• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favorite Japanese food?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Short Version:
    What are your favorite Japanese foods? I was hoping to find some new things to try when I visit Japan in a couple years.

Long Version:
    I'm planning on going to Japan through my college's exchange program in a couple years, and am wondering if there are any Japanese foods that I would actually like. I've watched all of cookingwithdog, and runnyrunny999's videos, to see if they ever make anything that looks good to me, and I honestly found nothing. This is mostly because I dislike sauces in general, and I hate it when things are so mixed together that I can't tell what I'm eating anymore... both of which, they love to do. (Also, a lot of the things they make are either fried, or otherwise unhealthy, which I would like to stay away from.) I'm thinking maybe if I ask the masses what their favorite Japanese foods are, something might stand out to me though.

Zet

Years
    Short Version:
    What are your favorite Japanese foods? I was hoping to find some new things to try when I visit Japan in a couple years.

Long Version:
    I'm planning on going to Japan through my college's exchange program in a couple years, and am wondering if there are any Japanese foods that I would actually like. I've watched all of cookingwithdog, and runnyrunny999's videos, to see if they ever make anything that looks good to me, and I honestly found nothing. This is mostly because I dislike sauces in general, and I hate it when things are so mixed together that I can't tell what I'm eating anymore... both of which, they love to do. (Also, a lot of the things they make are either fried, or otherwise unhealthy, which I would like to stay away from.) I'm thinking maybe if I ask the masses what their favorite Japanese foods are, something might stand out to me though.
    Contrary to popular belief, not everything that is fried is unhealthy.

As for my fav Japanese food, it is probably sushi.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Anything cooked in a teriyaki style is good for me. Chicken, beef, lamb, fish... all taste wonderful when they've been teriyaki'd up to the max!

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    What are your favorite Japanese foods?

- Sushi
    - Noodles
    - Sashimi
    - Shabu-Shabu (Iz that how you spell it? :S)
    - Fish
    - Rice
    etc.

I love them all. :3
    -nom nom nom-

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I've never tried Japanese food but I'd really like too.

Yeah, same here. Only thing I've ever had was "Chinese" food, which I suppose is a bit like it? I'd love to try some, legit, Japanese food at some point.

Years
    I like a lot of my food mixed up. Since you don't I'll just mention other types. Here are some meal-type foods that you can get in restaurants:

Donburi: It's a bowl of rice with something on top. That's all. Could be meat, fish, veggies, etc. Very common, very simple, but usually filling because of the rice.

Soup Curry: It's sort of like mixing things together so maybe you won't like it. It's a curry-like soup broth so it's a little spicy and in it are a bunch of veggies (which will probably depend on where and when you order it, but I remember always seeing okra, potato, carrot, and pumpkin included). Usually has some rice on the side. Very very tasty. I think it's a regional thing in Hokkaido though, so you might not find it easily outside of there.

Yakiniku: I don't actually like this because I'm vegetarian, but other people seem to like it and it's a pretty simple meal. Your table has a kind of grill in the center and they bring you your meat raw and you just slap it on the grill piece by piece until you're happy with how it's cooked. Sauces are optional.

Other tasty things you can get in Japan are anman (azuki beans/paste filled buns), daifuku (a mochi ball with more azuki bean/paste), and just mochi itself is good. I also think you should try out the different flavors of things you can find elsewhere, like sodas (melon flavor is great) and soft cream (sesame flavored is surprisingly good).

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
    Onigiri is an awesome snack food. Sushi too. Cold noodles are also pretty epic.

I wish I could try an okinomiyaki- I'm going to a Japanese restaurant next week so I'll try it there if they have them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The only Japanese food I eat is Sushi. I can hardly get any other kind of Japanise food where I live.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Hnnng. Seafood udon (in soup) has been my favourite as of late. Japanese food is probably my favourite type of cuisine and I try to have something new whenever I'm at a Japanese restaurant, but I always find myself coming back to udon lately. :3 I really love tempura and most of the basic sushi, too. And quite often sushi comes back into play as my favourite thing to have when I'm out at a JP restaurant but for now it's the udon.

It's been a while since I've had anything Japanese though. Hope I get a chance soon!

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Hm, I would say sushi but I get a little sick of it because my dad owns a sushi restaurant. Right now, I am very fond of dangos, I can't get my hands on them enough. Also love riceballs and soba noodles.

cookingwithdog's channel is amazing. Makes me hungry every time I go there. :D

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Hm, I would say sushi but I get a little sick of it because my dad owns a sushi restaurant. Right now, I am very fond of dangos, I can't get my hands on them enough. Also love riceballs and soba noodles.

cookingwithdog's channel is amazing. Makes me hungry every time I go there. :D
    Dango eh?

I hear that Ketchup Dango is pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmnJLBA98_o#t=5m16s

lol

Years
    My favorite would have to be he various incarnations of Sushi - Nagiri, Sashimi, Tempura, etc. We're getting a giant Sushi tray appetizer for my Birthday, I'm reeeaaaalllyy happy about that. :D

Back