• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favorite Pokemon Hacks - Tell Us Why You Love Them

What do you like to see in Pokemon Hacks?

• Total voters

MayanMan2012

Pokemon Dawn/Dusk: Coming Soon
Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2014
    Everyone here likes hacks. We just want to know why you like them.

I've always considered myself a people's person, so I want to make a hack to please everyone. All you have to do to help me and my team is tell us what you love about hacks, so there can be one great hack that incorporates your interests.

Thanks for any comments you can give, and if you can, please vote in our poll.

~MayanMan

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I voted for a couple. However, I think I'll just explain why I voted for some and not for others.

1. I voted for this because I am assuming that this is referring to well sprited, and balanced Fakemon. If you can make a sprite that can make those standards, I see no reason not to implement them.

2. I voted for this. Honestly, I can't say I like revisiting regions, especially if there is no new towns or any changes at all. Plus, having a new region gives you much more freedom for land diversity.

3. I don't find new types necessary. If you ask me, it just creates balance issues.

4. I also don't really find new attacks necessary.

5. Although I do appreciate a story that doesn't need, or have, the Gyms to move the story. But if everyone defied the Nintendo style, it would get boring. Plus, a good story can be made with Gyms. I just have more respect for those who do without them.

6. Elaborate story lines are absolutely required. Pokemon is an RPG, and one of its characteristics is the story. Even disregarding the genre, there is no reason to play a game with a bad story. (Unless if its a game like Mario where its supposed to be story-less and just mind-numbingly fun.)

7. I like apocalyptic themes, but if everyone did it it would become boring quickly.

8. I don't really like multiple regions. Why? Because most of the time it just ends up with the individual regions not being detailed.

9. I haven't seen too many hacks with easter eggs, but I do love to have a bit of humor here and there. Even if you are going with a super-serious hack, I don't see anything wrong with hidden bits of humor.

10. Twist endings can go either way. I don't like them most of the time unless they are really good twists. Unfortunately, it is incredibly hard to make a truly good twist.

11. Myths and legends can also go either way. They can either be really bad and illogical, which they normally are, or really good.

12. Despite how hard they are to make, implement, and beat, I love trainers that take strategies to beat.

13. I have no idea what is meant by "movies".

14-18. I doesn't matter. There are Pokemon from each reason that I like and don't like.

19. Custom map titles aren't required to be good. However, most of the time they help. But, tiles can often times be impeccably bad.

20. Since I do like hacks that go against Nintendo style time and time again, feeling like a real Pokemon game doesn't mean it will be good. There are plenty of horrible hacks out there that perfectly follow the Nintendo style.

21. In-game tournaments are a feature I have not seen much of, but would like to see much more of.

22. Returning characters, I don't like. Most of the time their character is completely changed and broken anyways. Either that or their character stays exactly the same but was already bland in the first place.

23. Traitor characters can go either way. There are just as many bad traitor stories as there is good.

24. Various terrains is a must for me. Who really wants to see nothing but forests and grass an entire game?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I'll just steal what Hacker up there did, but only for the points I have anything important to say on:

1. New Pokemon. I'm more neutral on this than anything, so I can't call it my "favourite" thing to be in a hack. As long as they're good, Pokemon-esque and sprited in a Nintendo style, I don't mind.

2. Old regions get boring really fast. It also makes you look lazy when you reuse maps, too, so, really, a new region is quite important.

5. It's not really Pokemon without gyms and the Pokemon league. It's a storyline with Pokemon dumped on it.

6. Stories are needed, ja, but I'm not so sure about elaborate. Well, actually, most stories are elaborate, for a given measure of elaborate. I think Pokemon Black/White is about the cap in terms of story. That game had a nice one which lasted a while.

7. No.

8. GSC were the only Pokemon games that actually had multiple regions. Kanto was poorly done, empty and all round dead and Nintendo haven't gone back since. I think that's all that needs to be said, really.

9. Easter eggs are great.

10. See no. 6. Twist endings are not necessary imo.

12. Not everywhere. The common Joe trainer should remain stupid, have six level 14 Wurmples and be good for training on. Some trainers later in the game (ie. when the ACE trainers arrive) could be like that, but I think the better strategical trainers should be in high places (ie. gyms)

13. Never seen a custom one, doubt I ever will.

19. Generally no. Most tiles are ffuuuugly.

20. Feeling like a real Pokemon game is quite important, really. Why would I play a Pokemon hack if it turns into Final Fantasy? Not that FF is bad, but I'm playing a Pokemon hack because I want to play Pokemon, so it should BE Pokemon, not some other game with Pokemon in it.

21. Once again, never seen one pulled off properly. Would be wonderful if someone could, but most people don't have the ability.

22. Returning characters are kinda meh. Unless it's a minor/major cameo type thing a la Jasmine in DPPt or Cynthia in BW respectively, they are often done badly. Most ROM Hackers, funnily enough, aren't brilliant writers and the returning characters end up somewhat out of character and things go awry.

24. Ehh I don't get this one.

Now that that's done, I want to point out my surprise, disappointment and some level of dismay that the community so far values good trainers over storyline, scripts, maps, graphics; over, well, everything. Seriously? Get your priorities straight, lol. Pokemon hasn't ever been and still isn't meant to be a particularly hard game. If you want to get a massive challenge, go play Batttletoads lol.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • In addition to the things I voted for, I always love to see new music. Even if it's "new" in the sense that it was ripped and/or remixed from another game, it's still a refreshing change of pace.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2014
    New Pokemon: Bleh. I don't even like the new ones GameFreak comes up with. I'll admit that I don't spend much time scouting out fakemon to see how good they can be, but unless the pokemon is doing something really cool that no other pokemon has done yet, I don't see a need for new pokemon. There are quite a darn few already.

New Region: I like maps that are new. I don't think this necessarily means that it has to be based on a new region although most revamps of previous regions I've seen aren't very different from their originals. The problem that can come with a new region is that it can seem very derivative and often times blatantly ripped off of older regions. Even GameFreak does this and I was already sick of seeing the same types of maps and the same types of characters with the third generation.

New Types: I commend GameFreak for balancing the types so well in the second generation. I see no reason to screw with that formula, but I suppose it would be possible to make it work.

New Attacks: New attacks I think can be really cool as long as they're unique. The same goes for changing movesets and damage and effects for existing attacks. I feel like a lot of the moves are generic or derivative. For example, Quick Attack used to be the only move with priority. In second generation they added Mach Punch and Extremespeed which were kinda interesting because Quick Attack wasn't very strong, but now we have more priority moves than I even keep track of anymore.

No Gyms or Pokemon League: I like trying new things, but that doesn't mean a hacker has to be preoccupied with throwing gyms out the window. It really depends on the nature of the game and whether gyms contribute to the presentation and overall feel and meaning of the game.

Elaborate Storylines: This, in my opinion, separates good RPGs from bad ones. The lack of this in GameFreak's pokemon games is why I don't really get excited about them anymore. Storyline is what motivates me and gives me a reason to play the game. Without that, it's just a series of battles that are either too easy, or need too much grinding to beat thrown together with a series of fetch quests.

Apocalyptic Themes: This idea can be good if the game is based around it, but it doesn't necessarily make a hack good or bad.

Multiple Regions: This is also somewhat irrelevant. If you have good maps, I don't care how many regions they cover.

Easter Eggs: Meh.

Twist Endings: I generally like twists in any story, but they can be really hard to pull off. Anyway, I like good storylines more than any specific story device.

Myths and Legends: These are often cliched and cheesy. I always find cliches to be a shame but I really can't help it if the story just feels so familiar.

Smart Trainers that Actually Take Strategy to Beat: This is really a big deal. I hate grinding and pointless or repetitive battles, especially in a hack. I'd rather just have a series of 'event' battles with no random trainer battles at all than routes that are spammed up and down with trainers that have one or two pokemon.

In-Game "Movies": I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you're talking about scripted events than I think they're essential for any good storyline. If you're talking actual movies then I'm not sure how that is possible to achieve with a hack.

Pokemon from Kanto: F yeah!

Pokemon from Johto: F yeah!

Pokemon from Hoenn: F meh!

Pokemon from Sinnoh: F bleh!

Pokemon from Unova: F no!

Custom Map Tiles: They're good if done well, and not if done poorly. I think they can be really useful for making something look new and fresh. I don't always care for hacks that feel like their original games.

Games that Feel like Real Pokemon Games: I don't see a point to these. The real pokemon games are so repetitive as it is. I like games with imagination. At least try something new that GameFreak hasn't. As much as I find GameFreak to be an inferior game developer, I still feel that any hacker trying to use their formula would ultimately result in something inferior to GameFreak itself. I enjoy hacks because I dislike current pokemon games, so I have no interest in those that seek to be like them.

In-Game Tournaments: The reason I often enjoy these is because they generally lead to more challenging battles that might actually take some thought and prediction. They can be nice for a change of pace, but they get old quickly.

Returning Characters: I can go either way on this depending on how the overall story is.

Traitor Characters: Again, I can go either way on this depending on how the overall story is.

Various Terrains: I think it would possibly be very boring to spend all that game time focused on one terrain.

Anything Else: Yes, I do have something else. I think hackers have a great opportunity to take advantage of a lot of work that's already been done and ideas that have been set forth to create something really incredible. I know I've ragged on GameFreak a lot in this post, but I do give them a lot of credit for starting Pokemon. It's just that I believe after the metal generation, they really dropped the ball. While Gold and Silver felt like a great leap forward, Ruby and Sapphire felt like an awkward step sideward. There was a lot that was eliminated from those games and I felt what they replaced it with wasn't always better, but at the same time the game still tried to be just like the originals. It felt like a mockery. They even went so far as to eliminate most of my favorite pokemon. Because of that, I actually resented most of the Hoenn pokemon until I played Colosseum. That game is probably the only reason I'm still interested in pokemon now. It was just the thing I needed, a nice refreshing change of pace that brought back a lot of my favorite pokemon that I thought I had lost. In fact, I was able to ignore most of its shortcomings in my first playthrough because of just how unique and interesting it was. Even now, Colosseum is a game I would love to be able to remake because it has so much potential. Unfortunately, XD ruined everything. The point is, though, that a short little niche game like Colesseum ended up being much more enjoyable for me than GameFreak's latest revamp of the classic pokemon adventure. And that's what I think hackers are able to accomplish. They might not have the same resources as a full-fledged gaming company, but with creativity and risk-taking, they can create something far better. That's the kind of hacker that I would hope to be.

MayanMan2012

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2014
    Guys truly thanks alot for all the comments and votes. I want to start working on the game now, so I'll explain how I decide what gets in. Pretty basic, you must have at least half of the people voting for it (if it is an odd number, round down from the decimal), ormmust be strongly encouraged in the form of a post.

~MayanMan

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • The best hack is Ashgrey: reallly amazing story like the series.. and shinygold because it reaallly exating and stroong

ipatix

Sound Expert
    Years
  • I want to see new music , custom map tiles, new regions, and all the pokemons of the third generation...

But a hack should only contain new music if it sounds good (like the original bgms) and if the music does fit to pokemon games...

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2011
    I strongly do not think you should have custom tiles. When hackers have them it just turns out bad or clutters up the atmosphere of the game.

You should definitely have hoenn pokemon, and only a few fakemon legendaries, but only if they don't look like pixelized crap.

Don't think I'm a noob cause I just joined. I'm from Pe2k, where there is another hacking area, so my advice is legit.

MayanMan2012

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2014
    Okay, at this point the posts and poll have shown me this.

I will still check up here to see if there are any major changes, but it looks like these are the most wanted traits, tell me if you agree:

1. Smart Trainers that Actually take Strategy to Beat
    2. New Region
    3. Games that feel like Real Pokemon Games
    4. Pokemon from Johto
    5. "Easter Eggs"
    6. Pokemon from Hoenn
    7. Elaborate Storylines
    8. Various terrains
    9. Pokemon from Kanto
    10. In-Game Tournaments

Thanks for all the help, and this thread should be kept open in case anyone else ever needs a public opinion. I'll also monitor what's happening, as I had said before.

Thanks again
    ~Mayan

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I don't really think smart trainers are the most wanted thing, I just think that they are the topic that is most agreed upon. But that's just what I believe.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Um... I really don't think that's how it works. You should probably separate the "major" changes and things from the "minor" changes and things. Basically, if you can tweak a game into having a thing, it's minor. Thus the lists, in order of popularity;

Major: new region, games that feel like Pokemon games, elaborate stories, various terrains and in-game tourneys

Minor: smart trainers, Johto Pokemon, 'easter eggs', Hoenn Pokemon, Kanto Pokemon

PL4Y3R

Head of Pokemon Wild
    Years
  • Yeah I agree with Ninja Caterpie because I don't think people really really want to have to plan out every single detail of a battle every time they sit down to play, I think people just in general find that having to use their brains a little when playing pokemon a plus to downloading a hack.

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • Ultimately a hack needs:
    Quality, Originality, Creativity, and Presentation.
    Quality:
    No bugs. No grammar / misspellings.
    You can tell that time was spent on the maps and scripts / storylines /etc.
    Originality:
    Did you just change a few names, do some bug fixes and feature-crawl ( look it up )? { those are bad things }. Or did you come up with a great new idea, and spend the time to implement it ( like ASM hacks courtesy of the R&D thread? )
    Creativity:
    Did you have fun with it? Could you tell that it was still a pokemon game? Were you afraid that if you did something you wanted to do you would be judged? Did you put new music in it? Did you try to make custom sprites and tiles?
    Presentation:
    Did you make the game aesthetically pleasing?
    What about it's thread?
    Did your thread make sense ( as far as grammatic are concerned anyways )?

^ my theoretical recipe for a pretty B.A. hack. :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I voted for:
    New Region - Because I like new storylines in different regions.
    Elaborate Storylines - No one likes boring ones.
    Multiple Regions - Well, few hacks have this but it would be amazing if most hack did have more than one region.
    Myths and Legends - I like storylines that include Pokemon myths.
    Returning Characters - Characters from different regions/games that come back; I like that.

dazzle

Scripting Apprentice
    Years
  • I voted for more new pokemon or otherwise known as " fakemon" i really do enjoy seeing the creativity of the spriter... Also new regions are vey nice to see also... More than anything a good rom absolutely has to have a simply amazing storh line. Like for example all of destinjagolds games have amazing story lines, new regions, new maps, and great amazingly sprited legendary pokemon... In my opinion destinedjagolx is the ultimate rom maker... Nuff said

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    You would only need Surf in my hack, I will set up a you can't go there until you get a badge script yet in certain places :)

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2012
    New pokemon? Not unless they are incredible, like the ones planned for Pokemon Crono, those look amazing.

New Region? Definitely. I'm tired of remakes. SS was amazing but largely due to the pokemon following mechanic, most hack remakes are just plain unnecessary.

New Type? Definitely not. Not needed at all.

New Attacks? Maybe, if you can make them look good. If you just slap in the same animation as another attack and call it new then I'm not impressed, and frankly there are plenty of attacks in the games already.

No Gyms/League? Definitely not ruling it out, but I think those give a good interim challenge every so often and an end Pokemon League provides a good goal the whole way.

Elaborate Storyline- I'd say this is the most important thing about a hack aside from mechanics like balance and placement of catchable pokemon.

Apocalyptic Themes- I can take it or leave it. The story needs to be good. It can be about anything.

Multiple Regions- It can be cool but honestly the only reason it was so awesome in gold and silver was the nostalgia factor. It was so unexpected to bring us back to the original region. In a unique hack, I think it would be better to make a longer story in one region.

Easter Eggs? Of course! I love cool hidden things in any game.

Twist Endings are just one narrative trick to making a story engaging, and are welcome when done right.

Myths and Legends? I assume this means Lore, and this is hit or miss. Most of what you see in the way of legends is just about the legendaries, specifically the ones you will be catching later in the game. I am more for adding lore about how the universe works.

Smart Trainers- Definitely. Current-gen pokemon games are way too easy. I miss the challenge of gen 1 and 2.

In-game movies- I definitely respect anyone's ability to make endearing or moving cutscenes.

Kanto? Like you'd see a hack without these.
    Johto? Pretty much the same.
    Hoenn? I'd like to see some of the good ones, like Absol.
    Sinnoh? Definitely. Not nearly well-represented enough in hacks. I would like to see more, there are some excellent pokemon in this generation.
    Unova? Even more so. This gen has the best pokemon since Johto, and I would love to see them present in hacks.

Custom tiles? If you can do them well, sure. But if you can't, stick with already made ones. There's 5 gen's worth to choose from, for god's sake.

Games that feel like real ones-If you can do it well, sure. Rijon Adventures and Flora Sky are great examples of this. Fun to play, even if a bit tired.

In-game Tournaments? Definitely. I always hated how all the tournaments in Game Freak releases were for FAR after the fact and netted you no EXP.

Returning Characters can be cool as long as they aren't screwed up.

Traitor characters- you can do a lot story-wise with these.

Various Terrains? Really? You need to ask about this? How in the world could you make a pokemon game with just forest or grassy areas?

Other:

My biggest peeve is lack of variety in raisable pokemon early on. Rijon Adventures in particular I think does a great job at providing many different types early on: Growlithe, Geodude, Cubone, Psyduck and many other types excluding electric. He even has a eevee early on, which makes way more sense than getting it in the 6th town when your party is lvl 30 but the eevee is only lvl 5.

Also, fixing evolutions is very important. I.e., changing Graveler and Kadabra to evolving by some means other than trading, and all similar instances, to make it doable on a hack. Honestly, I though leveling up by trading was always a stupid mechanic anyway.
    -In addition to this, I would include changing a few late evolutions, for example, the "Deino" evolution track (the sweet new Dark/Dragon pokemon in Black/White) evolves to form #2 at level 54-ish and #3 at level 65-ish. That is way too late, honestly. By the time this pokemon is where you want it to be, you are almost done with the game. That's no fun.

Editing Stats is also a good idea. Not too much, but enough to make some of the pokemon not suck so bad. I like Flareon; it's a great design. But I'd be limiting myself to use it over a just plain superior fire pokemon like Arcanine. The early pokemon games had a bad habit of some pokemon looking neat but having god-awful stats. One of the best things about Black/White is how this is severely reduced. Most of the pokemon are equally usable. I think this is preferrable. Obviously a delicate touch would be needed for something like this.
    -Also, you could make a few changes that make sense. For instance, Deino has a high Att but meh SpAtt. However, it's evolutions have very meh Att but insane SpAtt. It's obvious that SpAtt is this evolution line's main stat, so why is the unevolved pokemon so different? Doesn't really make sense and feels out of place.

Last edited:
    Back