellow was even better having that cutie pie Pikachu follow you around everywhere! The only real problems with the games is that everything was so slow and there weren't that many choices to make. Other than that, they were amazing!
    II - These were brilliant. Absolutely amazing games, so intuitive and you never ran out of things to do. The bug catching contest was so much fun and all the new pokemon were brilliant fun to catch! Got some really interesting things introduced such as the Unown, some great new Gym Leaders, some cool new legendarys and even two new types! In all, it was a brilliant generation faulted only by the speed of play and slightly by the graphics (though they do add charm!)
    IV - Best generation of all. Diamond and Pearl are certainly my favourite games, the Sinnoh region is very interesting and fun to explore with the best pokemon ever introduced! Most of my favourite pokemon come from this generation and the characters/story is great too! Team Galactic don't get annoying like the other bad teams and the whole game feels so much fun to play! The best starters ever, too! And HeartGold... What a game. There is barely anything to fault about that game bar Team Rocket becoming pretty tedious, but it's still a great game! Made even better by the addition of the Sinnoh pokemon and the pokeathlon. The game is simply brilliant. All in all a faultless generation.

I see you're another hater of Unova Pokemon...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Tough one. It's a tie between Gens III, IV and V. But I voted for Gen III because it was the first generation I played.

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
    Honestly Unova only brings Graphics and Battle Mechanics of good, imo. Pokémon are not that good... This is why I played Black once, finished the game and stoped. The storyline is ok, but when you need to see Pokémon you don't like it's just bad.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I made this from the least to the most. Keep in mind that Generation I is placed special in my heart so normal order will not work for them. And 'Least' doesn't mean its the worst.

Generation I - I placed this generation as the special one mainly because the fact that this is the generation who started this all. The Pokemon looks good, maybe because there aren't any pokemon to compare to begin with. And their team recket are the only criminal team that doing criminal thing for the sake of profit.
    I admit there are lacks in the story, graphic, and tons of bug. But I must remind you that this is mainly because technological limitation. Satoshi Tajiri and Co. starved themselves for the creation of this generation. No matter how unoriginal some generation I pokemon look, I'll never call them 'uncreative' just to fend off raging nostalgiafans.

Now, the real order start
    Generation V- I must say Generation V is my least favorite. Mainly because there are many polar opposite of many things. Before post-story there are many things to do mainly because the story, but after post-story, there isn't anything left worth to do. Some of the gym leader have terrific design, namely Burgh, and Lenora. On the other hands, there are some gym leaders with horrendous design, namely Skyla, and Brycen. The same also goes with the pokemon. There are pokemon with great design while the other are to horrible. These polar opposites prevent me to place it not int the least category. The story itself is good, but the overhyped reputation and the overrated character, N, prevent it to help itself. And the fact that many features from HGSS are not present makes me even more disappointed. At least, if it contain the elements from HGSS, Gen V will be placed more atop. Maybe if the remake of R/S/E or Grey really coming and satisfying enough, Gen V might be placed on top.

Generation II- Alhtough this generation are closely linked with the generation I that I loved, personally myself doesn't have many memories with this generation except how much I admired the famed Pokemon Suzaku, Ho-Oh. Other than that, I don't do much everything with gen II but it at least didn't disappoint me since it have many new features introduced namely breeding.

Generation IV- This generation save itself because the existence of HGSS. The fact is many of original content from Gen IV looks terrible. In pokemon department, many of their design are to ridiculous as well as their cry. The protagonist costume before the release of Platinum are also look terrible. But I must admit that Pokeapps have some useful tool like step counter, and the great potential of the story although have some lacking in many part, I take it as positive point of Gen IV. HGSS, the remake of classic GSC are the one that make this to the second top. There are so many improvement in this game. The new UI are really convenient. the "Follow Me" feature atlhough it is unnecessary, still a great addition. The remixes of the music sounds perfect. I even dare to says that the music in HGSS are the best in the series so far. And what I most like is the redesigned gym leader and the four executives. Many of the gym leaders have terrific design now, namely Morty, Pryce, Jasmine, Blaine and Green. Archer, Petrel, Ariana, and Proton also looks very good. The thing that HGSS lack is, the story. The story are still lacking like the previous game did.

Generation III- Originally this generation gonna be my least favorite, But after saw through all of Hoenn Pokemon, this generation so far offer the best Pokemon(Or the most fitted with my vision of pokemon). In term of design, some of them have good mix of realism, and not too cartoonish either. There aren't hardly any pokemon that looks too ridiculous. Their cry also seems perfect blend of pokemon-ish cry with real animal sound. Not like the future generation that sounds too realistic and past generation that sounds too....'8-bit' maybe? They also the first generation to introduce 2 criminal team at once with one similar goal or motivation: Eco-terrorism via legendary pokemon exploit. Although the potential is kinda wasted with regular bland story of the story. And there are Pokemon Contest, the side game which I like most after pokeathlon, get introduced. Also Battle Frontier introduced in this generation.
    Here I also got my remake of generation I, FRLG! The remake really improve everything that generation I and R/S lack for. Although the story department still lacking. There are many radical change in Generation III(namely R/S/E), actually. Whether its mechanic, pokemon, or the story. It's too radical that maybe the pokemon fans are not ready for this scale of change. Again.

Years
    Generation II, Johto.

I love Johto. I love the Pokemon designs and region designs. I also love how you can travel to Kanto, my second favorite region.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    It wasn't hard for me to pick lol Gen III without question is the one I enjoyed the most and I still do on emulators. I loved the Gen I remakes and the Hoenn Region.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    Generation I > Generation V > Generation III > Generation II > Generation IV.

I didn't like Sinnoh, but I'll always love Kanto and Unova. <3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Normally, I'd say that gen IV was a dud for me, but Platinum and HGSS redeemed it. I personally don't hate any generation, but my favorites are gens II, III, and V. ...Yeah shut up, that's like majority of generations lol. But I can sit and play gen II games for hours on end, gen III never gets old, and gen V has Petilil and is just...very bright and eye appealing. The battles are just really exciting for me. When I think about playing BW, the first thought in my head is always the battle screen. But of course, this isn't to say I hate gens I and IV. You get my point okay. :( imma luver notta h8r xoxo

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    V - I loved Unova, everything about it.
    II - Crystal was my second favorite game, and the nostalgia is great in that generation.
    I - So simple and nice.
    III - I had started falling out of Pokemon by then, never finished Sapphire and didn't have FR/LG.
    IV - I hated Pearl intensely, and couldn't finish Heartgold. If I separated out HG/SS, it would rank higher on its own though.

I agree with everything Toujours has said, except for the fact that I finished HG, I finished Sapphire, had LG and hated it.

Haven't read through any of the other anti-V posts. :(

Years

I agree with everything Toujours has said, except for the fact that I finished HG, I finished Sapphire, had LG and hated it.

Well Forever (Nica) I did see a lot of Gen V haters. Most of them hated the Pokemon. Well, I support Unova Pokemon as I am playing Black soon!

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    gen II, definitely. followed closely by gen I and gen III. i haven't really finished playing through the gen IV and V games, although i thought that they really didn't introduce anything new to the storyline (aside from new pokemon of course).

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013

I'm think myself as part of that 'anti-V' post since I put Gen V at the top of my list(Which mean its the least favorite). I wait your respond if you really did read my wall of text!:)

Back